Parking brake inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-19, 11:05 AM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking brake inoperable

***Reposting in the correct section (4th gen)***

It's starting to get cold here in NY and one morning last week when i turned on My 2014 GS 350 the dash illuminated with message "Parking brake inoperable; check braking system" with blinking red Park light. I tried googling the problem and there is actually a thread here on this exact same issue but no one seem to be able to put their finger on what causes it. Most of the comments were pointing to weak battery which i can rule out now as i replaced the battery with a brand new one from Costco today. I am still getting the error. I tried using the OBD scanner and it's not showing any codes so there is nothing to erase.

My question is - my car is not locked in parking brake mode and i am able to drive the car normally (haven't seen any difference in driving). Is it safe to drive the car with that warning message? I almost never use my parking brakes so, assuming its safe to drive, I was thinking to leave this issue alone for now. Car is not under warranty. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-12-19, 11:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Just park on a level surface for now cause u don't want that transmission parking pawl to break and u should be using ur parking brake at all times so u don't put too much stress on the pawl to hold the car.

This happened to my loaner NX before and the dealer had to fix it and this is the problem with electronic stuff, when they crap out we can't fix it.
Old 11-12-19, 11:33 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

The thread you are referring to where the owner had the parking brake inoperable issue was likely caused by a weak, dead or disconnected battery that (if I recall correctly) prevented the owner from driving the car because the parking brake was engaged and could not be disengaged.

The parking brake on the GS 350 is usually set to automatically engage when the car is put into Park. Is your car setup to automatically engage the parking brake when the car is put into Park?

You said that you replaced your battery today, so I presume your battery was determined to be weak or dead. Was your car hard to start at the same time as the parking brake light showed up? What was the timeline of events pertaining to the battery indicating it was weak and needed to be replaced and the parking brake light coming on. In other words, when you tried to start the car with a weak battery the starter (trying to turn-over the engine) took practically all the battery's power which dropped the battery's voltage to near zero - which may have caused the parking brake issue.
Old 11-12-19, 11:55 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the battery terminals and letting your car completely drain by going to your car and pressing on the start button for like 10 seconds while the battery is disconnected and then reconnecting back the battery and seeing if there is any difference? I'd give that a shot to see if it changes anything maybe to reset it.
Old 11-12-19, 02:53 PM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The thread you are referring to where the owner had the parking brake inoperable issue was likely caused by a weak, dead or disconnected battery that (if I recall correctly) prevented the owner from driving the car because the parking brake was engaged and could not be disengaged.

The parking brake on the GS 350 is usually set to automatically engage when the car is put into Park. Is your car setup to automatically engage the parking brake when the car is put into Park?

You said that you replaced your battery today, so I presume your battery was determined to be weak or dead. Was your car hard to start at the same time as the parking brake light showed up? What was the timeline of events pertaining to the battery indicating it was weak and needed to be replaced and the parking brake light coming on. In other words, when you tried to start the car with a weak battery the starter (trying to turn-over the engine) took practically all the battery's power which dropped the battery's voltage to near zero - which may have caused the parking brake issue.
Yes there is an "auto" switch to enable parking breaks automatically and yes i had it set at "auto" when the issue happened. I did a load test myself (using check tester) and the battery came up weak but the morning when this happened the car started normally with no indication that the battery was weak. I will take the battery to autozone to make sure it was indeed weak.
I will also try to disconnect the negative terminal and let the car drain completely as imjohnphan indicated below and report back.
Old 11-12-19, 03:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

HERE is what happened with another owner's parking brake issue like yours. You may want to read the entire thread as it appears a number of other GS 350 owners have had the same problem...all having the same common denominator - a weak or dead battery.

PS - There's been a lot of talk recently about batteries. Don't think for a minute that a weak or dead battery won't cause 'issues' with any number of things (emergency parking brake, A/C, ECUs, MAF sensor, etc.) on your car.

Last edited by bclexus; 11-12-19 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 04:02 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

HERE is what happened with another owner's parking brake issue like yours. You may want to read the entire thread as it appears a number of other GS 350 owners have had the same problem...all having the same common denominator - a weak or dead battery.

PS - There's been a lot of talk recently about batteries. Don't think for a minute that a weak or dead battery won't cause 'issues' with any number of things (emergency parking brake, A/C, ECUs, MAF sensor, etc.) on your car.
Are we finally getting into the Germans' territory now where our cars are too advanced and have too many electronics and now they're starting to go bad?
The following users liked this post:
Sprintman (03-06-22)
Old 11-12-19, 04:08 PM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Yes, this is the thread I was referring to in my original post. And that's why replacing the battery was the first thing I did but no go. I will try and drain the car completely and hope it resets.
Old 11-12-19, 04:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by endeavor
Yes, this is the thread I was referring to in my original post. And that's why replacing the battery was the first thing I did but no go. I will try and drain the car completely and hope it resets.
Drain the car! What do you mean?

As the guy stated in his update: "The technician found Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C13A7 Actuator Malfunction. The assumption is that when the battery died, that there wasn't enough power for the actuator and it threw a code. All the technician did was erase the DTC and everything is fine now."

To correct your problem you are likely going to have to do the same thing he had done... Dontcha think?
endeavor (11-12-19)
Old 11-12-19, 04:18 PM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Are we finally getting into the Germans' territory now where our cars are too advanced and have too many electronics and now they're starting to go bad?
Exactly my thought. I am ex BMW and finally switched to Lexus this year after getting tired of the maintenance. While its no BMW, I am happy with my GS so far. Hope this is an easy problem to fix.
Sprintman (03-06-22)
Old 11-12-19, 04:25 PM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Drain the car! What do you mean?

As the guy stated in his update: "The technician found Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C13A7 Actuator Malfunction. The assumption is that when the battery died, that there wasn't enough power for the actuator and it threw a code. All the technician did was erase the DTC and everything is fine now."

To correct your problem you are likely going to have to do the same thing he had done... Dontcha think?
I meant removing the negative terminal and pressing the start button for 10 sec to drain the car of any residual power to reset the memory. I am not getting any codes on my OBD scanner, then again its cheap $20 scanner. I will take it to autozone to see if they get any codes.
Old 11-12-19, 08:11 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

What synchronicities! This just happened to me yesterday too!

After not driving my car for 8-days, I found that I could not start the car and too had the fabulous "Parking Brake Inoperable" error message. I suspected it to be the battery after I realized that while the electronics were on the ON position, all were on except the radio head-unit. I concluded that there was not enough power to get to all of the electronics.

What was my solution? Rather than to START the engine and FIRE UP the electronics all at the same time (huge power draw), I decided to just FIRE UP the electronics first by doing a power on (double press Start Engine button without your foot on the brake). After the electronics were on, I then FIRED UP the engine by holding onto the brake and tap the Start Engine once more. The engine started without any issues!

I suspect that my battery was not completely discharged but was borderline weak. This method obviously will not work on a weak or completely discharged battery.
RobvRobv (07-26-20)
Old 11-13-19, 12:06 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod

After not driving my car for 8-days, I found that I could not start the car and too had the fabulous "Parking Brake Inoperable" error message. I suspected it to be the battery after I realized that while the electronics were on the ON position, all were on except the radio head-unit. I concluded that there was not enough power to get to all of the electronics.

What was my solution? Rather than to START the engine and FIRE UP the electronics all at the same time (huge power draw), I decided to just FIRE UP the electronics first by doing a power on (double press Start Engine button without your foot on the brake). After the electronics were on, I then FIRED UP the engine by holding onto the brake and tap the Start Engine once more. The engine started without any issues!

I suspect that my battery was not completely discharged but was borderline weak. This method obviously will not work on a weak or completely discharged battery.
Probably time to test and get a new battery. I've parked my car for a month outside and it started up right away when I got back from vacation.
Old 11-13-19, 06:55 AM
endeavor
Driver School Candidate

Glad to know it was an easy fix for you. Just to confirm, you had the parking brakes applied while the car was parked for 8 days, correct?
Old 11-13-19, 07:15 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

I like this. I do this in many of my cars as well when it gets really cold. These cars have tons and tons of electronics that are powering up nowadays and it doesnt hurt to wait an extra 5 seconds or so. Especially for the Lambo when you switch it to the ON position there are like 3 different pumps that start up and you can hear it so I wait a solid minute for all those pumps to prime and finish before actually starting the car.
RobvRobv (07-26-20)

Quick Reply: Parking brake inoperable