GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If you replace ATF - The ECM Knows!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 12:50 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's true that the average vehicle on the road today is about 12 years old, which likely has over 100k miles on the odometer. A 2009 study found that there were far more vehicles younger than 10 years of age on the road than older, but that trend has reversed as of 2017 data: cars 10 or more years old now outnumber those newer. Both studies noted fewer eight-year-old vehicles on the road than vehicles aged nine to 11 years of age, with the 2017 study expanding that group to 14 years. Less than a third of the vehicles in use today are five years old or newer, while less than one percent are 25 years of age or older.

What I think is interesting is how long new vehicles are kept by the original owner. In 2006 the average length of ownership was 52 months whereas today ownership has extended to about 80 months. The vehicle brand that is kept the longest is [of course] Toyota! But since Toyota tries to differentiate its luxury Lexus brand from its Toyota brand another interesting bit of information is revealed. While the Toyota brand may be #1 on the list for the longest kept vehicle, Lexus vehicles don't even make the list. But why is that? The reason why is because most people that buy a Lexus are buying not only the built-in [Toyota] reliability, but they are also buying a powerful luxury name brand. People that buy luxury brand vehicles usually do not want to drive old, outdated luxury vehicles, therefore original Lexus owners usually don't keep them very long instead choosing to always drive a fresh new model. The second or third owner of a [used] Lexus may indeed keep their vehicle even longer than the 80 months cited above, but I would say the average original owner of a new Lexus keeps it a much shorter time.
Yeah so what about those second and third owners? The lifetime of the vehicle doesn't stop after it trades between owners. Your statement regarding the average vehicle age of 12 years also backs the notion that 70k is nothing these days and with 144 months being on the road with the average around 1k miles a month so thats around 150k. And that is the average. I would say that Lexus definitely lasts way longer than the average and probably stays on the road way longer too. I see way more high mileage Lexus cars than many other brands.
Old 11-30-19, 01:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Yeah so what about those second and third owners? The lifetime of the vehicle doesn't stop after it trades between owners. Your statement regarding the average vehicle age of 12 years also backs the notion that 70k is nothing these days and with 144 months being on the road with the average around 1k miles a month so thats around 150k. And that is the average. I would say that Lexus definitely lasts way longer than the average and probably stays on the road way longer too. I see way more high mileage Lexus cars than many other brands.
I never said that the lifetime of the vehicle stopped when the original owner traded it. You'll probably see more high mileage and older Ford Explorers and Honda Accords on the road than any other vehicle, but that doesn't mean that they last longer than a Lexus. All I'm saying is that you'll rarely see the original owner of a Lexus driving it for as long as you keep your cars. Most Lexus owners purchase a Lexus more for its status symbol and quality than for its reliability. That doesn't mean a Lexus can't last just as long as any other vehicle, if not longer...

Here is the average age of the top 20 for original ownership (Lexus is no where near the top 20 for the reason I cited):
  1. Ford Explorer: 8.9 years
  2. Honda Accord: 8.4 years
  3. Toyota Camry: 8.0 years
  4. Honda Civic: 7.9 years
  5. Jeep Grand Cherokee: 7.8 years
  6. Toyota Corolla: 7.7 years
  7. Honda CR-V: 7.6 years
  8. Dodge Ram/Ram 1500: 7.5 years
  9. Chevrolet Silverado 1500: 7.4 years
  10. Ford F-150: 7.4 years
  11. GMC Sierra 1500: 7.3 years
  12. Nissan Altima: 7.2 years