GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-19 | 06:14 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by bclexus
Jewcano - Could the technician or sales guy explain what caused it to happen? Did the sales guy that had the same problem as you replace his battery like you did?
He's saying he did the same thing. Replacing the battery, and it did the same issue, but his was resolved by unplugging the battery and letting it sit for 10-15 mins and reconnecting it and it 'rebooted'.
Old 11-27-19 | 06:23 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jewcano
He's saying he did the same thing. Replacing the battery, and it did the same issue, but his was resolved by unplugging the battery and letting it sit for 10-15 mins and reconnecting it and it 'rebooted'.
Yeah, it will be a hard one to solve.
Old 11-27-19 | 07:08 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Yeah, it will be a hard one to solve.
It's w/e though. I went ahead and ordered a 2014 one from ebay. $224 shipped. Hope everything works out well.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-28-19)
Old 11-27-19 | 07:17 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's w/e though. I went ahead and ordered a 2014 one from ebay. $224 shipped. Hope everything works out well.
That's another costly endeavor to replace a battery, not to mention the wasted time visiting the dealership.

I hope everything works out well too...
The following users liked this post:
Jewcano (11-27-19)
Old 11-29-19 | 07:30 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

I'm glad its not too expensive for replacement. It seems like this will slowly become more and more common if all that is happening is changing out the battery causing for the dead GPS. Sometimes the battery dies out catastrophically out of random chance (happened to my dad once where one of the plates in the battery just separated so battery just one day gave out 0V) and there's nothing you can do to maintain battery when dropping new one in. Also I know many car shops that would leave battery disconnected while working on something in the car like electrical or anything. Like if you had to swap out an ECU or anything in the car with multiple connections I wouldn't want to keep power flowing into it while disconnecting it one by one removing power from it unevenly.
Old 12-09-19 | 07:11 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Welp, new (new to us) unit came in, and after *****ing and wrangling the cables out, and swapping the units, HUZZAH. It works JUST fine.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jewcano:
CAKETOWN (12-09-19), Cal916 (12-09-19), jonathancl (12-09-19), tompass (12-12-23)
Old 12-09-19 | 08:26 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Welp, new (new to us) unit came in, and after *****ing and wrangling the cables out, and swapping the units, HUZZAH. It works JUST fine.
Feels good, eh? You got a great deal on the replacement, too.
Old 12-09-19 | 08:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

So what are you going to do the next time you replace your battery, take the radio out first?
Old 12-09-19 | 11:11 PM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Am taking it to the dealer. Let them mess it up
Old 12-10-19 | 03:10 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Feels good, eh? You got a great deal on the replacement, too.
It does....fingers were crossed, and when I saw the hdd logo on the screen that it was booting up, I was happy . And no kidding. I was surprised they were selling it so cheap. Everyone else was asking either $350+ with warranty, or $190 without warranty. And he had it for $225 with warranty. Not to mention its 1.75 years younger than her old unit and was more updated too! So newer intro screen and such was different.

Originally Posted by peasodos
So what are you going to do the next time you replace your battery, take the radio out first?
Actually, interesting that you mentioned that. We disconnected the battery to install this unit and worked out fine. I'm not sure what happened to be honest. Maybe some novice at pepboys screwed it up. No idea. We checked the dashcam but unfortunately it overwrote that part so we couldn't see a before and after .
Old 12-10-19 | 10:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, interesting that you mentioned that. We disconnected the battery to install this unit and worked out fine. I'm not sure what happened to be honest. Maybe some novice at pepboys screwed it up. No idea. We checked the dashcam but unfortunately it overwrote that part so we couldn't see a before and after .
Therein lies the problem - no one really knows what truly triggers these various problems people have other than that they replaced their batteries.
Old 12-10-19 | 10:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Therein lies the problem - no one really knows what truly triggers these various problems people have other than that they replaced their batteries.
Apparently disconnecting his battery, same thing you would do in replacing the battery, did not fry his head unit again. I've actually removed the head unit without disconnecting the battery and never had a problem, none of those plugs are receiving any power when the car is off.
Old 12-10-19 | 11:30 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

I think Toyota is putting junks in our cars or some just got a bad batch. Mine went bad in just less than 8 months without touching the battery. This unit is a $12K piece of junk!
Old 12-10-19 | 12:31 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

But what about ItzFilyO radio dying without ever replacing the battery and only being 8 months old. These units seem like a ticking time bomb to me.
Old 12-10-19 | 12:34 PM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
But what about ItzFilyO radio dying without ever replacing the battery and only being 8 months old. These units seem like a ticking time bomb to me.
It's probably more of an isolated incident.

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement