GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Scraping Sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 10:10 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Scraping Sound when turning

I have a 15 GS350 F-Sport within the last few days I have been experiencing a scraping like noise when turning left at signals (it happens here and there not often though). I have also heard it when reversing and turning out of a parking lot. I had my oil changed a few days ago (Saturday) and although the two are most likely not related it seems like a weird coincidence. I'm pretty sure Its not the backing plates touching the rotors which was what I suspected at first. The car also feels a little off on the highway at high speeds (almost like something is loose). I'm having this checked out tomorrow morning but like some ideas.

Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be related to the suspension ?
Old 01-07-20, 01:06 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I guess look under the car and the wheel wells to see if any of the plastic panels are loose. Most likely something in the front wheel well.

To do the oil change you do have to remove a small plastic panel under the car. if they stripped a bolt or something they might have dropped the entire plastic panel or part of it under the engine bay instead of the access point for the filter.
Old 01-07-20, 01:35 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I guess look under the car and the wheel wells to see if any of the plastic panels are loose. Most likely something in the front wheel well.

To do the oil change you do have to remove a small plastic panel under the car. if they stripped a bolt or something they might have dropped the entire plastic panel or part of it under the engine bay instead of the access point for the filter.
This is frustrating now I have to go back to them and deal with this nonsense hopefully its something minor.

Thanks. Appreciate the response peasodos.
Old 01-07-20, 01:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
This is frustrating now I have to go back to them and deal with this nonsense hopefully its something minor.
What kind of place is 'them'?
The following users liked this post:
gs350lex (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 02:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Appreciate the response peasodos.
I would just start by looking under your car first, just lay on the ground or do a push up next to the car to see if there is anything obvious hanging down. Then for the front wheel well turn the wheel all the way to one side, inspect and turn it the other way and check, do this for both front wheels.

gs350lex (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 02:49 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 946 Likes on 580 Posts

It could be the wear indicators on your brake pads.
gs350lex (01-07-20)
Old 01-07-20, 02:55 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
What kind of place is 'them'?
Sorry. The Lexus dealership i service at (Ken Shaw Lexus).
Old 01-07-20, 02:55 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I would just start by looking under your car first, just lay on the ground or do a push up next to the car to see if there is anything obvious hanging down. Then for the front wheel well turn the wheel all the way to one side, inspect and turn it the other way and check, do this for both front wheels.
Have tried this don't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Old 01-07-20, 02:58 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chinee
It could be the wear indicators on your brake pads.
Does it do this when the brake pads are towards the end of their life? Sorry I've haven't had to deal with this before so pardon my ignorance.
Old 01-07-20, 03:25 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Does it do this when the brake pads are towards the end of their life? Sorry I've haven't had to deal with this before so pardon my ignorance.
If there is nothing obvious hanging underneath the car then it's probably nothing to do with the oil change.

The metal indicator on the pad is suppose to squeak, if it's scraping and it's the brakes, then some part of the pad is probably worn down to metal. Only metal on metal will make a scraping sound if it's brake related. Only way to know for sure is to take the wheel off and inspect the pads inner and outer. If it is down to metal then you might also need to replace the rotor if it's badly grooved.

Best thing to do is to take it to a shop have them take your wheels off inspect the brakes, suspension. Also might as well have them check the rear brakes.

Then there is also the brake pad dust shield behind the rotor that could be bent and scraping against the rotor on turns. that would be metal on metal.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-07-20 at 03:32 PM.
gs350lex (01-08-20)
Old 01-07-20, 06:07 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 946 Likes on 580 Posts

Some brake pads have a wear indicator so that when the pad get low, the feeler contacts the disc and squeals. This usually happens for me, especially when in reverse.

The following 2 users liked this post by chinee:
gs350lex (01-08-20), Im2bz2p345 (01-07-20)
Old 01-08-20, 06:06 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

UPDATE:

Looks like chinee was right they suspect its the brake pad indicators as they checked the whole suspension on the hoist and test drove it for a good 30minutes but were not able to replicate the sound. However it looks to them that my pads have about 50% life left and its the brake pad indicator telling me that it wil have to be changed soon (hence the intermitent scraping noise which is normal according to them when pads get down that low)

Good news no charge for this but the bad news is that pads and rotors probably need to be changed at the end of the year.

Old 01-08-20, 06:44 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

UPDATE:
Good news no charge for this but the bad news is that pads and rotors probably need to be changed at the end of the year.
Ken Shaw is by far my fav dealer for sales and service in the GTA.

Worst is DVNL and RHL. Avoid at all costs.
gs350lex (01-08-20)
Old 01-08-20, 07:16 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by er34
Ken Shaw is by far my fav dealer for sales and service in the GTA.

Worst is DVNL and RHL. Avoid at all costs.
I agree Ken Shaw has been the best in terms of service of all the Lexus dealerships I've been too. Downtown Lexus seems good too but I haven't done much there except an oil change once so can't really speak on them. Oakville is amazing for sales but their service is way below average its almost a complete joke. Don't even get me started on Don Valley Lexus they should honestly not even be allowed to be a Lexus dealership they are the worst and the sales reps are extremely rude there.
Old 01-08-20, 07:50 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have had similar noise on other vehicles because the brake shield on the engine side of the rotor got bent and when turning the rotor scrapes against the shield but not when not turning. Easily bent when doing something in the wheel well. Not sure if the GS has a shield.

Quick Reply: Scraping Sound when turning