GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 11:32 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Chungvatra
It is not screen mirroring. It is Lsailt android interface.
ah ok post more pics of the interface, also do you have apple carplay or android auto or does that android interface already have waze or google maps.
Old 03-30-20, 01:25 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 27 Posts

It has everything you asked. The only think I don’t like is that the sound quality coming from it (when you switch to aux) seems not as good as original.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chungvatra:
anish3232 (03-30-20), chriso5573 (03-30-20)
Old 05-03-20, 06:24 PM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
In the GS it's not a simple reverse light signal that triggers the backup camera. 2013-2014 has a different wiring for reverse than 2015-2020, one is driven by canbus signal and the other is analog signal. My aftermarket carplay kit has the option to add on a aftermarket reverse camera, I'm hoping that will work perfectly. I'll update the thread when I get the aftermarket camera working.
Do you think it is possible to use a canbus to analog signal converter? Maybe something like this? https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/ind...nalogue-module

The aftermarket reverse camera clearly provides better quality with full screen view rather than partial based on the pictures you uploaded, but then there is a dependence on the Carlinkit unit for it to work.
Just trying to see if there is a way to get the stock camera working from the 2013 with the 2016 head unit.
Old 05-03-20, 07:14 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SciGuy
Do you think it is possible to use a canbus to analog signal converter? Maybe something like this? https://www.vboxautomotive.co.uk/ind...nalogue-module

The aftermarket reverse camera clearly provides better quality with full screen view rather than partial based on the pictures you uploaded, but then there is a dependence on the Carlinkit unit for it to work.
Just trying to see if there is a way to get the stock camera working from the 2013 with the 2016 head unit.
It is possible to get the stock camera working but I think you will need 2016 camera and run the wires directly to the screen and 2 extra wires for CAN signal.

Old 05-03-20, 09:03 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible to get the stock camera working but I think you will need 2016 camera and run the wires directly to the screen and 2 extra wires for CAN signal.
I tried this, but I used a 2015 camera, so I’m not sure if a 2016 would have worked.
Old 05-03-20, 09:11 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

I tried this, but I used a 2015 camera, so I’m not sure if a 2016 would have worked.
I think you need 16+ gateway ecu also since stock gateway won’t understand the new camera.
Old 05-03-20, 09:44 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I think you need 16+ gateway ecu also since stock gateway won’t understand the new camera.
That's a good point, I wired it without thinking about that. In any case I like my aftermarket setup for the Camera and the Carlinkit Carplay.
Old 05-03-20, 10:03 PM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Something like this gateway ECU? I had this one saved in case I experience parasitic draw. Not sure if this is the same ECU though...
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...100-30181.html

Since I do not know much about electrical systems or wiring, I'm going down a rabbit hole of info based on your last post lol! Trying to go from clueless to semi-clueless
Learning about how CAN works with various ECUs, analog signals, twisted pair wiring for analog to reduce noise and interference, differential signaling between the CANL and CANH and how disturbances to both wires are eliminated as a result of the cancellation, etc. etc.

Also trying to figure out if the 2013 wiring will still work if a 2015+ camera is used, or if twisted pair wiring is needed for analog protection (obviously need the two extra wires for CAN signal that you mentioned)
Old 05-03-20, 10:08 PM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

That's a good point, I wired it without thinking about that. In any case I like my aftermarket setup for the Camera and the Carlinkit Carplay.
I sort of want to avoid the entire hassle and go with a similar set up as you on that.
Alpine aftermarket camera, wire it from behind the glove box to the back seats/trunk. My only issue is that I have a Pixel phone, and it seems Android has been clunky with Carlinkit... or maybe that is only an issue with wireless Android and can be avoided if I just plug the phone in with a USB extender cable.
Old 05-03-20, 10:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I sort of want to avoid the entire hassle and go with a similar set up as you on that.
Alpine aftermarket camera, wire it from behind the glove box to the back seats/trunk. My only issue is that I have a Pixel phone, and it seems Android has been clunky with Carlinkit... or maybe that is only an issue with wireless Android and can be avoided if I just plug the phone in with a USB extender cable.
Yeah that's why I switched to iphone XS from Galaxy S8, the android auto on Carlinkit is not very good.Also the iPhone Xs is a much better phone than the S8, I never owned an iphone before, no regrets.
Old 05-04-20, 12:57 AM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that's why I switched to iphone XS from Galaxy S8, the android auto on Carlinkit is not very good.Also the iPhone Xs is a much better phone than the S8, I never owned an iphone before, no regrets.
At this stage, I feel iphones and new androids all have insane cameras and speed. The brands are leveling out, except that the Iphone has a way better "universe". The integration with macbook, ipads, airpods, watches... I do wish they had always on display though, I use that all the time.

Side note - Do you think the reverse camera interface that you posted before still has potential? I know you didn't go that route, so maybe you found out it was incompatible or something?
https://roadpassion.en.alibaba.com/p...718e5e1d7ozVRa

Old 05-04-20, 01:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

At this stage, I feel iphones and new androids all have insane cameras and speed. The brands are leveling out, except that the Iphone has a way better "universe". The integration with macbook, ipads, airpods, watches... I do wish they had always on display though, I use that all the time.

Side note - Do you think the reverse camera interface that you posted before still has potential? I know you didn't go that route, so maybe you found out it was incompatible or something?
https://roadpassion.en.alibaba.com/p...718e5e1d7ozVRa
Honestly I have no idea if it will work.
Old 05-04-20, 01:17 AM
SciGuy
Driver School Candidate

Honestly I have no idea if it will work.
You took a gamble and tried out the carlinkit kit before there were any reviews for our car, so I think I'll gamble and get the interface. Let's see what happens lol.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (05-05-20)
Old 05-04-20, 02:33 AM
swolh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading this thread with interest, but about 90% is unintelligible to me. I'd like to understand how the 2013 head unit, display, amplifier and sound system work. Is there a place or source that explains this stuff "for dummies" like me who have almost no experience with the kind of electronics involved in the cabin of a 2013 gen Lexus? I've been fixing my own vehicles for over 40 years, but the cabin electronics in the 2013 gen Lexus GS seem like they're from another planet to me. If I need a degree in electrical engineering, so be it and I'll give up trying to understand it.
Old 05-04-20, 11:06 AM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swolh
I've been reading this thread with interest, but about 90% is unintelligible to me. I'd like to understand how the 2013 head unit, display, amplifier and sound system work. Is there a place or source that explains this stuff "for dummies" like me who have almost no experience with the kind of electronics involved in the cabin of a 2013 gen Lexus? I've been fixing my own vehicles for over 40 years, but the cabin electronics in the 2013 gen Lexus GS seem like they're from another planet to me. If I need a degree in electrical engineering, so be it and I'll give up trying to understand it.
I didn’t know even a bit about car electric stuff like three months ago. All I have learned are from this forum and practicing on my car.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein 2017+ GS Head Unit into a 2013 GSh