GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not the tires I planned on....but

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 10:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog5149
Ok, I'll bite......how will they be "very dangerous"? I understand tire compounds, summer vs. winter tires and all that, but to make a statement that they are dangerous if temperatures drop? Not sure I am buying it. Sounds like fear mongering to me...
G
Exactly! On ice any tire is moot. If you drive like a fck up on snow or ice you will pay the price. That being said, driving on summer tires in the winter requires extra caution as the tire is not being deployed in its intended use case, but to state it is extremely dangerous almost infers that one is trying to hang the rear end out on the horseshoe at the Daytona infield.....pfffft
Originally Posted by bumada
Extremely dangerous, that's excessive. Inconvenient and worthless in trace amounts of snow, yes.

I've dealt with VA winters with summer tires, and it's not a good time. I've gotten stuck on flat ground with less than an inch when it was parked on the side of the street. I've lost it with the slightest lift of the throttle going down hill. Early morning, half asleep, and cold while mid corner really sneak up on you. Obviously you can do what you want, but I'm glad I decided to have 2 sets of wheels these days.
I'll say it - driving on summer tires [even] on dry pavement and [even] going straight down the road at 45° or colder is absolutely EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic (like a hockey puck). The tire industry uses the term 'Glass Transition' to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. 'Glass Transition Temperature' (Tg) is the temperature at which a polymer turns from a pliable and elastic ductile material to a hard, brittle material. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures.

I'll put it this way - imagine replacing all four of your tires with rock-hard inflexible plastic tires with no tread - no tread because a summer tire's tread is essentially worthless when cold. That's what driving on summer tires in low temperatures resembles. You are just foolishly asking for trouble!!!

You probably know how easy it is to purposely break-loose the hard plastic wheels on the rear of a child's 3-wheel drift trike? That would be you, except in a 4,000 lb car! You might as well have ball-bearings for tires!

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-19 at 03:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Cal916 (12-04-19), NickMayer (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 10:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Also, I failed to mention that you should; "avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 40º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires".

Last edited by bclexus; 12-03-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-03-19, 11:08 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Pilot Super Sports are good tires, when up to temperature.... which you are never going to get to in the winter.

But I guess it's still better than Pilot Cup 2's - those really become a handful with the slightest moisture on the road.

Summer tires for the summer. Winter tires for the winter. Is it so difficult?
Old 12-03-19, 11:15 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

@gdog5149 please post pictures of the tires after you get them, i think i found the ebay store you got them from , they have really high ratings , so I am curious as to why these tires are sooo cheap.
Old 12-03-19, 11:34 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Good tires, I have them on my GTR but they are a summer tire vs. the Pilot A/S. Being from VA I wouldn’t put them on until spring unless you don’t drive the GS in the winter. They will be very dangerous when temps drop or there is even a little snow.
How is the traction on those tires? I currently have some Potenza S-04 Pole Position and I am always breaking loose on the rear end even in dry environment.
Old 12-03-19, 11:55 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

bob256k & imjohnphan. I'm assuming the price is "sooo cheap" because the PSS (Pilot Super Sport) is Michelin's Max Performance Tire that originally came out in late 2010. It has been replaced by the superior PS4S (Pilot Sport 4S) that was introduced in late 2016. As far as the Bridgestone S-04, I had them on my ISF and they were, IMHO, an exceptional tire. I would have put these on my LC, but they don't come in a 21" size, so I have the PS4S, and so far those have been doing very well.

The S-04 has now been replaced by the Potenza S007.
Old 12-03-19, 12:02 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
@gdog5149 please post pictures of the tires after you get them, i think i found the ebay store you got them from , they have really high ratings , so I am curious as to why these tires are sooo cheap.
Originally Posted by praetor
Be careful buying tires off eBay. Always ask for the date code of the tires. Some sellers sell old nearly dried out tires.
Ask them for the manufacturer date code on the tires. This will determine if they are a good deal or not.
The following users liked this post:
Tspinning (12-04-19)
Old 12-03-19, 01:14 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
How is the traction on those tires? I currently have some Potenza S-04 Pole Position and I am always breaking loose on the rear end even in dry environment.
Hard for me to answer given the AWD of the GTR so there really isn't a breaking loose on the rear for me. It is definitely softer than the run-flats that they replaced but they are also wider in the rear than the factory sizes (285 vs. 335) so that could help traction as well.
Old 12-03-19, 07:02 PM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I actually am going a different direction as I am just not doing 2 sets of wheels and tires. I decided to go with a General G-Max all season tire that I had on the 335i and performed flawlessly year round in VA.
G
Old 12-04-19, 07:21 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 267 Likes on 204 Posts

I actually am going a different direction as I am just not doing 2 sets of wheels and tires. I decided to go with a General G-Max all season tire that I had on the 335i and performed flawlessly year round in VA.
G
THANKS for the review of the GMAX!! I was looking at those before I purchased my as3+ tires but couldn't find any reviews since they were brand new. Can you give me more details about what you looked about them? Are they on a fsport or awd model?
Old 12-04-19, 07:35 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Old 12-04-19, 08:29 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

THANKS for the review of the GMAX!! I was looking at those before I purchased my as3+ tires but couldn't find any reviews since they were brand new. Can you give me more details about what you looked about them? Are they on a fsport or awd model?
They were on a 335i about 6 years ago. They were absolutely amazing from a grip and longevity perspective. I have zero hesitation putting these on the GS.
G
Old 12-04-19, 08:48 AM
donkiboy
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I haven't heard of damage incurring in this manner. I've got old Acura TL with summer performance tires and its my daily even through freezing winter here in NJ (albeit poor traction and harsh ride).
I'd have to guess that many AWD performance cars like WRX, STI, EVO simply run their stock summer tires through winters.

Originally Posted by bclexus
Also, I failed to mention that you should; "avoid driving, moving, or test-driving vehicles equipped with high-performance summer-only tires below 40º F as operating at these temperatures can cause damage to the tires".
Old 12-04-19, 09:08 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by donkiboy
I haven't heard of damage incurring in this manner. I've got old Acura TL with summer performance tires and its my daily even through freezing winter here in NJ (albeit poor traction and harsh ride).
I'd have to guess that many AWD performance cars like WRX, STI, EVO simply run their stock summer tires through winters.
The damage is what is called a cold tear. If you try to push the tire before it is warmed up to operating temp, the tires can tear. This is why you see tire warmers and warm up laps before races. It is to help warm up the tire.

I have AWD and run all seasons year round.
Old 12-04-19, 09:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

You have the right tire Tire Rack's members tire rankings:

Lou

Quick Reply: Not the tires I planned on....but