GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to blackout chrome trimming?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 10:52 AM
JH350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to blackout chrome trimming?

Hey Guys -

I'm looking to black out all my chrome trimming on my '16 GS350 F Sport. Any recommendations on best products to use and recommendations with links to videos on "how to" do the process?

Thanks
Old 12-11-19, 11:14 AM
AndyP25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lot of people 3M vinyl wrap the chrome trims and plasti dip the badges. You can find lots of videos on youtube for DIY projects. You can also find a local wrap/tint place if you rather pay. Where in cali are you?
Old 12-13-19, 03:33 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

If you do decide to DIY be sure to use 3M/quality branded wrap and take your time! I was quoted $500 to do the windows, I may have a crack myself one day.
I've watched this a few times, seems to be a matter of disassembly, care and patience.
Old 12-13-19, 05:02 AM
maclem8223
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
If you do decide to DIY be sure to use 3M/quality branded wrap and take your time! I was quoted $500 to do the windows, I may have a crack myself one day.
I've watched this a few times, seems to be a matter of disassembly, care and patience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kE_8G_7cBA
Actually watched this yesterday myself, lol. Looking to do the same thing however; I don't think complete removal of the trim or mirror will be necessary. We shall see, plan on trying to tackle it this weekend.

Old 12-14-19, 10:31 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 50 Posts

I plasti-dipped the emblems on the trunk and used 3M vinyl for everything else. Front vinyl is actually a dark charcoal so it matches the other colors of the dark sections on the front. The trunk and window trim are black gloss. The door trim, believe it or not, it a $50 template kit from ebay. "window vinyl black out" whatever...

I tried other ways on the window trim, but got too frustrated. Bought the kit in a last ditch effort before paying a local shop $350 for the job. Unexpectedly, it turned out great. Next up, I'll wrap the roof myself, but three failed attempts indicate I'll pay the local shop to wrap the spoiler.

If you're patient, you can do a lot of the vinyl yourself. A heat gun and PATIENCE are the two things you need.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (12-16-19)
Old 12-15-19, 08:04 AM
val91
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried to chrome delete yesterday and failed haha. I’m getting more material next week again and trying again. Get the knifeless tape that’s what I regret not getting.
Old 01-11-20, 12:03 AM
IS250DIYER
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Flat black spray can or color of ur choice and a roll of painters tape from walmart or auto parts store along with 3 or so hours.

also did the roof. Lot of hours of buffing snd wet sanding but it turned out great.
Old 01-11-20, 12:38 PM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ju

Just watch a few CKWRAPS videos and do it yourself. He's pretty damn good. I wrapped my GS a few months back, still have to do the trim. The GS was much easier to wrap than my genesis.
Old 01-11-20, 09:32 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

I’m thinking of getting the chrome done but thinking the c pillar treatment is very GS distinct and if reduced by changing it to black I wonder if the over all styling will get very generic.
GsLex02 (01-12-20)
Old 01-17-20, 08:16 AM
strongvico
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyP25
Lot of people 3M vinyl wrap the chrome trims and plasti dip the badges. You can find lots of videos on youtube for DIY projects. You can also find a local wrap/tint place if you rather pay. Where in cali are you?
do you know a good shop to do it in S. Cali I’m in I.E.
Old 01-17-20, 10:22 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

If you're in Socal, I highly recommend @Don Nguyen . He did an excellent job on my car. Very reasonable prices and he will travel to your location.
Old 01-20-20, 09:26 AM
Don Nguyen
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need help with wrapping the trim, let me know. My e-mail is don@wannaberacer.com
Old 01-20-20, 01:38 PM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone deleted the front grill trim? That will be my next mod.
Old 01-27-20, 12:14 PM
Drew615
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Folks,
2015 White pearl / Flaxen Luxury package w/19" wheels painted black. Been thinking about wrapping front bumper between the grills. Just noticed that the top grill is not totally black like the bottom grill. Also was looking at wrapping all the chrome, however the shop here in Nashville want $1000 to do this. Got another bid from a different shop but only $50 less then the first. This seems high to me. What have some of yall paid to de chrome? The second was going to charge me $250 to paint the top grill black is that fair? How long does a wrap last vs plasti dip? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Drew615
Old 01-27-20, 12:42 PM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew615
Hey Folks,
2015 White pearl / Flaxen Luxury package w/19" wheels painted black. Been thinking about wrapping front bumper between the grills. Just noticed that the top grill is not totally black like the bottom grill. Also was looking at wrapping all the chrome, however the shop here in Nashville want $1000 to do this. Got another bid from a different shop but only $50 less then the first. This seems high to me. What have some of yall paid to de chrome? The second was going to charge me $250 to paint the top grill black is that fair? How long does a wrap last vs plasti dip? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Drew615
$1000 to wrap the chrome trim is robbery. You can get a whole car done for 3k-5k. Wrap can last much longer than plastidip and is easier to reverse. Especially if the plastidip was sprayed on thin. A good quality vinyl such as 3m, Avery, hexis, kpmf, can last upwards of 5-7years. Things like climate you're in, if the car sits outside most of its life, the original install prep, all play a part in how long it will last. My last car was wrapped for 6years and it came off easy and still looked good even though it was a matte color. My GS has been fully wrapped for about 6months now.
NickMayer (01-28-20)

Quick Reply: How to blackout chrome trimming?