GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 07:47 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Performance brakes usually do squeal - it's just their nature. The main reason why a performance brake squeals is because performance brakes use larger rotors and larger brake pads, which in-turn is more likely to create vibrations in a frequency that can be heard. Be glad it's just a minor squeal that is a natural occurrence of street-type performance brakes, which in the case of the Lexus GS 350 F-Sport's brakes they are really only marginally better than their non F-Sport sibling...and only better on the track after constant, repeatable braking conditions. If you've ever been in (or around) a legitimate honest-to goodness track race car, the brakes always squeal and usually have a very harsh metal-on-metal scraping sound. Of course the owner of the track car doesn't care about his race car's brake noise - he only cares about how well his brakes perform on the track.

The problem with street driven cars that have so-called performance brakes is - it's a brake made borderline for both street and track. Lexus offers an option for the GS 350 called the 'F-Sport' that has borderline performance brakes and they frequently will squeal. You actually asked for it, but you didn't know what to expect! The other problem is that owners of the F-Sport option want the performance brakes, however they don't like, nor do they understand why their performance brakes squeal. They don't like the dust or the fast wearing pads and rotors either!

They also don't like, nor do they understand, why the F-Sport OEM 2-piece front 'performance' brake rotors (with separate rotor & hat/hub that bolts together) makes a clicking sound that is often heard at slow speeds or when turning at slow speed. The reason the 2-piece front brake rotors makes a clicking sound at times is because the rotor is designed to mount to the separate hat/hub where it is allowed to purposely float and move slightly so when the rotor heats-up under repeated track braking conditions it can expand on the separate hat/hub. Also, when cornering under maximum handling conditions a one-piece rotor can actually distort or even break away from its hat/hub, whereas a 2-piece rotor will float and is less likely to break under extreme cornering load and is better suited for such conditions.

Most GS 350 owners want the bigger performance brakes but they don't know about, nor do they want to accept, the peculiarities and negative features. It's really rather funny. It's kind of like wanting a performance handling car, but not liking the firm ride...or wanting a performance engine, but not liking the poor fuel mileage...or wanting a black car, but not liking the high maintenance...or wanting a convertible, but not liking the added wind and road noise...or wanting a pretty girlfriend, but not liking guys salivating over her all the time.

https://youtu.be/fUNHb9O52WQ

https://youtu.be/ZMOCEfH7-zw
Holy ***** what an epic rant. And so true.

Old 04-16-22, 09:45 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

There are millions of performance cars on the streets. Show me a Porsche that has brake squeal like the F Sports. Lexus issued a TSB for this very problem.
There is minor squeal, particuliarly when cold, and then there is the F Sport squeal. And remember, some cars do not experience it. My car seemed to develop it after a few years.
I could clean and lube the Textar pads, and the squeal would go away, only to return in a month or so. The TSB pad fixed the squeal except when cold.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (04-17-22)
Old 04-16-22, 09:56 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
There are millions of performance cars on the streets. Show me a Porsche that has brake squeal like the F Sports. Lexus issued a TSB for this very problem.
There is minor squeal, particuliarly when cold, and then there is the F Sport squeal. And remember, some cars do not experience it. My car seemed to develop it after a few years.
I could clean and lube the Textar pads, and the squeal would go away, only to return in a month or so. The TSB pad fixed the squeal except when cold.
i guess I don’t have the big squeal just the small one. I think it’s because of my consummate driving skills.

seriously though, I am cheap and I will not pay $600 plus for the oem rotors. I’ll probably chance it with EBC rotors and Akebonos and live to regret it.
Old 04-17-22, 09:11 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,113 Posts

/\ Thank you for this. The different model Lexus F cars do not have these every other day post either. Its disingenuous to say Stock semi performance Brakes squeaking should be acceptable as a feature. My Lux and 2 other F Sports have Zero squeal nor any noise we did brake jobs on at no time. The F Sport Brakes were a very poor design leading to noise and other along with many poorly done inadequate Brake jobs being done no less.

I have never seen a Backing only cover up to half way of the back of the Pads? There may be, but I just have never seen one myself. Please don't anyone accept that because you have F Sport Brakes they should click. It's absurd reasoning at best. I hope ppl are cleaning and lubing the Tabs that sit in the Caliper, and cleaning and lubing both the backing to pad, and backing to Piston very generously also. Clips alo if used the same.

The F Sport brake set up is nothing new or special in technology or design. Floating setups been around for years and years before the F Sport.

Pic of my friends Murdered out 15 F Sport (yes a 15, w/ the GSF front Bumper). Brakes done 1 year 3 months ago. To Date - ZERO Squeal never ever. He's had like 3 different set of wheels on it also. He drives it like he stole it everyday. lol!

Old 04-17-22, 09:55 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by gs350noob
i guess I don’t have the big squeal just the small one. I think it’s because of my consummate driving skills.

seriously though, I am cheap and I will not pay $600 plus for the oem rotors. I’ll probably chance it with EBC rotors and Akebonos and live to regret it.
Neither will I. I believe any decent rotor will be fine. I paid $90 for the TSB pads from Lexus of Stevens Creek.
Old 04-17-22, 10:14 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

The paint on that car looks murdered for sure.
Old 04-17-22, 10:14 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I've used these sometime too just as a option for some. They are very high quality and a great low price. Warranty too (3 Years). Just swap if needed at Autozone.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...2dg/300548_0_0

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Duralast Gold® brake rotors utilize a high carbon formulation to minimize noise and enhance performance. The carbon used in rotors dampens noise and dissipates heat. With Duralast Gold® brake rotors, you get quieter brakes without sacrificing performance. Specifically formulated for the toughest braking applications, Duralast Gold® brake rotors are the best choice for ensuring noise free braking. For best results, always use Duralast Gold® brake pads.
gs350noob (04-17-22)
Old 04-17-22, 10:16 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charley95
The paint on that car looks murdered for sure.
You may be talking about dirt and reelections. That car paint is like Glass when clean in person.
Old 04-17-22, 10:19 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 550 Likes on 400 Posts

Kinda hard to tell by the pic, it looks like spider webbing from the dirt I guess.
Old 04-17-22, 10:53 AM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Neither will I. I believe any decent rotor will be fine. I paid $90 for the TSB pads from Lexus of Stevens Creek.
What rotor do you have on yours?
Old 04-17-22, 11:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by gs350noob
What rotor do you have on yours?
About 3 years ago I took my 2013 F Sport in to a really good shop to check for a suspension clunk. I had had surgery and could not work on the car, even something as simple as brakes.
I asked them to look at the brakes due to squeal and to beef up their work. I felt kinda bad just asking them to check the clunk.
They used Textar pads; Textar makes the OE pad. I am not sure about the rotor brand, but I think they charged about $150 - $175 each.
The squeal was gone and the bite was great. But the squeal came back withing a month or so. I cleaned and relubed the pads which only repeated the scenario.
Then I went to Lexus and got the TSB pad, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled the components. Now the only squeal I get is upon startup and is gone within 1 block.

If I were to do it over again, I would use Raybestos, Brembo, Advics or any quality rotor. I think Advics makes a good OE equivalent.
I believe Lexus of Stevens Creek sells the rotor for $85 each.
Good luck.
gs350noob (04-17-22)
Old 04-17-22, 12:39 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charley95
Kinda hard to tell by the pic, it looks like spider webbing from the dirt I guess.
You own a Black car too? You ever took a pic of it? lol!

This looks' spider webbed? Lets see your?

Last edited by jgscott; 04-17-22 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 01:10 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Show me a Porsche that has brake squeal like the F Sports.
Old 04-17-22, 01:45 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Sorry had a few Porsche, never any brake squeal. Just drove my friends Sons Porsche Yesterday. NO brake squeal. LMAO!

Look for a problem you can find one.

JeffKeryk (04-18-22)
Old 04-17-22, 06:26 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by sickpuppy
That is nothing as compared to the dreaded F Sport squeal. Not even close.
Have you ever heard a Porsche brake squeal?

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal