GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Scraping Sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20 | 08:28 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
It's actually quite rare for a stone or pebble to become wedged between the brake rotor and brake pad, or between the brake rotor and the shield. If it does happen, it's either crushed or vibrates out quickly.
Very rare indeed but, this happened to mine after I drove away from the dealer when picking up the car new. Don't know exactly what came between the pad and rotor but Lexus warrantied a new rotor and pads for me.

The following users liked this post:
gs350lex (01-11-20)
Old 01-11-20 | 08:48 AM
chinee
Racer

If I remember correctly the OP has a 2015 F sport, how many miles on the brakes and rotors?
gs350lex (01-16-20)
Old 01-11-20 | 09:04 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chinee
If I remember correctly the OP has a 2015 F sport, how many miles on the brakes and rotors?
35000kms (21748 miles)
Old 01-16-20 | 06:18 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

UPDATE:

This whole time i thought the scraping noise was coming from the front when in fact it was the rear. I neglected to look at the rear dust shields because I was certain it was the fronts. Two days ago I had noticed the rear dust shield had little to no clearance from the rotor so I pushed the dust shields back with a long screw driver and hammer and haven't had the noise return yet.

Its only been two days but I've haven't heard the noise at all. So the good news is I'm hoping this was the only issue and the bad news is that my dealership is going to get a peace of my mind when i see them next for my oil change.

GregCanada (01-21-20)
Old 01-16-20 | 10:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gs350lex
UPDATE:

This whole time i thought the scraping noise was coming from the front when in fact it was the rear. I neglected to look at the rear dust shields because I was certain it was the fronts. Two days ago I had noticed the rear dust shield had little to no clearance from the rotor so I pushed the dust shields back with a long screw driver and hammer and haven't had the noise return yet.

Its only been two days but I've haven't heard the noise at all. So the good news is I'm hoping this was the only issue and the bad news is that my dealership is going to get a peace of my mind when i see them next for my oil change.
I don't blame you for being pissed-off at the dealership's service department. They should have checked all four corners. And, for them to tell you it was almost time for new brake pads with only 50% pad material gone is just not right...
gs350lex (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20 | 11:01 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

I don't blame you for being pissed-off at the dealership's service department. They should have checked all four corners. And, for them to tell you it was almost time for new brake pads with only 50% pad material gone is just not right...

It's sad because their considered one of the top dealerships in Toronto for Lexus service. They even go as far as to provide you with breakfast and sometimes lunch if you are there for long enough. It must be because i am not giving them enough business I literally only go to the dealer for oil changes and tire changeovers .
Old 01-16-20 | 11:11 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

It's sad because their considered one of the top dealerships in Toronto for Lexus service. They even go as far as to provide you with breakfast and sometimes lunch if you are there for long enough. It must be because i am not giving them enough business I literally only go to the dealer for oil changes and tire changeovers .
I would nicely let them know that their failure to find the [simple] cause of the problem caused you a significant amount of wasted time. Also, their wrong advice about the need to replace the brake pads when 50% brake pad material remained has caused some degree of distrust in their service advice. You should tell them you'd like to remain a Lexus customer and continue to visit the service department but would appreciate some goodwill to help you overcome the wasted time they caused you and for the bad advice they gave you.
gs350lex (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20 | 01:58 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

I would nicely let them know that their failure to find the [simple] cause of the problem caused you a significant amount of wasted time. Also, their wrong advice about the need to replace the brake pads when 50% brake pad material remained has caused some degree of distrust in their service advice. You should tell them you'd like to remain a Lexus customer and continue to visit the service department but would appreciate some goodwill to help you overcome the wasted time they caused you and for the bad advice they gave you.

I've never tried that before didn't even know it was a thing. I will definitely let them know and hope they do something. Time to show them who's boss.

Thanks bclexus been extremely helpful here!
Old 01-21-20 | 10:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I've never tried that before didn't even know it was a thing. I will definitely let them know and hope they do something. Time to show them who's boss.

Thanks bclexus been extremely helpful here!
You are welcome.

Give it a try - they'll give you a free oil change!
Old 01-21-20 | 10:06 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

You are welcome.

Give it a try - they'll give you a free oil change!
UPDATE:

I voiced my concerns and frustration to the service manager and as a result of the headache I was put through I was offered an apology as well as a free oil change. So i'm happy about that and the fact that they didn't try to deny fault on their end. Overall good result. Big thanks to bclexus because if it wasn't for him I wouldn't of even attempted this.
Old 01-21-20 | 10:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:

I voiced my concerns and frustration to the service manager and as a result of the headache I was put through I was offered an apology as well as a free oil change. So i'm happy about that and the fact that they didn't try to deny fault on their end. Overall good result. Big thanks to bclexus because if it wasn't for him I wouldn't of even attempted this.
I would have also for a 30% refund on the pad replacement, since they made you waste 30-40% of good pads on the older set.
gs350lex (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20 | 10:16 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATE:

You're very welcome!

Excellent results! You did exactly as you should have by complaining nicely, and the dealership did exactly as they should have done to appease you with an apology and the goodwill gesture for a free oil change.
Old 01-21-20 | 12:31 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I would have also for a 30% refund on the pad replacement, since they made you waste 30-40% of good pads on the older set.
I believe you may have misread what I wrote above. They never charged me for a pad replacement as I never ended up replacing them.