GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 10:39 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

You need to call to request detailed photos. The ones they typically post do not have the resolution to show nicks and scratches. Some minor ones are inevitable when dealing with junkyard parts but some are really beat up. I am always glad I obtain those photos to get the best idea of the condition.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-18-21)
Old 02-18-21, 01:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
You need to call to request detailed photos. The ones they typically post do not have the resolution to show nicks and scratches. Some minor ones are inevitable when dealing with junkyard parts but some are really beat up. I am always glad I obtain those photos to get the best idea of the condition.
As far as the plastic screen lens goes. If it's damaged you can just swap it with the one from your car. That's what I did and sold the other one as is. But if there is any damage you can use that in negotiations.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-18-21)
Old 02-19-21, 03:08 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
As far as the plastic screen lens goes. If it's damaged you can just swap it with the one from your car. That's what I did and sold the other one as is. But if there is any damage you can use that in negotiations.
Yup that makes it easier for the screen. That wasnt my case for my swap from the smaller screen but I was more concerned with the head unit.

The reality is that once its installed in the car, unless it's under super bright lighting, small nicks are not noticeable but it's always hard to spend a good chunk of change to get something less than perfect, especially if it's a perfect unit that's being replaced. I honestly dont understand how some of these get the nicks or scratches they do, I've owned cars for a decade that have had zero damage or wear to the buttons.

Last edited by BMGS; 02-19-21 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 02:21 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
Yup that makes it easier for the screen. That wasnt my case for my swap from the smaller screen but I was more concerned with the head unit.

The reality is that once its installed in the car, unless it's under super bright lighting, small nicks are not noticeable but it's always hard to spend a good chunk of change to get something less than perfect, especially if it's a perfect unit that's being replaced. I honestly dont understand how some of these get the nicks or scratches they do, I've owned cars for a decade that have had zero damage or wear to the buttons.
A Salvaged yard car. No love for taking Luxury cars parts out to keep them cosmetically undamaged. Likely when they pull the units.
Old 04-27-21, 07:58 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

My parts will be for sale soon if anyone is interested! It will be in the marketplace section!
Old 07-30-21, 01:13 PM
mfaheem
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMSGadded
I have a spare video cable for sale if anyone is interested in tackling this mod

Do you still have this ?
Old 07-30-21, 01:21 PM
mfaheem
Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
My parts will be for sale soon if anyone is interested! It will be in the marketplace section!

Which parts are you selling?
Old 07-31-21, 07:47 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
They all have it. It bolts onto the bottom of the radio. Usually when they resell the units they remove it and sell it separately. The picture of the 2017 just happens to not have it bolted on. The antenna splitter from 2013 is exactly the same as the one on a 2019.

Peasodos I found a fairly priced 2018 unit that will ship next week. I just wanted you to review the pictures and give your blessing before I make payment if possible please. Looking at the back picture I noticed it doesnt have the gps receiver. Is that going to be a concern ?

Old 07-31-21, 08:29 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mfaheem
Peasodos I found a fairly priced 2018 unit that will ship next week. I just wanted you to review the pictures and give your blessing before I make payment if possible please. Looking at the back picture I noticed it doesnt have the gps receiver. Is that going to be a concern ?

I started the upgrade change on my 13 Lux w/ ML. As you can see from the link below. I have not did the install yet because I need the same connector off the harness and have not found it yet short of finding the wire off a complete wire harness that is selling out there from $300 plus. I hate to pay $300 plus for a complete harness just to get that 1 wire.

Do you have the Display also? You need the newer year Display also. The one you have does look to be the Head unit you need.

Here is my link thread about the upgrade.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
Old 07-31-21, 08:36 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
I started the upgrade change on my 13 Lux w/ ML. As you can see from the link below. I have not did the install yet because I need the same connector off the harness and have not found it yet short of finding the wire off a complete wire harness that is selling out there from $300 plus. I hate to pay $300 plus for a complete harness just to get that 1 wire.

Do you have the Display also? You need the newer year Display also. The one you have does look to be the Head unit you need.

Here is my link thread about the upgrade.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html

Yes I got the navigation screen off a 2018 as well. What did you do about the radio wires ? The connector that pseados has linked in the previous post is sold out/not in stock anymore
Old 07-31-21, 08:50 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Yes I got the navigation screen off a 2018 as well. What did you do about the radio wires ? The connector that pseados has linked in the previous post is sold out/not in stock anymore
Have not gotten that one yet either. Are you talking about the antenna connector? I though I saw it being sold elsewhere also. But I forgot where. If I find it Ill let you know, if you find it, please let me know please.
Old 07-31-21, 08:54 AM
mfaheem
Driver

Have not gotten that one yet either. Are you talking about the antenna connector? I though I saw it being sold elsewhere also. But I forgot where. If I find it Ill let you know, if you find it, please let me know please.

Yes this one link that pseados had mentioned previously. My understanding was that we need (2) of these and 1 video cable.

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/xmm-toy.html
Old 07-31-21, 07:15 PM
mfaheem
Driver

FYI the antenna connectors just came back in stock this morning. I would grab 2 fast as they were sold out for the longest time. Now you and I both just need to find a video cable.

I think I might have a solution that could work for both of us if my theory is correct.

If we buy a harness for cheap on Ebay then the green connector will have two connections that go into the back of the headunit. Since we only need one that one of us can de-pin the connector and give it to the other. One guy will use the cable and one will have to crimp/solder the connector. If that makes any sense. I picked up this information above where the other users were making their custom connectors.
Old 07-31-21, 09:33 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

FYI the antenna connectors just came back in stock this morning. I would grab 2 fast as they were sold out for the longest time. Now you and I both just need to find a video cable.

I think I might have a solution that could work for both of us if my theory is correct.

If we buy a harness for cheap on Ebay then the green connector will have two connections that go into the back of the headunit. Since we only need one that one of us can de-pin the connector and give it to the other. One guy will use the cable and one will have to crimp/solder the connector. If that makes any sense. I picked up this information above where the other users were making their custom connectors.
Hey thanks. I sent you a pm.

Last edited by jgscott; 08-04-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 05:05 PM
mfaheem
Driver

Guys... I finished the upgrade for a 2018 radio and 2017 screen and got the dreaded error for not able to read SD card. For those of you who did this already any help please

Quick Reply: Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh