guan01
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the idea, now I know these modern car need this for battery change
Old 04-24-20, 07:07 AM
daybed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Jewcano @EJis2cool Hey guys, do you remember if the reverse camera worked prior to replacing the radio? I just ran into the exact same issue as you described after changing the battery on my 2014, left side of the screen is blank, nav/radio do not work, climate control screen shows "Climate Control system error. Please contact your dealer.", relevant fuses look okay. The only additional problem that I have is that the backup camera does not work when shifted into reverse. I guess I need to pick up a used unit, but just want to make sure something else isn't going on.
Old 04-24-20, 08:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by daybed
@Jewcano @EJis2cool Hey guys, do you remember if the reverse camera worked prior to replacing the radio? I just ran into the exact same issue as you described after changing the battery on my 2014, left side of the screen is blank, nav/radio do not work, climate control screen shows "Climate Control system error. Please contact your dealer.", relevant fuses look okay. The only additional problem that I have is that the backup camera does not work when shifted into reverse. I guess I need to pick up a used unit, but just want to make sure something else isn't going on.
In case you need it this radio is $214
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153871983953
Old 04-24-20, 01:01 PM
Shanegs350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found hooking up the charging cables to the + and - while the battery is disconnected keeps the computer from resetting.

Last edited by Shanegs350; 04-25-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-24-20, 03:02 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty sure it wasn't working. I replaced with a new to me unit (used) and it fixed all my issues.
The following users liked this post:
daybed (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 05:22 PM
daybed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Pretty sure it wasn't working. I replaced with a new to me unit (used) and it fixed all my issues.
That's what I hope will be the case for me as well. I'm kicking myself for not finding this thread before going ahead and changing my car battery.

Originally Posted by peasodos
In case you need it this radio is $214
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153871983953
Thanks for the link, that part number is for a 2013 unit. I think while it will work with my 2014, and the plugs are identical, I'm leaning towards buying a 2014 unit just to be safe.
Old 04-24-20, 05:23 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the link, that part number is for a 2013 unit. I think while it will work with my 2014, and the plugs are identical, I'm leaning towards buying a 2014 unit just to be safe.
2013 and 2014 are a direct swap plugs are exactly the same. I had 2014 in my 2013 GS at one point. That one on eBay already sold.
Old 04-24-20, 06:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My mom's is a 2013 and we put a 14'MY in hers.
However one we installed was newer updated than her 13'MY one so the boot up logo and such was different and the GPS app had some new small features.
Old 04-27-20, 08:55 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
My mom's is a 2013 and we put a 14'MY in hers.
However one we installed was newer updated than her 13'MY one so the boot up logo and such was different and the GPS app had some new small features.
Same: I put a 2014 radio in my 2013 to gain Siri Eyes-free.
Also discovered that ML and non-ML radios are interchangeable.
Old 05-30-20, 05:37 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Sorry for the dig but I was bored and browsing Lexus TD (yeah, I know) I found this tid bit. It's not news but thought I should document it here, it could save someone's radio after all? This is on top of the established general advice to leave the car to sit for 10 minutes after changing a battery.
After the engine switch is turned off, the multi-media module receiver assembly records various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the engine switch off, make sure to wait for the time specified in the following table before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) battery terminal.
Waiting Time before Disconnecting Cable from Negative (-) Battery Terminal Condition Waiting Time Vehicle enrolled in G-BOOK system (w/ Emergency Call Switch) 6 minutes
  1. Vehicle not enrolled in G-BOOK system
  2. Vehicle enrolled in G-BOOK system (w/o Emergency Call Switch)
1 minute
The following 2 users liked this post by Cwang:
AJLex19 (12-22-21), fillerf (05-30-20)
Old 12-22-21, 03:38 AM
vannerpham
Driver School Candidate

My 2015 GS350 radio and SD card also broke when my battery died. When trying to start the car with the dead battery, the whole car and infotainment system hysterically flickers. After going to the dealer, will cost about $3500 to replace the radio. This is absurd that this is happening! Have been a lifelong Toyota/Lexus owner and am so disappointed that this is happening for such a common scenario. I'm so scared that the radio will break again when the battery dies again in a few years. So frustrating. Can I get a show of hands this is happening to? Wondering if we can collectively band together and get Lexus to fix this defect.
Old 12-22-21, 06:09 AM
MCB1970
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vannerpham
My 2015 GS350 radio and SD card also broke when my battery died. When trying to start the car with the dead battery, the whole car and infotainment system hysterically flickers. After going to the dealer, will cost about $3500 to replace the radio. This is absurd that this is happening! Have been a lifelong Toyota/Lexus owner and am so disappointed that this is happening for such a common scenario. I'm so scared that the radio will break again when the battery dies again in a few years. So frustrating. Can I get a show of hands this is happening to? Wondering if we can collectively band together and get Lexus to fix this defect.
Lexus replaced my radio with a refurbished unit out of warranty under good faith. Have you contacted Lexus to see if they would do anything?
Old 12-22-21, 06:29 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Buy a used one on eBay for 1/10 the cost. Swapping it out is not hard either.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (12-22-21)
Old 12-22-21, 06:32 AM
Kingmatt24
Intermediate

Received 184 Likes on 90 Posts

Wow that’s shocking that it’s so common. I replaced my battery early this year and had no issues other than having to break off that stupid retainer thing. The infotainment even updated and gave me the night view for my map
Old 12-22-21, 07:29 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

@vannerpham did you replace the battery yourself or have Lexus do it? At this point its hard to tell, but maybe the failure came as a result of changing the battery. If you had jump-started the bad battery, maybe the radio was actually still working with the weak/dying battery. My car usually sits for days without startup / during cold weather months and when the previous battery starting going, I had to jump it multiple times before I was able to have time to have it replaced. Radio still worked even when the battery didn't have enough juice to start up.

Can't say for sure, but its possible the infotainment issue happened when the new battery was installed. Here were some tips I posted a few months back when I replaced the battery myself:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11044612
  • When you remove the old battery, it should be negative first, then positive. When you install the new battery, positive first then negative.
  • Once you have the new battery in, if you have your foot on the brake and try to start immediately, the car will likely crank the engine but immediately shut off. Instead, i recommend that you press the start button once, then twice without your foot on the pedal to get to the system startup without cranking the engine. The system startup will begin to initialize on-screen - you'll want to let it do its thing. Once complete, you can hit the start button again to shut things down.
  • Now you should start the vehicle as you normally would with your foot on the brake+start button.

If the Lexus dealer was involved in replacing the battery, you should bring it up to them. There are small procedures that need to be followed that can sometimes be missed and they should be liable for the fix if something goes wrong with electronics as a result of them changing the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
byungkuk (12-22-21), websurfer (07-08-23)

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement