GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

courtesy service

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-19, 05:12 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Default courtesy service

Had the car serviced on Saturday, reported brake squealing and slight front end pull. It was raining that day and the brakes were not squealing, so Lexus said nothing to fix. They did say the car could use a front end alignment and would not do it as a courtesy service stating my car had one done from previous owner so I had to fork over $165. The oil change was done as a courtesy of as the car is a certified vehicle.

Old 12-31-19, 06:07 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 419 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVEB1980
Had the car serviced on Saturday, reported brake squealing and slight front end pull. It was raining that day and the brakes were not squealing, so Lexus said nothing to fix. They did say the car could use a front end alignment and would not do it as a courtesy service stating my car had one done from previous owner so I had to fork over $165. The oil change was done as a courtesy of as the car is a certified vehicle.
165 for an alignment is crooked highway robbery.
Old 12-31-19, 06:39 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

PEP Boys offers lifetime wheel alignment for $149.99. Wont be getting that service done again by Lexus.
Old 12-31-19, 07:03 AM
LYTE
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PEP Boys offers lifetime wheel alignment for $149.99. Wont be getting that service done again by Lexus.
speak more about this lifetime wheel alignment
Old 12-31-19, 07:26 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Go to the PEP boys web site and search wheel alignment,
Lifetime Alignment Service Package - As Low As $149.99(with coupon)
  • One small bump in the road or swerve to the curve can throw off your wheels and de-rail the alignment, causing lower miles per gallon, poor steering, tire wear, and ultimately your safety
  • You will receive exceptional service and care from our certified professional technicians whenever and wherever you need it*
  • Lifetime/Unlimited mile warranty
* Some vehicles may have worn or damaged steering or suspension components that could require replacement prior to completing your vehicle's alignment. Wedge adjustments or shim kits are available for an additional charge for vehicles that are not factory adjustable. Additional charges may apply to certain vehicles
Old 12-31-19, 07:35 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,450 Posts

• One small bump in the road or swerve to the curve can throw off your wheels and de-rail the alignment, causing lower miles per gallon, poor steering, tire wear, and ultimately your safety
  • You will receive exceptional service and care from our certified professional technicians whenever and wherever you need it*
* Some vehicles may have worn or damaged steering or suspension components that could require replacement prior to completing your vehicle's alignment. Wedge adjustments or shim kits are available for an additional charge for vehicles that are not factory adjustable. Additional charges may apply to certain vehicles
I've only gotten an alignment with new tires, even when I did the alignment on my GS at 70k miles, just the toe was off a bit, just out of spec. I think on this car the toe is the only thing you can adjust. Camber and castor would only be out of wack if you were in an accident.
The shop I go to for tires does a free alignment check and then it's up to you whether to pay to get it adjusted.
So in my case this lifetime alignment for what I'm assuming is the lifetime of the tire is a total waste of money. I'd rather pay $80 and get it done if necessary with a new set of tires.

Last edited by peasodos; 12-31-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-31-19, 07:40 AM
LYTE
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea i went straight to their website after i saw your post.
how long you had it?
want to know is there any restrictions.
are you able to go to any pepboys etc?
Old 12-31-19, 07:55 AM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont know about pep boys but firestone has the same thing but it the lifetime that you have the car not tires. It just cant be transfer to new owner when you sell the car
Old 12-31-19, 07:56 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Me - I really wouldn't trust Pep Boys mechanics. But, again, that's just me. If I wanted an alignment I'd go to a place that specializes in alignments, not an auto parts store or a car dealer. There's a reason Discount Tire doesn't do alignments.

Lou

Old 12-31-19, 08:04 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

All of PEP boys mechanics are certified and they are super cheap so is Walmart, For simple work why pay the dealership mark ups.
Old 12-31-19, 08:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^An alignment is NOT simple work. The mechanic needs to be specialized. And, as I said, I don't recommend a dealer for alignment work. Walmart

If a mechanic is any good, he's not working at Walmart or Pep Boys.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
harryjames (03-27-24)
Old 12-31-19, 10:24 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^An alignment is NOT simple work. The mechanic needs to be specialized. And, as I said, I don't recommend a dealer for alignment work. Walmart

If a mechanic is any good, he's not working at Walmart or Pep Boys.

Lou
The best advice is to [try to] find someone that really (REALLY) knows how to align vehicles and has been doing it for many, many years at the same location. In my search I found a mechanic that specializes in alignments that has been doing alignments for the same place for almost 20 years. He knows his stuff and loves to have customers watch him perform his magic, and is willing to explain what he's doing...and how so many others make their mistakes. He prefers that you get behind the wheel (if you often drive alone) because your weight makes a difference in alignment. Also, he'll adjust to slightly offset which way a car's alignment will likely get off. On a somewhat breezy day he showed me how the breeze can affect the alignment adjustments he makes, which required him to close the bay door. He takes great pride in doing alignments perfectly...
Old 12-31-19, 11:34 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yup - My guy allows me to sit in the driver's seat while doing his magic. That way he can center the steering wheel perfectly

Lou
Old 12-31-19, 02:49 PM
silver4gs
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal916
I dont know about pep boys but firestone has the same thing but it the lifetime that you have the car not tires. It just cant be transfer to new owner when you sell the car
This! Still have it on my Honda and will buy it again next time I need an alignment. It's the lifetime of having the car, basically you do two alignments and it pays in itself already.
Old 12-31-19, 02:59 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 946 Likes on 580 Posts

All of PEP boys mechanics are certified and they are super cheap so is Walmart, For simple work why pay the dealership mark ups.
Whoa... if you get all your work done super cheap at Walmart and Pep Boys, I wouldn't want to ride in your car.... Scary...!

While I agree with you that dealerships are closer to stealerships, your preferred mechanics are at the other end of the scale. There's a reason for the saying.. "You get what you pay for." If you don't pay your employees very well, don't expect high quality. I think Walmart and Pep Boys have proven their service leaves A LOT to be desired. And finding a good independent shop is also a huge challenge, I guess that's the reason I'm a DIYer.

Edit: you did say simple service, so that might mitigate your decision somewhat. But if it’s simple, I’d rather do it myself than trust my car to the techs at low price service centers. Don’t get me wrong, Pep Boys and Walmart do have a legitimate space in the auto service industry... luckily it’s not a space I live in.

Last edited by chinee; 12-31-19 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: courtesy service