Tire recommendations 2015 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 11:12 AM
xploded
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tire recommendations 2015 F Sport

Hello,

I was hoping to use the groups experience to come up with a new tire to try on my 2015 GS 350 F Sport. I have the stock F Sport staggered wheels. Current tires are Pirelli P Zero 265/35/ZR19 (98Y) in the rear, and 235/40/ZR19 (92Y) in the front. I've been happy with the tires when they are new, but once they get about half way worn they slide all over the place. Then I have to deal with a lack of grip until it's time to change them out. Admittedly, I drive the car hard (I don't endanger others) so I wear the tires out quickly. I wear the rears twice as fast as the front and go through two sets of rears in the time it takes to wear one set of fronts.

In a perfect world there would be a tire that would last longer, and maintain grip until it needs replacement, but I'd be happy with finding something else that improves at least one of those two things. Has anyone found a tire that they have been happy with? I'm not looking to drop a fortune on a race tire with superior grip that wears out quickly. My priorities are grip and wearability first, and then noise and comfort last. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I live in Phoenix, AZ so summer tires I assume.

Last edited by xploded; 01-16-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-20, 12:28 PM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by xploded
Hello,

I was hoping to use the groups experience to come up with a new tire to try on my 2015 GS 350 F Sport. I have the stock F Sport staggered wheels. Current tires are Pirelli P Zero 265/35/ZR19 (98Y) in the rear, and 235/40/ZR19 (92Y) in the front. I've been happy with the tires when they are new, but once they get about half way worn they slide all over the place. Then I have to deal with a lack of grip until it's time to change them out. Admittedly, I drive the car hard (I don't endanger others) so I wear the tires out quickly. I wear the rears twice as fast as the front and go through two sets of rears in the time it takes to wear one set of fronts.

In a perfect world there would be a tire that would last longer, and maintain grip until it needs replacement, but I'd be happy with finding something else that improves at least one of those two things. Has anyone found a tire that they have been happy with? I'm not looking to drop a fortune on a race tire with superior grip that wears out quickly. My priorities are grip and wearability first, and then noise and comfort last. Thanks for the help.

The tire you describe is the General G-Max AS. I just put them on my F-Sport and also ran them on my 335i. Crazy performance, longevity, and $167 for 245/35/19 size. They are amazing tires!
G
Old 01-17-20, 10:02 AM
TXDrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin A/S 3+ is the best overall 19" tire I've found. I would say the performance is ~90% of the Michelin PSS, but treadwear is quite a bit better. Although the Michelins are a bit pricier than other brands, I've found that they maintain their dry performance all the way down to 2/32" (the legal tread limit). Wet performance of course will start to diminish once you get past about 5/32", but it's a gradual decrease; the tire is still very predictable and resists hydroplaning. I got 20K out of the rears, over 30K from the fronts on my G37 (very similar suspension / weight / tire wear to the GS350).
The following users liked this post:
xploded (01-18-20)
Old 01-17-20, 11:04 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

another vote for Michelin A/S 3+. You won't be disappointed. Great tire overall
xploded (01-21-20)
Old 01-17-20, 03:03 PM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

All great tires, only one of them with save you a hundred bucks a tire....
There is no beating a Michelin tho
G
Old 01-18-20, 12:58 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gdog5149
All great tires, only one of them with save you a hundred bucks a tire....
There is no beating a Michelin tho
G
Yep that's all I buy, love my Sport 4s
Old 01-21-20, 02:49 PM
xploded
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdpdata
another vote for Michelin A/S 3+. You won't be disappointed. Great tire overall
It looks like the AS3+ does not come in the stock size for the front tires. Do you use an alternative size on the front?
Old 01-21-20, 10:23 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

It looks like the AS3+ does not come in the stock size for the front tires. Do you use an alternative size on the front?
245/40 front 275/35 rear
xploded (01-22-20)
Old 02-04-20, 06:45 PM
xploded
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by j.Veezy68
245/40 front 275/35 rear
i got the AS3+ in these sizes. Thanks for the help everyone. First impressions: The ride is smoother. Grip seems acceptable so far. The car feels noticeably slower with the new bigger size tires. Also, the car wanders in the lane more than it used to.
Old 02-04-20, 10:04 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

i got the AS3+ in these sizes. Thanks for the help everyone. First impressions: The ride is smoother. Grip seems acceptable so far. The car feels noticeably slower with the new bigger size tires. Also, the car wanders in the lane more than it used to.
have you gotten an alignment yet? I went 245/35/20 and 285/30/20 and the car drives straight.
Old 02-05-20, 08:34 AM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Give it a 100 miles or so for the tires to wear in a bit, need to soften up the compound. Also, the tramlining and reduction in speed that you're experiencing might be a placebo. AS3+ has a pretty tough sidewall, should feel quite flat.
gdog5149 (02-05-20)
Old 02-05-20, 11:42 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Hello,

Michelin Sport
Old 02-05-20, 05:49 PM
GSGSGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,

Good afternoon,

Four years ago my gs came with those same tires, they drive great but as soon as you hit 50% tire life they belong in the trash.

For the past years I run A/S 3 + get 245 front and 275 rear they will drive a little less nimble but more comfy and since I have Swift springs the bigger tires gives me more grip when I’m taking turns are high speeds. Also get the swift springs they are amazing same comfort as stock but drive way better.

Do it for the warranty these are the only staggered tires that you get 100% warranty from the front tires even if you run staggered set up.
Old 02-06-20, 10:47 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSGSGS
Good afternoon,

Four years ago my gs came with those same tires, they drive great but as soon as you hit 50% tire life they belong in the trash.

For the past years I run A/S 3 + get 245 front and 275 rear they will drive a little less nimble but more comfy and since I have Swift springs the bigger tires gives me more grip when I’m taking turns are high speeds. Also get the swift springs they are amazing same comfort as stock but drive way better.

Do it for the warranty these are the only staggered tires that you get 100% warranty from the front tires even if you run staggered set up.
Pirelli's have always been that way for decades!
GSGSGS (02-06-20)
Old 02-06-20, 12:34 PM
mrminsky
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased the Continentals DWS06 245 fronts and 275 rears back in November and they have been AMAZING. I love the quiet ride, handling, and all-weather ability. (Lots of rain in Atlanta) Even the gas mileage has improved. If you are able to get them with the usual rebates, you should be able to get them for about $800 out the door.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations 2015 F Sport