GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Parking brake inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-19, 11:32 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Haha yup, funny timing. This happened to me today. First message was "parking brake inoperable," then the car tried to turn on and nothing but clicks. Tried the above method of starting up just the electronic first, then engine, no dice. Tried the same with all the headlights/DRL off, no dice. Ended up jumping the car, at the Lexus dealer now getting a new battery... I would normally go somewhere else for the battery, but after reading the Pep Boys horror story on here, I decided not to risk it. The extra $60-70 is worth the peace of mind, IMO. Car is a 2013 with (I'm pretty sure) original battery.
Old 11-13-19, 11:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Haha yup, funny timing. This happened to me today. First message was "parking brake inoperable," then the car tried to turn on and nothing but clicks. Tried the above method of starting up just the electronic first, then engine, no dice. Tried the same with all the headlights/DRL off, no dice. Ended up jumping the car, at the Lexus dealer now getting a new battery... I would normally go somewhere else for the battery, but after reading the Pep Boys horror story on here, I decided not to risk it. The extra $60-70 is worth the peace of mind, IMO. Car is a 2013 with (I'm pretty sure) original battery.
I'm curious, is there a reason why you haven't had your battery load tested?
Old 11-13-19, 11:48 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by bclexus
Are you talking about as a preventative measure, or to confirm that I need a new battery before replacing it? If you mean to confirm that I need a new battery, they will be testing before they replace. I guess I am just assuming it will need a replacement.
Old 11-13-19, 11:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Are you talking about as a preventative measure, or to confirm that I need a new battery before replacing it? If you mean to confirm that I need a new battery, they will be testing before they replace. I guess I am just assuming it will need a replacement.
No, I was seeking to learn why you had not had your battery load tested on an on-going basis over the last few years since it was well beyond its typical life some years ago.
Old 11-13-19, 12:00 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

No, I was seeking to learn why you had not had your battery load tested on an on-going basis over the last few years since it was well beyond its typical life some years ago.
Better things to do I guess, haha. And never thought to ask my mechanic when it was in for inspection. Batteries last a long time in this climate, so most people don't worry about it too much, but yeah, it would have been wise, as it could have left me stranded.
Old 11-14-19, 10:11 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor
Glad to know it was an easy fix for you. Just to confirm, you had the parking brakes applied while the car was parked for 8 days, correct?
yes. It was set, in the auto mode.
Old 07-26-20, 05:06 AM
RobvRobv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same error "Parking brake inoperable" after not driving much during lockdown, so suspected weak battery. Made many attempts to start it in various combinations, but no luck at first, the Display took ages to boot up, and Dashboard went thru the System Check but never got Ready sign. Found this thread, saw posts for starting up the electronics (dashboard & display) first with just the Start button, wait a bit, then put foot on the brake and start the engine. I had tried that but hadn't worked earlier, but it sounded logical and so I reckoned I was on the right track, so just took the guidance a step further and after the Display had settled I switched off the screen as well to save power, obviously the lights/radio/AC were off too, and then there was enough residual charge to start the engine first time! Thanks!
Old 02-23-22, 06:30 PM
dawokffy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine too. But I have a lake in my trunk

Inspection found a pool of water about 3 inches deep in my trunk causing the parking brake actuator to fail. Appears a seal is broken in the trunk, causing the water damage. I was quoted $2500 to fix.
Old 02-26-22, 02:05 PM
Neil64
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the $2500 repair for the trunk seal repair or the emergency brake actuator? Wouldn't water shorting the circuit snap a fuse, a relay, etc.? I bought my GS450h with the emergency brake system disabled. Selling dealer stated it happened when lot guy tried jump starting the car. The emergency brake actuator is under the car and constantly subjected to the elements so I doubt that fried without the fuse protecting it. The GS450h has a 30 amp fuse for the emergency brake circuit located on the top of the trunk mounted 12v battery. Not sure where fuse is on the GS350 but I'd start looking for it before dropping $2500 for new emergency brake system parts.

The following users liked this post:
Sprintman (03-06-22)