GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not the tires I planned on....but

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 06:46 PM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Not the tires I planned on....but

So, Kind of a public service announcement here....I was planning on putting the Michelin Pilot A/S tires on the car. They are $930 out the door...best deal I could find. Then I happen upon an Ebay deal that has the the Pilot Super Sport on sale for $149.00 a tire with free shipping. Wow, these tires on the car for around $700 bucks....245/40/19's for that price? I pulled the trigger. Is the tire too soft for our GS5350 F-Sports? I may not get the lifespan I wanted, but I hope the performance and handling is what I hoped for.
Thanks
G
Old 12-02-19, 08:34 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog5149
So, Kind of a public service announcement here....I was planning on putting the Michelin Pilot A/S tires on the car. They are $930 out the door...best deal I could find. Then I happen upon an Ebay deal that has the the Pilot Super Sport on sale for $149.00 a tire with free shipping. Wow, these tires on the car for around $700 bucks....245/40/19's for that price? I pulled the trigger. Is the tire too soft for our GS5350 F-Sports? I may not get the lifespan I wanted, but I hope the performance and handling is what I hoped for.
Thanks
G
Good tires, I have them on my GTR but they are a summer tire vs. the Pilot A/S. Being from VA I wouldn’t put them on until spring unless you don’t drive the GS in the winter. They will be very dangerous when temps drop or there is even a little snow.
Old 12-02-19, 09:39 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

patgilm is correct. Don't mount those PSS tires if you plan on driving in the winter. Very dangerous. BTW, who's mounting and balancing them

Lou
Old 12-02-19, 09:46 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Good tires, I have them on my GTR but they are a summer tire vs. the Pilot A/S. Being from VA I wouldn’t put them on until spring unless you don’t drive the GS in the winter. They will be very dangerous when temps drop or there is even a little snow.
pics of godzilla please?
The following users liked this post:
Cobra611 (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 03:43 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Ok, I'll bite......how will they be "very dangerous"? I understand tire compounds, summer vs. winter tires and all that, but to make a statement that they are dangerous if temperatures drop? Not sure I am buying it. Sounds like fear mongering to me...
G
Old 12-03-19, 03:45 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
patgilm is correct. Don't mount those PSS tires if you plan on driving in the winter. Very dangerous. BTW, who's mounting and balancing them

Lou
What difference does it make who is mounting the tires?
Old 12-03-19, 04:12 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Ok, I'll bite......how will they be "very dangerous"? I understand tire compounds, summer vs. winter tires and all that, but to make a statement that they are dangerous if temperatures drop? Not sure I am buying it. Sounds like fear mongering to me...
G
Summer tires are rated to 40 degrees and our winters get well below that, sometimes below 20 degrees. The tires get hard and lose traction pretty easily at those temps. It doesn’t mean he can’t drive with summer tires in those temps but if he drives normal and not cautiously during those temps below freezing around turns it could be dangerous. Forget driving even if there is an inch of snow, the car won’t move. I know this not just from reading but experience because when I was younger I didn’t think it mattered much and put summer tires on my daily driver and it didn’t move even in a light snow.
The following 3 users liked this post by patgilm:
ChiefP (12-24-19), mrplesh (12-08-19), NickMayer (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 04:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j.Veezy68
pics of godzilla please?

The following 5 users liked this post by patgilm:
AJLex19 (12-03-19), ChiefP (12-24-19), Cobra611 (12-03-19), GregCanada (12-03-19), mikesd1980 (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 05:40 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Summer tires are rated to 40 degrees and our winters get well below that, sometimes below 20 degrees. The tires get hard and lose traction pretty easily at those temps. It doesn’t mean he can’t drive with summer tires in those temps but if he drives normal and not cautiously during those temps below freezing around turns it could be dangerous. Forget driving even if there is an inch of snow, the car won’t move. I know this not just from reading but experience because when I was younger I didn’t think it mattered much and put summer tires on my daily driver and it didn’t move even in a light snow.
Exactly! On ice any tire is moot. If you drive like a fck up on snow or ice you will pay the price. That being said, driving on summer tires in the winter requires extra caution as the tire is not being deployed in its intended use case, but to state it is extremely dangerous almost infers that one is trying to hang the rear end out on the horseshoe at the Daytona infield.....pfffft
Old 12-03-19, 05:48 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Exactly! On ice any tire is moot. If you drive like a fck up on snow or ice you will pay the price. That being said, driving on summer tires in the winter requires extra caution as the tire is not being deployed in its intended use case, but to state it is extremely dangerous almost infers that one is trying to hang the rear end out on the horseshoe at the Daytona infield.....pfffft
LOL fair enough!

I guess I’m just being overly cautious when the OP thought about getting all season tires but bought summer tires instead and it wasn’t clear they knew the difference. It’s not just driving on ice though, any snow with summer tires is dangerous, do you at least agree there? Even very cold days with rain can be as well with summer tires. My Conti DWS on the other hand drive very well in those conditions. On ice, I agree, no tire will do well.
NickMayer (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 05:54 AM
bumada
Driver

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Extremely dangerous, that's excessive. Inconvenient and worthless in trace amounts of snow, yes.

I've dealt with VA winters with summer tires, and it's not a good time. I've gotten stuck on flat ground with less than an inch when it was parked on the side of the street. I've lost it with the slightest lift of the throttle going down hill. Early morning, half asleep, and cold while mid corner really sneak up on you. Obviously you can do what you want, but I'm glad I decided to have 2 sets of wheels these days.
Old 12-03-19, 06:05 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

All valid points with the key being know the limitations of the tire, car, and driver's capabilities. After sporting several turbo Porsche 930's before the days of AWD and sliding my *** around numerous race tracks, I understand the tires and their limitations. This is part of the reason I picked an AWD GS. Additionally, the GS is not, and should not be driven as a "sports" car in any fashion. That being said, I think I will be fine during the limited winter driving I will be doing in the car whatever tire happens to be on the car. I was fine in 82 driving around Wichita with snow and ice up to my butt on FL tires.
G
Old 12-03-19, 07:45 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

All valid points with the key being know the limitations of the tire, car, and driver's capabilities. After sporting several turbo Porsche 930's before the days of AWD and sliding my *** around numerous race tracks, I understand the tires and their limitations. This is part of the reason I picked an AWD GS. Additionally, the GS is not, and should not be driven as a "sports" car in any fashion. That being said, I think I will be fine during the limited winter driving I will be doing in the car whatever tire happens to be on the car. I was fine in 82 driving around Wichita with snow and ice up to my butt on FL tires.
G
My coworker has a BMW 335xi and PSS's. He is terrified of driving if there is any semblance of snow on the ground (we had an early snowfall this year before he put his snow tires on). Your braking distances will be double, if not more. If there is snow, don't even think of going for a drive unless you want a good chance of getting in a wreck. Summer tires in the winter are like bambi on ice.

BTW to anyone that says all tires are bad on ice, get some dedicated snow/ice tires, you would be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-03-19, 08:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

To the OP, what nobody has mentioned is the real danger of damage to the tire. They may chip and/or crack in the cold.

As far as mounting, doesn't make a hoot to me Was just asking because it appears you are buying your tires unmounted and mounting and balancing is an added expense.

Lou
The following 2 users liked this post by flowrider:
NickMayer (12-03-19), tex2670 (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 08:41 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

Be careful buying tires off eBay. Always ask for the date code of the tires. Some sellers sell old nearly dried out tires.
Tspinning (12-04-19)

Quick Reply: Not the tires I planned on....but