GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

MY 2021 and 2027 Redesigned GS Expected

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 11:25 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Hate to even say it, but the sporty version of the Camry looks better than the GS now. :vomit:
Ew. To each their own.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-05-19 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-05-19, 11:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavaria
I'm within 50 miles of hitting 100k on my '07 GS350, and have ordered oil, air, and cabin filters. When (if) the GS loses its cowcatcher grill and gets Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I'll look at it. For now. it's either go for the next 100k on the "07, or consider a Genesis G80.
G80 is a good car. I like those, though I could never get over the fact that an equivalent G80 weighs some 600-700 lbs more than my GS. But if you're looking at a G80 as a way to avoid a big grill, pick one of the outgoing models up quickly because the 2020 G80 is going to have a huge grill too (if the renders and current Genesis trend are any indication).

The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Bavaria (12-06-19), signdetres (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 04:08 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I would take my GS looks over that G80 anytime, any day. Nothing against Hyundai and Genesis fans here. Same goes with any Camry and ES even. I put my GS and ES side by side last night and there is no way I'm picking the ES over a GS.
The following 3 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
dTxworld (12-09-19), JDR76 (12-05-19), jmelvin269 (12-10-19)
Old 12-05-19, 09:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Another GS model makes no sense for Toyota/Lexus. It's baked in and done.

Sluggish market reaction and tesla acceptance doomed GS sales to languishing status. What was supposed to be a 7 year generation has been extended a few more with no changes, perhaps to burn off any remaining excess supply? If you think about the entire GS production run over 9 years, it adds up to between 125k-150k cars total sales, and translates into a measly 320 cars made per week.

No manufacturer is going to commit factory space and production line time for such low volume. Tesla is ramping up production consistently past 5k per week. To put this in perspective, Tesla could do in 2-3 weeks production to meet the yearly sales of a GS. That's a major no can do when you meet the yearly demand with only 4% of your yearly manufacturing capacity.

It's baked in and DONE. Stick a fork in it.
That is simply your opinion it does not make sense. It makes a lot of sense to not kill the GS because the mid sized executive sedan market is a very important segment in the luxury market. If Lexus just gave up on it, it would be shocking and a seen as a sign of weakness/giving up. The new LS is basically a failure for Lexus, it is not like it is a car buyers are just going to go for if Lexus kills the GS. The LC, RC, LS, and IS now are not selling in big numbers either, should they just kill all of them. Lexus has the money to keep these cars in its lineup and updating them/doing new generations.

The 4th Gen GS sold pretty well the first 3 years, the 2016 and on was clearly not a update the market liked, they made the car ugly, gave it no real power/performance upgrade(it actually got slower), raised the price, took away good lease deals/incentives and the market spoke.

If you want a Tesla or electric, just buy a Tesla instead of asking over and over for Lexus to build you a Tesla and rattling off Tesla sales numbers. Those buyers are not going to buy a electric GS or any electric Lexus, Lexus does not have a "green" image like Tesla and the image is the main reason they are buying them. Replacing the GS with a electric sedan would be a massive failure and waste of money, nobody bought the hybrid GS, it was a total waste, same with offering a 4 cyl. What happened with the CT which was basically a luxury Prius, it was a big failure, same with the HS because Lexus does not have a green image, the Prius name does.

I don't even think they need a new generation right away to boost sales, just tone down the ugly styling on the current one to go back more to the 2013-2015 look, update the interior a little, give it a nice wheel option, and most importantly give it a affordable 400hp power option, either the 3.5l tt from the LS or a 8 cylinder, it really should have a decent power option without having to step up to a GS-F.
Old 12-05-19, 09:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
It looks like BMW and Mercedes. Many of their buyers wouldn't look twice at a GS because they don't interest young people. I'm 30 but I'm yet to see a single GS being driven by someone under 50, even when I venture into the posh suburbs. Here Lexus are massively overpriced which may not help.
Premium Germans are popular all over with all ages.
I am nowhere near 50 and have had 2 generations of GS, I got my first one when I was in my 20's. There are a lot of people here under 50 who have GS's. What is wrong with buyers over 50 liking and buying a car, they are the ones with the money to buy those luxury cars brand new. I don't see many people under 50 in new 5 series or E class either, they are pretty expensive for younger buyers.
Old 12-06-19, 12:17 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Another GS model makes no sense for Toyota/Lexus. It's baked in and done.

Sluggish market reaction and tesla acceptance doomed GS sales to languishing status. What was supposed to be a 7 year generation has been extended a few more with no changes, perhaps to burn off any remaining excess supply? If you think about the entire GS production run over 9 years, it adds up to between 125k-150k cars total sales, and translates into a measly 320 cars made per week.

No manufacturer is going to commit factory space and production line time for such low volume. Tesla is ramping up production consistently past 5k per week. To put this in perspective, Tesla could do in 2-3 weeks production to meet the yearly sales of a GS. That's a major no can do when you meet the yearly demand with only 4% of your yearly manufacturing capacity.

It's baked in and DONE. Stick a fork in it.
It's hilarious that you think that a typical Lexus buyer would ever cross shop a Tesla.... I'm sure it happens, but that's not likely a huge issue. Buyers in this segment typically think those cars are a joke based off interior alone. Horrendous QC issues, too. A more legitimate issue is that you have Hyundai coming in on the side with the Genesis and you have Audi/MB/BMW sitting in the front of the market....and now all of these guys are fighting over the scraps in the sedan/coupe markets. The number of people getting "ghey for "akeUVs/CUVs" that moron fad is pretty much eating into car sales from EVERY manufacturer.... Tesla is meaningless compared to that problem.... (not to mention, half their cars are sold in CA, because rape gas prices) There are probably more Ford Escraps made than all tesla models combined in the same year.... and that is just like ONE of over a dozen of those kind of ****box vehicles. Sedans/Coupes are having a tough time period versus all of that garbage, at least in the US. Even body-on-frame vehicles like pickup trucks and real SUVs are likely outselling cars at this point.

That said, there clearly is still a market for luxury performance cars, Lexus just needs to, IMO, consolidate its offerings, and produce something new, and something that's competitive. Something that is AWD and has a sub 5 sec 0-60 would be a good place to start. The smart thing for them to do would be to dump the current GS/IS models and move that into one, more powerful, newer 4 door vehicle.

-Mike
Old 12-06-19, 12:28 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Meh, I don't really care for extra hp. Sure is nice, and the GS450h has an added boost. A first generation twin turbo is not really a smart move. BMW had a learning curve.

If I can go all day and get 35-45+mpg or an astounding improvement in energy use reducing user costs for city use with a fantastic sporty feel 80% of what a Tesla can do -- maybe it can move the needle. Much of our car driving does not require a 440 firebreathing turbo monster.
Not sure if serious, but every other GS owner I know is basically like "This car would be perfect if it did 400+ hp stock". If you don't want the juice then you're looking at the wrong car. The whole point of a GS is that it can still be driven hard if you want to, and if you're not doing that at all, you're in the wrong market segment.

And as far as the eco **** MPG stuff, GS buyers don't give a crap about that, either. Although a side effect of getting a good turbo(s) in the mix would be increased efficiency during highway
use, for sure.

-Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by drgrant:
signdetres (12-06-19), UDel (12-06-19)
Old 12-06-19, 03:05 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
I think this will be the next GS:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue.../#6054f84b63c7

It already looks like a GS interior to be honest..... everything is very similar in location to a 4GS... AND it's sporty and RWD!
I doubt it as that Mirai has the same body lines as the LS 500 almost the same footprint as the LS.
Old 12-06-19, 07:46 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Whatever they do with the new GS, please no sticking out tablet on the dash. This trend really needs to be put to rest.
The following 4 users liked this post by ItzFilyO:
Afrosheen (12-11-19), BlueIS05 (12-06-19), drgrant (12-06-19), Im2bz2p345 (12-07-19)
Old 12-06-19, 08:57 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCurtis
More power. My secret sources tell me the 3.5 v-6 twin turbo putting out 440 horsepower with a plug in electric motor putting out 55 more horsepower.
From what I can speak to from various meetings, I CAN neither CONFIRM or deny THIS STATEMENT
All I will say on the record is that the new Tundra is going to be a huge upgrade
Old 12-06-19, 09:40 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

...and an infotainment system that at least matches the 1/3 the price Kia Soul!
Old 12-07-19, 05:53 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

I see what you did there @mrplesh
Old 12-07-19, 07:40 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Anyone who does not think Tesla has taken major market share from luxury cars, especially luxury performance sedans is mistaken.
And when the Model Y is released the SUV market will be affected.
That's the numbers.
Old 12-07-19, 12:07 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,113 Likes on 721 Posts

There is no way the GS stays around. Last year through November Lexus sold 6,017 GS's and same 11 months this year they have sold 3,113. That is is decrease of 48%. There are not going to keep a production line open for 3,500 vehicles a year. The ES now with F sport and soon awd is the nail in the coffin.
Old 12-07-19, 04:57 PM
GsLex02
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I am nowhere near 50 and have had 2 generations of GS, I got my first one when I was in my 20's. There are a lot of people here under 50 who have GS's. What is wrong with buyers over 50 liking and buying a car, they are the ones with the money to buy those luxury cars brand new. I don't see many people under 50 in new 5 series or E class either, they are pretty expensive for younger buyers.
Im 31 and have owned 2 GS’s. A 2002 GS300 and currently a 2014 GS350. Plenty of us GS owners are well under 50

Quick Reply: MY 2021 and 2027 Redesigned GS Expected