GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19 | 05:23 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I replaced the original battery in my 14 RX this summer with a Toyota battery. I can't remember what my Lexus dealer quoted but it was considerably more than the Toyota. Dimensions were the same and I didn't have any fitment issues whatsoever. I do know that my Lexus dealer sells the oil filter for $14 and the Toyota dealer gets $6 for the same filter.
Old 11-25-19 | 05:45 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

It those damn gremlins. It suck when that happen lucky for me i still had warranty
Old 11-26-19 | 07:00 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charley95
I replaced the original battery in my 14 RX this summer with a Toyota battery. I can't remember what my Lexus dealer quoted but it was considerably more than the Toyota. Dimensions were the same and I didn't have any fitment issues whatsoever. I do know that my Lexus dealer sells the oil filter for $14 and the Toyota dealer gets $6 for the same filter.
Yeah for all my oil changes I always buy the filter from the Toyota dealer. Its relatively cheap and OEM.
Old 11-26-19 | 08:56 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
The replacement offered by Lexus is a very good 84-month battery, priced fairly and it is the correct physical size that requires no modifications like is required with some replacement batteries I've heard about. And, as I believe you are alluding to, if Lexus causes something like the Infotainment system to go blank or the automatic emergency brake to lock-up or an instrument cluster light to come on, it will be fixed at no-charge.
What kind of freak’n illegal ripoff is this? I live 200 miles from the closest Lexus dealer & if my battery dies, I’m screwed! I want to know how this stupid system is bypassed. I should be able to buy whatever battery fits my car & install it myself or have it installed by whomever I choose!
Old 11-26-19 | 09:00 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
What kind of freak’n illegal ripoff is this? I live 200 miles from the closest Lexus dealer & if my battery dies, I’m screwed! I want to know how this stupid system is bypassed. I should be able to buy whatever battery fits my car & install it myself or have it installed by whomever I choose!
I installed a larger capacity diehard battery myself and had zero issues. The real question is what are the people who are having this problem doing differently during the install than me or anyone else who's successfully installed the battery. I've also had my battery disconnected multiple times doing work on my car, no issues.
Old 11-26-19 | 09:04 AM
praetor
Racer

You can buy whatever battery you want. I went with a gold series Die Hard. No issues.
Old 11-27-19 | 02:00 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

OK Guys, SO update:

It was at the dealer for quite a while. They tested it all out, same thing with them (one of the sales guys said the same thing happened in his GS, and it worked after that reset). They tried ordering a 3rd party hdd (no idea through whom though). Sure enough, that didn't work, so their next path was to replace the entire unit. Fortunately though, one of the techs there had a GS they were working on and swapped a known working system into my mothers car. It worked just fine. So we know the entire unit needs to be replaced. I'm scouring ebay right now and found a good one. Its a 2014 one tough. Before biting the bullet I just wanna make sure 100% that it will work plug and play. The price difference for the 14 vs the 13 is about $100. Lemme know
Old 11-27-19 | 02:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
OK Guys, SO update:

It was at the dealer for quite a while. They tested it all out, same thing with them (one of the sales guys said the same thing happened in his GS, and it worked after that reset). They tried ordering a 3rd party hdd (no idea through whom though). Sure enough, that didn't work, so their next path was to replace the entire unit. Fortunately though, one of the techs there had a GS they were working on and swapped a known working system into my mothers car. It worked just fine. So we know the entire unit needs to be replaced. I'm scouring ebay right now and found a good one. Its a 2014 one tough. Before biting the bullet I just wanna make sure 100% that it will work plug and play. The price difference for the 14 vs the 13 is about $100. Lemme know
2013 and 2014 are interchangable, plugs are exactly the same. I did this swap a couple years ago. I currently have 2015, but that required some extra work.
Old 11-27-19 | 02:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by peasodos
2013 and 2014 are interchangable, plugs are exactly the same. I did this swap a couple years ago. I currently have 2015, but that required some extra work.
And they all came with GPS right? My pops mentioned the guy at the dealership mentioned to make sure it is a GPS model? I don't see anything on the faceplate that is supposed to differentiate that?
Old 11-27-19 | 02:11 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

And they all came with GPS right? My pops mentioned the guy at the dealership mentioned to make sure it is a GPS model? I don't see anything on the faceplate that is supposed to differentiate that?
The GPS antenna plugs into the back of the radio, there is a little splitter box attached to the bottom side of the radio, if the new one doesn't have it you just transfer your old one to it. Thats GPS antenna is already inside your car, not part of the radio. There is only mark levinson and not-mark levinson, but apparently it's just the logo on the front, units are exactly the same.
The following users liked this post:
Jewcano (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19 | 02:15 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

^That bottom left one?

Old 11-27-19 | 02:21 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

^That bottom left one?
No I'm talking about this circled in red. It bolts to the bottom of the radio. You just take the existing one from your radio and put it on the replacement. It's technically not part of the radio, thats why most of the listings take it off and sell it seperatly.

Jewcano (11-27-19)
Old 11-27-19 | 03:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

OK Guys, SO update:

Jewcano - Could the technician or sales guy explain what caused it to happen? Did the sales guy that had the same problem as you replace his battery like you did?
Old 11-27-19 | 04:17 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Jewcano - Could the technician or sales guy explain what caused it to happen? Did the sales guy that had the same problem as you replace his battery like you did?
It doesn"t sound like they know exactly how or why it happened and the only fix is to replace the entire radio with a new/used working one. This is crazy. Sounds like something Lexus should figure out asap. Its sounds to me like maybe the hard drive for the navigation is getting damaged with a battery replacement.
Old 11-27-19 | 04:51 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
It doesn"t sound like they know exactly how or why it happened and the only fix is to replace the entire radio with a new/used working one. This is crazy. Sounds like something Lexus should figure out asap. Its sounds to me like maybe the hard drive for the navigation is getting damaged with a battery replacement.
Yeah, it really is a strange happening. They may not ever find the cause of the failure, or the connection with replacing the battery.

Toyota/Lexus might need to get NASA involved like they did for the 'sudden acceleration' that was found to be caused by the drivers or their loose or aftermarket floor mat jamming the accelerator pedal. That little matter shed many billions of dollars off Toyota's market cap, and billions from shareholders and stakeholders. What really pissed me off was how Congress accused Toyota of wrongdoing but after NASA proved that it was not caused by Toyota no one publicly apologized to Toyota Motor Corp. And, rather than continuing to fight in court Toyota went ahead and settled the suits against them as if they were at fault.
gadgetman1 (11-29-19)

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement