GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Y Rated vs W Rated tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-19, 02:29 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Y Rated vs W Rated tires

I was at my local Costco and the salesperson informed me that they would not install the Bridgestone Potenzas RE980A/S W rated because my 2015 F Sports requires Y rated tires in the rear although, the fronts can take a lesser rated tire. They would only install Michellins due to the higher rating. So I went to a local Discount Tire and they said that the Bridgestones would work perfectly. I do not track the car. Just your typical spirited driving and from time to time your 80 plus highway speed. I cant imagine, I will ever go 160 miles per hour. I guess I would be more concern about the suspension if it makes a difference. As it is, I am going with a slightly wider tire. Any issues? Thoughts?
Old 11-25-19, 03:00 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Oh for gosh sakes I am a Costco member, but would never buy anything automotive from them for the reason you just experienced. 168MPH vs 186MPH Discount Tire folks are real tire people and understand. If a tire is truly wrong for the vehicle, they will let you know and won't install. Costco will also not install tires unless they came stock with the vehicle As far as cars go - They are a bunch of idiots.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
AJLex19 (11-25-19), Im2bz2p345 (11-26-19)
Old 11-25-19, 03:25 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

"Oh for gosh sakes" "As far as cars go - They are a bunch of idiots." Sorry LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for answering my questions
Old 11-25-19, 03:29 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

You wont have any problem with running a tire that is one rating higher or lower than your OEM tires. Keep in mind that those speed ratings typically don't play since we aren't traveling on those speeds - those speeds are indicators of the level of performance the tire can handle safely at that highest speed.

There may be minute differences in stiffness, sidewall, compound and rubber type used which will affect the overall ride. Think about the non F sport GS350 with the same engine/transmission/hp as an F-Sport RWD...the non F sport premium comes stock with 18" wheels and V rated tires (149mph).

F-sport or not, basically the same car, similar weight, same engine, same power to the wheels - you'd be fine running any tire rated H, V, Y, W or ZR...the only difference will be at the highest speeds and general performance characteristics which most of us won't feel at the speeds we are typically traveling.
Old 11-25-19, 03:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Oh for gosh sakes I am a Costco member, but would never buy anything automotive from them for the reason you just experienced. As far as cars go - They are a bunch of idiots.

Lou
Originally Posted by mrminsky
"Oh for gosh sakes" "As far as cars go - They are a bunch of idiots." Sorry LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for answering my questions
Same goes for Walmart, Sam's Club and Victoria's Secret (just kidding!) or any other similar type store.
Old 11-25-19, 03:50 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

They are not idiots; they have rules and are following them.
I am not sure what the GS top speed is; perhaps Lexus might publish what ratings are appropriate.
I think Costco goes by OEM rating. Anyways, Wheel Works has always matched Costco prices, including sales, for me.
I love Costco...
Old 11-25-19, 04:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I am not sure what the GS top speed is; perhaps Lexus might publish what ratings are appropriate.
I think Costco goes by OEM rating. Anyways, Wheel Works has always matched Costco prices, including sales, for me.
I love Costco...
Consumer Affairs
Costco - Tires Reviews
The following users liked this post:
Cal916 (11-25-19)
Old 11-26-19, 06:59 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
Consumer Affairs
Costco - Tires Reviews
BC, I guess I struggle with the word evil; I save that word for evil people. Costco ain't evil.
While I don't buy tires from Costco, a whole lotta people do.
In the South Bay Area you need anappointment; the tire guys are packed all the time.
I do use their advertised prices as leverage.
One reason I buy from Wheel Works (Firestone Company) is I get an alignment, full brake inspection, etc.
Old 11-26-19, 07:10 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I love Costco...
Top speed is 144, Costco lacks common sense.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus-gs/ke439.html
Old 11-26-19, 08:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

BC, I guess I struggle with the word evil; I save that word for evil people. Costco ain't evil.
While I don't buy tires from Costco, a whole lotta people do.
In the South Bay Area you need anappointment; the tire guys are packed all the time.
I do use their advertised prices as leverage.
One reason I buy from Wheel Works (Firestone Company) is I get an alignment, full brake inspection, etc.
I don't recall seeing the word 'evil' mentioned by anyone in this thread.
Old 11-26-19, 08:37 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Costco as a corporation aren't idiots but ahead of the curve. 1) Get people to buy slightly pricier tires and 2) By forcing people to abide by OEM specs, they protect them selves from certain lawsuits. You know the lawsuits where McDonalds made someone fat, gun manufacturers kill people, screens are measured diagonally and not horizontally, ...etc.

If you truly read on Costco's business model, they are geniuses way ahead of the curve. Their stock prices shows it.
Old 11-26-19, 07:12 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

Actually, I ended up calling a few of the larger tire places here in Atlanta and I ended up getting a pretty decent deal on a set of Continentals DWS06 which are actually Y rated tires. The only reason, I brought up the differences between Y and W is because the service manager at Costco refused to sell me a set of Bridgestones RE980 all-season tires due to the W rating. He suggested the higher-priced Michelin A/S 3+.and. I honestly did not feel like spending the extra money. I never thought about the Y vs W until he brought it up. I figured these are all premium tires in a high-performance category probably well suited for a sedan such as a GS, Nothing against Michelins, I just don't think they are worth the extra 20 percent premium vs another high-end brand. I actually would have purchased the Bridgestones from the this tire center, but the Continentals were priced even better.
Old 11-28-19, 07:00 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't recall seeing the word 'evil' mentioned by anyone in this thread.
Agreed. Mea Culpa BC.
I meant that idiot is not the term I would use to describe a business practice that I don't agree with.
At least Costco's practice of OEM tires.
Personally I use a full service vendor because they will do an alignment check, brake check, suspension check, etc.
Evil is the wrong word. Period.
All good.
Old 11-28-19, 07:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. Mea Culpa BC.
I meant that idiot is not the term I would use to describe a business practice that I don't agree with.
At least Costco's practice of OEM tires.
Personally I use a full service vendor because they will do an alignment check, brake check, suspension check, etc.
Evil is the wrong word. Period.
All good.
Yes, all good!
Old 11-28-19, 09:22 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 609 Likes on 405 Posts

Generally speaking, you need the same load rating or higher and you can do any speed rating you want, but do not exceed the rating on the tires, obviously.

Places like Costco have their own odd set of rules, and they basically won't do anything other than what the car came with, period. In the past when they had a good price on a tire, I just bought the tires because they wouldn't install them for me.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Y Rated vs W Rated tires