GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

OEM battery replaced with Optima Red Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 10:47 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default OEM battery replaced with Optima Red Top

I replaced my original battery (7 years old) last night with an Optima Red-Top Group 25 (got it here from Advanced Auto Parts for $160 after 20% off)
I have had great experiences with Optima Reds in the past and felt this was a good choice to power my future.
Installation was easy and I had no issues with the tie down or loose fit. The battery comes with a piece on top that can be clipped to the bottom to raise the battery to OEM height

Battery swap was a breeze

Old 11-06-19, 11:35 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice. Did you maintain power before disconnecting the battery? I went with the a DIe Hard battery but haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Old 11-06-19, 11:38 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

I wanted to maintain power, but my battery charger and trickle chargers did not liking supplying power unless there was a battery.

Instead, I loosened both terminals, had the new battery staged, and swapped the old one out and the new one is so that the car was not disconnected from power for more than 10 seconds.

The only side affects I found were my heated seats forgot I left them on, and the touch unlock reverted to default drivers door only. Carista app quickly swapped that setting back.
Old 11-06-19, 11:42 AM
praetor
Racer

Cool. I figure I can just user jumper cables from the wife's car to maintain power for a few seconds. Good to know.
Old 11-06-19, 11:59 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

I found that the cables did get in the way of getting the battery out but best of luck, report back
Old 11-06-19, 10:15 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Nice. Did you maintain power before disconnecting the battery? I went with the a DIe Hard battery but haven't had a chance to install it yet.
Out of curiosity why do you care if power is lost? I went with a yellow top due to my stereo system and it didn't reset any settings including the programed seats or phone Bluetooth settings. I don't think i lost any programed radio stations either but that was months ago and I don't use the factory radio often.
Old 11-07-19, 06:12 AM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by YaMomma
Out of curiosity why do you care if power is lost? I went with a yellow top due to my stereo system and it didn't reset any settings including the programed seats or phone Bluetooth settings. I don't think i lost any programed radio stations either but that was months ago and I don't use the factory radio often.
I don't want to have to redo any settings or risk the Nav system not starting up like the other thread. I'm sure it's not related but I'd rather not risk losing my settings. I recall once I must have left my lights on or something and my car was dead. I had to get a jump and lost all my settings. Had to redo everything.
Old 11-07-19, 06:16 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

For short term power losses you will not usually see many or any settings get lost or changed. The longer it is without power the more likely you are to lose settings, sunroof learning, etc
Old 11-09-19, 02:57 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I had a Die Hard installed at Sears today in my 2013. (Had original battery)

No loss of any settings was good.
The following users liked this post:
mrplesh (11-09-19)
Old 11-09-19, 08:27 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I've disconnected my battery for over an hour working on my car. I've changed the battery. There is absolutely zero issues. The car remembers all your radio presets, maintenance reminders, and other settings. The only thing I had to do was press the auto power folding mirror button to turn it on again and set my analog clock since I have 2013.
mrplesh (11-09-19)
Old 11-10-19, 05:10 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I've disconnected my battery for over an hour working on my car. I've changed the battery. There is absolutely zero issues. The car remembers all your radio presets, maintenance reminders, and other settings. The only thing I had to do was press the auto power folding mirror button to turn it on again and set my analog clock since I have 2013.
Did you do auto power folding mirror after market?
I have a 2013 Luxury trim but no APFM.
Old 11-10-19, 08:08 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Did you do auto power folding mirror after market?
I have a 2013 Luxury trim but no APFM.
I retrofitted it myself. I think I was the first in the 4gs forums to do it. Here is the thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...g-mirrors.html
mrplesh (11-11-19)
Old 11-11-19, 06:25 AM
praetor
Racer

Swapped out my battery this weekend. My Sears Die Hard battery was a bit shorter than OEM, The battery came with a shim although it was still a tad too short but no biggy. Despite trying to keep power, I lost power for a split second when a cable fell off. Nothing loss. I should be good battery wise for 3+ years.
Old 11-11-19, 07:07 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

These cars get their battery unhooked all the time when taking them into the shop. Also several Lexus techs have told us that they do nothing different when swapping batteries and do not hook up anything to maintain power. I would not worry one bit about maintaining power. If Lexus techs don't do it then why should you?
Old 11-11-19, 07:45 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Peasodos, how long did your battery last in your 2013 450H. I have the same year, and haven't had any issues. Going on 7 years and in Florida as well, so I am actually surprised it has lasted this long. Plus, I know we have the Panasonic vented battery which costs an arm and a leg. Without searching the forum, since I am sure you wrote it up, which replacement battery did you go with? Thanks.

Quick Reply: OEM battery replaced with Optima Red Top