GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 09:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Hmm, I want to say one thing at a time, but *if* I was going to tear all that out, it would be silly not to try to get some AA action.

All that said, lets pretend for a second I am a complete and total idiot. I have a '15 GS350, I get a 16+ screen and radio. Will they come with cords or is that luck of the draw. Then pretty much plug in everything I can, or I'm plugging in pretty much the exact same things I unplugged from old stuff?
Then pretty much plug in everything I can, or I'm plugging in pretty much the exact same things I unplugged from old stuff?
Yes.

The 2016 will have an extra Brown video output, but that doesn't plug into anything, everything else is exactly the same. The 2017+ don't have this brown video output plug. My guess is maybe it went to the 2016 instrument cluster. The only thing that doesn't show up on the 12.3" screen anymore is the animation when you change drive modes, but it shows in the instrument cluster at least on my 2013, might work on your 2015 since the other plugs are the same. I found that annoying anyways now my passengers don't know when I switch

The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 09:44 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Then pretty much plug in everything I can, or I'm plugging in pretty much the exact same things I unplugged from old stuff?
Yes.

The 2016 will have an extra Brown video output, but that doesn't plug into anything, everything else is exactly the same. The 2017+ don't have this brown video output plug. My guess is maybe it went to the 2016 instrument cluster. The only thing that doesn't show up on the 12.3" screen anymore is the animation when you change drive modes, but it shows in the instrument cluster at least on my 2013, might work on your 2015 since the other plugs are the same. I found that annoying anyways now my passengers don't know when I switch
Awesome. I have quote requests for the parts from car-parts. Still nervous about pulling these out, but excited thinking about doing this.

I like the animations, but really in the beginning I only cared to remind me the difference between sport and sport plus. Don't really need reminding anymore, lol

You da man.

Old 02-10-21, 12:36 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Yes.

When I was looking at head units, the 2017 models I saw had the brown output as well. On my 2016, the brown plug was there on the head unit but there was nothing plugged in. After I swapped a 2016 non-nav for a nav unit, the instrument cluster is properly displaying nav information.
Old 02-10-21, 12:37 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
When I was looking at head units, the 2017 models I saw had the brown output as well. On my 2016, the brown plug was there on the head unit but there was nothing plugged in. After I swapped a 2016 non-nav for a nav unit, the instrument cluster is properly displaying nav information.
The 12.3" display also has an unused video port. I guess maybe for testing purposes at the factory.
NickMayer (02-10-21)
Old 02-11-21, 12:46 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

The 12.3" display also has an unused video port. I guess maybe for testing purposes at the factory.
Or maybe to change the orientation of the boxes on the screen for right hand vs. left hand drive vehicles?
Old 02-15-21, 07:41 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes.

QUOTE.
Same!
I went from 2015 to 2016 and lost the animation as well. Not a big deal considering all I had gained. And like you said, you can still see it in the instrument cluster.
Old 02-15-21, 07:44 AM
tomex77
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Awesome. I have quote requests for the parts from car-parts. Still nervous about pulling these out, but excited thinking about doing this.

I like the animations, but really in the beginning I only cared to remind me the difference between sport and sport plus. Don't really need reminding anymore, lol

You da man.
You can do it man! Like Peasodos said, it really plug and play. The only thing I had to worry about was making sure the head unit I bought had the correct map sd card with it. If not you'll have to buy a new one from lexus. You'll pay like 250 but you get updated maps.
NickMayer (02-17-21)
Old 02-15-21, 07:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tomex77
QUOTE.
Same!
I went from 2015 to 2016 and lost the animation as well. Not a big deal considering all I had gained. And like you said, you can still see it in the instrument cluster.
In techsteam there are fault codes for the display/head unit losing connection with the instrument cluster, so yeah there is a connection missing, but it's not a big deal.
Old 02-17-21, 10:07 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomex77
You can do it man! Like Peasodos said, it really plug and play. The only thing I had to worry about was making sure the head unit I bought had the correct map sd card with it. If not you'll have to buy a new one from lexus. You'll pay like 250 but you get updated maps.
Asked for quotes from junkyards off car-parts but never heard back. There was a screen for 515 that seemed to good to be true. REALLY want to do this.
Old 02-17-21, 10:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Asked for quotes from junkyards off car-parts but never heard back. There was a screen for 515 that seemed to good to be true. REALLY want to do this.
You need to call them, most of these places only take you seriously if you call.
Old 02-17-21, 12:09 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

You need to call them, most of these places only take you seriously if you call.
Good call. I'll give them a call.
Old 02-17-21, 07:38 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

Good call. I'll give them a call.
Don’t even waste your time calling. I drove 4 hours to the yard to tell me they do not have it.
Old 02-17-21, 08:01 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
Don’t even waste your time calling. I drove 4 hours to the yard to tell me they do not have it.
I call, make the deal over the phone, pay, and they ship it to me. No need to waste time driving 4 hours. I've actually paid for something they couldn't find, but they refunded me, but also never left my house.

So your saying don't call and waste your time driving there?
NickMayer (02-18-21)
Old 02-17-21, 09:11 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

I call, make the deal over the phone, pay, and they ship it to me. No need to waste time driving 4 hours. I've actually paid for something they couldn't find, but they refunded me, but also never left my house.

No, I’m tell him to don’t call because they just waste your time.

I called and was told it was held for me for pickup. Okay, I drove there to pick it up to find out it was never “found”.
Old 02-18-21, 08:17 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

That's what I would do, if possible.
No, I’m tell him to don’t call because they just waste your time.

I called and was told it was held for me for pickup. Okay, I drove there to pick it up to find out it was never “found”.
Same question as peasodos, what ARE you saying? Don't bother calling at all? Just drive up there and take a even bigger chance at wasting my time? lol

I mean, it is the other end of a large state for me, so DEF not just driving up there without talking to anyone.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh