GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Night mode for navi maps

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 11:14 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 309 Likes on 242 Posts
Default Night mode for navi maps

I recently purchased a 2016 Lexus GS and it's been great after a few minor issues. However, I noticed that the navigation maps are super bright at night. Is there a night mode for that? If so, can this be setup to auto detect?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-19, 12:29 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a 2013 and it automatically switches to night mode, must be a setting you have to change.
Old 11-30-19, 07:22 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

The Day Mode setting seems to be intended to provide the bright daytime illumination when the exterior lights are on,
perhaps while driving in a funeral procession or just daytime rain.
The oddity is that the "Day Mode" setting is only shown on the screen...at night! Cover the headlight sensor on the
dash (the quarter sized black dome) with your cellphone or other opaque object and turn off the "Day Mode".
Old 11-30-19, 10:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I recently purchased a 2016 Lexus GS and it's been great after a few minor issues. However, I noticed that the navigation maps are super bright at night. Is there a night mode for that? If so, can this be setup to auto detect?

Thanks.
websurfer - I suspect someone has selected Day Mode as default, which prevents the NAV screen from auto-dimming when the sensor detects a low light level. (For some reason Lexus did not cover its operation nor how to change its operation in the Owners Manuals.)

Try this:
Using your DISP button (on the steering wheel) see if you have the option of switching it to go back to Night Mode. I think turning Off Day Mode (or selecting Night Mode) will automatically make the default go back to default Night Mode, which will auto-dim your NAV screen when the sensor detects low light level.

FYI - If I'm not mistaken, to achieve full time Day Mode (which is what you say you have now) actually requires that the car be fully in the dark with all sensors (headlights, mirrors & NAV screen) sensing darkness. Then, and only then, will you have the Night Mode option be triggered and made available on your DISP to change it to Day Mode (which is what you have now and want to get rid of). This Day Mode option (using DISP button that you have now) will likely not be available during the day because all sensors must be in the dark to trigger the option's availability.

I hope this helps!

Please let us know if this allowed you to change it...

Last edited by bclexus; 11-30-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 11:46 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
websurfer - I suspect someone has selected Day Mode as default, which prevents the NAV screen from auto-dimming when the sensor detects a low light level. (For some reason Lexus did not cover its operation nor how to change its operation in the Owners Manuals.)

Try this:
Using your DISP button (on the steering wheel) see if you have the option of switching it to go back to Night Mode. I think turning Off Day Mode (or selecting Night Mode) will automatically make the default go back to default Night Mode, which will auto-dim your NAV screen when the sensor detects low light level.

FYI - If I'm not mistaken, to achieve full time Day Mode (which is what you say you have now) actually requires that the car be fully in the dark with all sensors (headlights, mirrors & NAV screen) sensing darkness. Then, and only then, will you have the Night Mode option be triggered and made available on your DISP to change it to Day Mode (which is what you have now and want to get rid of). This Day Mode option (using DISP button that you have now) will likely not be available during the day because all sensors must be in the dark to trigger the option's availability.

I hope this helps!

Please let us know if this allowed you to change it...
Thanks, I'll try it out.

I've been trying to figure it out for a few weeks and yes, the manuals were no help. Googling didn't help on this also.
Old 11-30-19, 11:46 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
I have a 2013 and it automatically switches to night mode, must be a setting you have to change.
Works fine without any changes on my wife's ES350 thought like yours though.
Old 11-30-19, 01:24 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by websurfer
Works fine without any changes on my wife's ES350 thought like yours though.
Is your instrument lighting setting set all the way to high? I guess it wont change over if it is. Gotta be a solution to this.

Last edited by CAKETOWN; 11-30-19 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 01:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is your instrument lighting setting set all the way to high? I guess it wont change over if it is. Gotta be a solution to this.
Many vehicles, including Toyota, require that the instrument cluster lighting be at least one notch below full brightness for the Night Mode work when the headlights are turned On. The GS 350 Lexus does not work that way.

The OP should be able to change it from Day Mode using the DISP button with the instructions I provided.
Old 11-30-19, 01:40 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Many vehicles, including Toyota, require that the instrument cluster lighting be at least one notch below full brightness for the Night Mode work when the headlights are turned On. The GS 350 Lexus does not work that way.

The OP should be able to change it from Day Mode using the DISP button with the instructions I provided.
Ok np, but that image is right from the gs350 manual.
Old 11-30-19, 04:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Ok np, but that image is right from the gs350 manual.
You added the image after I replied so I was unable to see it. I'm pretty sure that my GS 350's NAV auto-dimming is not altered/changed by the instrument panel light control like I realize some vehicles are. Maybe Lexus changed the GS 350 after my model year. I know that I have my instrument lights at full brightness, yet my NAV screen dims in low light and darkness.
Old 11-30-19, 04:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have my instruments on full bright but my nav day mode still works.
Old 11-30-19, 04:36 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

You added the image after I replied so I was unable to see it. I'm pretty sure that my GS 350's NAV auto-dimming is not altered/changed by the instrument panel light control like I realize some vehicles are. Maybe Lexus changed the GS 350 after my model year. I know that I have my instrument lights at full brightness, yet my NAV screen dims in low light and darkness.
Yea thought they would be related maybe not, all good. Main thing is it works for us, but not for websurfer, id be annoyed too looking at a bright *** nav screen in the dark lol.

Hopefully we can get it fixed for websurfer.

Last edited by CAKETOWN; 11-30-19 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 04:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have my instruments on full bright but my nav day mode still works.
I presume your NAV screen auto-dims when the sensor detects low light level of darkness? That is the way mine operates with instrument panel lights always on full brightness...
Old 11-30-19, 04:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Is your instrument lighting setting set all the way to high?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CAKETOWN - The Owners Manual image you posted is only for the automatic adjustment of the instrument panel lighting. It has no bearing on whether the NAV screen auto-dims.

Here is an image of the Owners Manual page that shows more information:

Last edited by bclexus; 11-30-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 08:10 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Yea i thought they might be connected to nav, cant imagine not having dark maps at night.

Quick Reply: Night mode for navi maps