GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 06:20 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by llvll
I don't need new brakes, I replaced my rotors 1 week ago and my pads a month ago
Mine has the exact same sound. Have you figured out a solution?
Old 12-16-19, 06:31 AM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
Mine has the exact same sound. Have you figured out a solution?
Yeah, I ordered OEM pads and shims. Applied 2 coats of BG Stop Squeal and waited 10-15 minutes between each coat. Drove for 450 miles in cold and/or wet weather and not a single sound to be heard even backing out of my driveway when sitting for 2 days.
Old 12-16-19, 12:21 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Yeah, I ordered OEM pads and shims. Applied 2 coats of BG Stop Squeal and waited 10-15 minutes between each coat. Drove for 450 miles in cold and/or wet weather and not a single sound to be heard even backing out of my driveway when sitting for 2 days.
Thanks for the reply.

For what it's worth, I replaced the pads on mine and it was zero noise for about 3-4 weeks. Then it came back. I'm back to square one. I will try the BG Stop Squeal you mentioned to see if there's any improvement. My rotors have about 10K on them, I'm trying to not have to purchase a new set yet.
Old 12-16-19, 12:25 PM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply.

For what it's worth, I replaced the pads on mine and it was zero noise for about 3-4 weeks. Then it came back. I'm back to square one. I will try the BG Stop Squeal you mentioned to see if there's any improvement. My rotors have about 10K on them, I'm trying to not have to purchase a new set yet.
Within those 3-4 weeks how many miles did you drive for?
Old 12-16-19, 03:32 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Within those 3-4 weeks how many miles did you drive for?
Probably about 1700-2000 miles in 4 weeks. My wife drives about 75 miles round trip 5 days a week, and we normally take her car everywhere else in additional to daily work commute.
Old 12-16-19, 03:37 PM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

Probably about 1700-2000 miles in 4 weeks. My wife drives about 75 miles round trip 5 days a week, and we normally take her car everywhere else in additional to daily work commute.
Dang...I guess when I drive that amount I'll brace myself for the brake noise. I hope it doesn't come back. I would expect hitting 1000 miles there wouldn't be any brake noise at all.
Old 12-17-19, 08:05 PM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had the dealer look at it and they replaced the shims. However, Still have the squeal when its cold out and eventually goes away after driving for a bit. I'm not sure what else to do besides waiting til pads are ready to be changed and move to aftermarket?

Last edited by fugee; 12-17-19 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-18-19, 10:26 AM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fugee
I recently had the dealer look at it and they replaced the shims. However, Still have the squeal when its cold out and eventually goes away after driving for a bit. I'm not sure what else to do besides waiting til pads are ready to be changed and move to aftermarket?
I heard that F sport brakes make the most noise with aftermarket components, I'd stick with OEM.
Old 12-18-19, 11:41 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Don't have any squeal on my 18 F Sport, but boy am I ever dreading the possibility when it's time to change pads...

Found this on a google search... BG Stop Squeal on Aston Martins

I was horrified to find that this was applied directly to the pad material and not the backing plate! But it seems to have worked for these Aston Martin owners. I'd have to be pretty desperate to try this, I hope I never get to that point.
Does this really work? I am going to give it a shot absolutely hate this squealing.
Old 12-18-19, 02:49 PM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Does this really work? I am going to give it a shot absolutely hate this squealing.
I applied BG Stop Squeal to my brand new OEM brake pads 2 weeks ago, not a single sound to be heard.
Old 01-30-20, 05:39 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

I applied BG Stop Squeal to my brand new OEM brake pads 2 weeks ago, not a single sound to be heard.
I went back and looked at my service history. I actually had about 20-25K miles before the brakes started squealing. I told you 10K. That was an error.

Guess, I'm ready for new rotors then.
Old 01-30-20, 07:40 AM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

I went back and looked at my service history. I actually had about 20-25K miles before the brakes started squealing. I told you 10K. That was an error.

Guess, I'm ready for new rotors then.
Let me know if new rotors got rid of the squealing
Old 01-30-20, 07:55 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Let me know if new rotors got rid of the squealing
My plan now is to get oem 1-piece rotors, pads, shims, and make sure everything is cleaned and lubed. I've got a spreadsheet that i track my car stuff with, guess i'll let you know in a few months. Hopefully, this will solve it. Like I've said before, I really like the GS and does not want to let it go. I plan on keeping it for a daily once my wife is done with it, and buy her a GX. But not if the brakes stay this way.
Old 01-30-20, 08:11 AM
llvll
Driver School Candidate

My plan now is to get oem 1-piece rotors, pads, shims, and make sure everything is cleaned and lubed. I've got a spreadsheet that i track my car stuff with, guess i'll let you know in a few months. Hopefully, this will solve it. Like I've said before, I really like the GS and does not want to let it go. I plan on keeping it for a daily once my wife is done with it, and buy her a GX. But not if the brakes stay this way.
Do you currently have 2-piece rotors or 1-piece rotors?
Old 01-30-20, 08:13 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Do you currently have 2-piece rotors or 1-piece rotors?
Currently have 1-piece rotors, with Akebono Ceramic Pads. (drove on OEM pads for 20K miles then the squeal started, and swapped for Akebono. Still have squeal.

When I say I'm getting oem 1-piece, etc. I meant I'm going to start fresh with a set of new oem rotors and pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal