GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 04:21 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
You own a Black car too? You ever took a pic of it? lol!

This looks' spider webbed? Lets see your?

The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (04-18-22)
Old 04-19-22, 10:47 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Is everyone with new Brake Pad installs Bedding in the New Pads and New Rotors correctly?

https://centricparts.com/getmedia/fd...e-8-2018_1.pdf
Old 04-19-22, 11:11 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Is everyone with new Brake Pad installs Bedding in the New Pads and New Rotors correctly?

https://centricparts.com/getmedia/fd...e-8-2018_1.pdf
This is not needed for a typical street pad nor can it be expected from the average person. I've done this a few times and it takes a decent amount of planning and can get you pulled over or at least a lot of questioning looks from others.

Funny you mention StopTech as my last setup on an 8 piston floating caliper with 15.4" rotors squealed endlessly on certain pad and rotor combinations and the only pads that didn't squeal were StopTech Street Performance pads (Centric/StopTech 309 series). They were super dusty but were always silent. They may even have them for the Lexus but I'll stick with OEM for now. I never bedded those as frankly it was too hard to heat up such a huge setup with the space I had and it was silent either way, although always lubed correctly.

On my current setup, with non-F Sport OEM pads and rotors, I am experiencing a slight two second squeal when cold that was temporarily fixed by bedding but it has returned. I will pull the pads and apply a generous coating of high temp CRC "Silaramic" brake lube on all applicable surfaces to see if that helps.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-19-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-22, 01:01 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Just IMO everybody has a different thought....... then goes to how they have a squeal. I do this on a access road or industrial park. I also have always Zero squeal (F Sport install also).

Don't believe there is not a proper way to install New brake pads, Brakes and/or new Rotors, and a proper bed/break in procedure. No need to do and that, gets what it gets. Doing or not doing the same thing over again gets what it gets. Doing something different can result in a difference. This is exactly the problem and why.

If I had a squeal or noise at all. If I then used the new revised Lexus Pads and backing and still had a noise (incl when cold), I would do something different that would result in Zero noise. Yes its possible. I would not want to drive my Lexus even at start cold or back up with brake noise. Unacceptable to me.
Old 04-20-22, 01:54 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

If I had a squeal or noise at all. If I then used the new revised Lexus Pads and backing and still had a noise (incl when cold), I would do something different that would result in Zero noise. Yes its possible. I would not want to drive my Lexus even at start cold or back up with brake noise. Unacceptable to me.
Agreed. I pulled the pads to lube them, only had time for one side this morning. First, the pads are rediculously easy to remove and replace. Second, the pads had two shims but zero lube or evidence of any past lube.

The brakes were last done at a dealer for the CPO prep. Not sure if this is procedure but I am hoping that a lube of each shim and pad face and the hardware will help with the startup squeal.

It was silent for about a year and a half and even once it started, some days were silent and some worse than others. Its usually quiet in the morning but makes the noise when I am leaving work. That makes it hard to pinpoint the issue. I wish we had more of a scientific breakdown of what causes it under certain conditions, like the AC evaporator smell issue.

UPDATE: I haven't heard a single squeal since I lubed them.

Last edited by BMGS; 04-21-22 at 01:44 PM.