GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 07:10 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Non eventful update. Pops is gonna take the car to the dealer tomorrow. One of the techs there says she's gonna try some diagnostic tests. We'll see what they say :I To add insult to injury, apparently that Lexus battery that was in there was still under warranty too X(. But that was never conveyed to us and I didn't even think of checking cause I figured that was magically the original Lexus battery.
Let us know what happened. I have a feeling the hard drive failed. A mechanical spinning disk working on the order of nanometers in a car environment no matter how well isolated sounds like a horrible idea to me. Hard drives even fail sitting on your desk with no outside force. From what I read in the forums seems like the hard drives are tied to each nav unit so people end up replacing the whole unit. I seriously hope it will never happen to my GS but good to know the units are relatively cheap on eBay.
Old 11-09-19, 02:31 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with jumping somebody off is if it fries your car it's never their fault. Even if they hook the jumper cables up backwards, it's still not their fault. People are like that.
Old 11-09-19, 08:37 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz330
The problem with jumping somebody off is if it fries your car it's never their fault. Even if they hook the jumper cables up backwards, it's still not their fault. People are like that.
I jump started someones car in my apartment complex with my 2013 GS 450h, his car started instantly, just let it run for a few minutes, and he was good to go. No issues with either car.
Old 11-25-19, 12:13 PM
EJis2cool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 🤦🏾‍♂️

Originally Posted by Jewcano
So I had my mom visit me today, and when she was leaving her car wouldn't start. I used my power bank to jump her and we concluded it was a bad battery. Everything was working just fine before. I had a merchandise card to Pepboys so I told her to go there and get a new Bosch battery. Well once they switched the batteries out, now her infotainment screen is screwed up. When you start the car, the Lexus symbol comes on (so the LCD panel works), it goes black for about 15-20 seconds, and then the side menu to the right shows up with 3 options for media, AC, and info. Pressing the menu button or any other button does not work. The mouse will let you hover over the options, but when you move it to go to the left side, it goes there shows a square and shrinks till its gone. I tried the Reset method for the 2014 IS350, and nothing. The AC still works with the buttons under the CD drive, and the cd drive eject feature still works. The power/volume button for the radio does nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Or how to possibly reset this system? I've tried the suggestion in this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-black-3.html

But to no avail. That makes no sense why a simple battery change would kill that system. And I for the life of me, cannot find any write up how reset the infotainment system for the 2013 GS 350. I have attached a few pictures of what it shows.

Hey man so I just changed my battery and the same thing happened to me yesterday. Did you end up with any solutions from the dealership?

Old 11-25-19, 12:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

What the heck are you guys doing to cause this? Are you taking the battery terminal off/installing correctly? This is weird you guys must be doing something wrong.
Old 11-25-19, 12:33 PM
EJis2cool
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
What the heck are you guys doing to cause this? Are you taking the battery terminal off/installing correctly? This is weird you guys must be doing something wrong.
Did nothing wrong just started it after installing and was left with this. I’ve never seen anything like it either. Everything else works though so I’m lost.
Old 11-25-19, 12:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
This sort of thing happens on an unexplained basis, oftentimes with a dealer visit and diagnostic charge involved. That is why it is a good idea to maintain voltage on the car's system so it doesn't happen.
Old 11-25-19, 12:55 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Would it be better to just let the dealer replace the battery? How much do they charge plus labor anyway?
Old 11-25-19, 01:02 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I'm just curious but did you ever at any point in time accidentally touch the terminals to the opposite ones like install it incorrectly for even just a split second? I've changed my GS350 battery just like any other car and nothing happened but it seems like if this problem is an actual real problem looks like we're gonna see more and more pop up. Not good for Lexus reliability.
Old 11-25-19, 01:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Would it be better to just let the dealer replace the battery? How much do they charge plus labor anyway?
The replacement offered by Lexus is a very good 84-month battery, priced fairly and it is the correct physical size that requires no modifications like is required with some replacement batteries I've heard about. And, as I believe you are alluding to, if Lexus causes something like the Infotainment system to go blank or the automatic emergency brake to lock-up or an instrument cluster light to come on, it will be fixed at no-charge.
The following users liked this post:
Cal916 (11-25-19)
Old 11-25-19, 01:18 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Around me they charged around $300. Battery cost is around $120 locally so I figured I just do it myself and save the $180 takes literally a few minutes to do. I just treat it like any other car and I don't think I've ever replaced any battery at the dealer before in the past.
Old 11-25-19, 01:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Around me they charged around $300. Battery cost is around $120 locally so I figured I just do it myself and save the $180 takes literally a few minutes to do. I just treat it like any other car and I don't think I've ever replaced any battery at the dealer before in the past.
I've never heard of Lexus quoting $300 to replace the battery in a GS 350!

The Lexus replacement GR24 size battery is a Lexus branded #00544-MF240-575 (made by Interstate specifically for Lexus) that has a 84-Month Lexus warranty. The retail price for the battery is only about $131.00.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-25-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-25-19, 02:03 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
I've never heard of Lexus quoting $300 to replace the battery in a GS 350!

The Lexus replacement GR24 size battery is a Lexus branded #00544-MF240-575 (made by Interstate specifically for Lexus) that has a 84-Month Lexus warranty. The retail price for the battery is only about $131.00.

Let me see if I can find my receipt. I just had a quote while my car was in the shop like a few months ago I think they charged me for diagnostics too but I just told them that was ridiculous and just got my own battery and changed it there on the spot.

Old 11-25-19, 02:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The replacement offered by Lexus is a very good 84-month battery, priced fairly and it is the correct physical size that requires no modifications like is required with some replacement batteries I've heard about. And, as I believe you are alluding to, if Lexus causes something like the Infotainment system to go blank or the automatic emergency brake to lock-up or an instrument cluster light to come on, it will be fixed at no-charge.
U know me well!!!

If things go bad like this then it makes more sense to just pay the dealer's labor and have them change the battery than paying diagnostic and repair bill$$$.
The following users liked this post:
Cal916 (11-25-19)
Old 11-25-19, 03:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

U know me well!!!

If things go bad like this then it makes more sense to just pay the dealer's labor and have them change the battery than paying diagnostic and repair bill$$$.
Your wonderful wife has told me all about you! I've got the goods on you buster!

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement