GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-19, 10:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Checked all those fuses, and they were good...... Any other suggestions?
Press and [lightly] hold down the audio system power **** for at least 10 seconds. (Note: Do NOT apply too much force when pushing the power **** as it could become stuck.)

If necessary, go through this process multiple times.
Old 11-03-19, 11:13 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Press and [lightly] hold down the audio system power **** for at least 10 seconds. (Note: Do NOT apply too much force when pushing the power **** as it could become stuck.)

If necessary, go through this process multiple times.
Car on off acc mode, brake depressed?

About the button issue, she already had that issue. My dad managed to pop it back off, and then found a piece of tubing that he put inside the button to act as a block. Now when you put the button back on, it can be pressed as hard as you want, and it won't slide into that slot.

Last edited by Jewcano; 11-03-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-03-19, 11:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Car on off acc mode, brake depressed?
Either one should be fine. I'd try engine running. Brake being depressed is unnecessary.
Old 11-03-19, 11:37 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Either one should be fine. I'd try engine running. Brake being depressed is unnecessary.
Tried all 3, nothing. Pressing the power button on the radio does nothing, and holding it down for 10+ seconds multiple times, nothing.
Old 11-03-19, 11:47 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

With the engine off, push and hold down stereo **** and then start the car while still continuing to press power **** for 10 sec after car starts. Fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-03-19, 11:50 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Tried all 3, nothing. Pressing the power button on the radio does nothing, and holding it down for 10+ seconds multiple times, nothing.
Buy another radio, swap it out and see if it works. Here is one for $193.50:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163844983553

There are many on eBay and they have 30 day return policy's. If no fuses are blown, battery is installed correctly, there has to be something wrong with the radio/headunit itself. That's the only other idea I have.

Your symptoms look like a radio with a failed/missing hard drive. I messed around with my radio before trying to swap the hard drive for an ssd and I've seen what you have with the hard drive removed.

The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-04-19)
Old 11-03-19, 12:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'd look into having Lexus use their tools to troubleshoot what the problem is. Maybe if you are really nice (and convincing) you can get them to do it for you at no-charge as a goodwill gesture for [hopeful] future business.
jmano1 (11-06-19)
Old 11-03-19, 12:13 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by jkeller
With the engine off, push and hold down stereo **** and then start the car while still continuing to press power **** for 10 sec after car starts. Fingers crossed for you.
. I'll try that out when we get home. Thanks.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Buy another radio, swap it out and see if it works. Here is one for $193.50:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163844983553

There are many on eBay and they have 30 day return policy's. If no fuses are blown, battery is installed correctly, there has to be something wrong with the radio/headunit itself. That's the only other idea I have.

Your symptoms look like a radio with a failed/missing hard drive. I messed around with my radio before trying to swap the hard drive for an ssd and I've seen what you have with the hard drive removed.

What exactly am I seeing in that picture? AC works fine with the buttons on the radio unit. But no sound, radio, nab, backup camera or the sort. We'll take the car to the dealership and see if they can flash the system. If not and they try to swing a $3k repair /replacement on us, we'll probably try the ebay bit.
Old 11-03-19, 12:18 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I'd look into having Lexus use their tools to troubleshoot what the problem is. Maybe if you are really nice (and convincing) you can get them to do it for you at no-charge as a goodwill gesture for [hopeful] future business.
They have to take it back to the dealer anyway to have it recoated with a special film. My father will ask then.
Old 11-03-19, 01:09 PM
j3rf
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
Had the same thing happen to mine. Lexus had to replace the unit
Yep, radio's probably kaput. Not sure if Lexus would good will replace it since the battery was replaced somewhere else, but worth a shot.
Old 11-03-19, 02:05 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

When mine mess up it did the same thing but i could hear like a hard drive was trying to load but nothing. It would of cost me 3k to replace but i was lucky i had two months left on my warranty. What i learned was next time i need a new battery am taking it to lexus so if they mess it up am not paying for it
wingster (11-06-19)
Old 11-03-19, 04:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

When mine mess up it did the same thing but i could hear like a hard drive was trying to load but nothing. It would of cost me 3k to replace but i was lucky i had two months left on my warranty.

What i learned was next time i need a new battery am taking it to lexus so if they mess it up am not paying for it

Old 11-03-19, 04:31 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

When mine mess up it did the same thing but i could hear like a hard drive was trying to load but nothing. It would of cost me 3k to replace but i was lucky i had two months left on my warranty. What i learned was next time i need a new battery am taking it to lexus so if they mess it up am not paying for it
Yeah what I suspected a dead hard drive would cause there problems.

Dealer would probably push for replacing the entire head unit, if that's the case, buying a used one on eBay is a much cheaper alternative.
Old 11-03-19, 04:34 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

. I'll try that out when we get home. Thanks.

What exactly am I seeing in that picture?
The entire multimedia system, navigation, navigation hard drive is all in the radio/climate control unit.

If the dealer says you need to replace it and they will not cover the cost, buying a used one on eBay is a much cheaper alternative. I suggested to buy it, swap it out and see if everything works again.
Old 11-03-19, 05:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

No one has speculated what triggered the Infotainment system to fail 'supposedly' from replacing the car's battery. Was it just time for the system to konk-out (that's a highly technical term)? I rather doubt it. Was the car's ignition turned On when the battery was disconnected, or turned On when the battery first energized the system? Were the battery terminals somehow mistakenly put on the wrong terminals, even if for a brief nanosecond? Was anyone inside the car peddling around when the battery was replaced and the system energized? It's highly doubtful we will ever know exactly what caused the failure, but it sure would be interesting to know...

Last edited by bclexus; 11-03-19 at 05:30 PM.
Cal916 (11-03-19)

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement