GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Keys in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 06:25 AM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Keys in trunk?

Had a random thought today; has anyone accidentally closed their trunk, with their keys in the trunk?

What happens? I'm so paranoid of this happening, thinking the trunk would close, while all the doors are locked, and I'd be screwed.

Is the car smart enough to not allow the trunk to close like how you can't lock the car with the keys in the car?
Old 01-17-20, 07:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Yes, the car knows.

If I lock the car, then leave a key in the trunk, the car beeps a long, constant and loud beep at me when I close the trunk. The trunk doesn't lock and the beeping continues until you open the trunk back up. So you should be fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
4double0 (01-18-20), Im2bz2p345 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 07:12 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I've done it twice at the airport.

When I travel, I put my keys in my laptop bag because I don't need them.
Sometimes I get to the car, pop the trunk, toss in the bags, and close the trunk again.
The car immediately beeps at me, and I open the trunk to retrieve the keys.

This works as long as your fob battery is healthy, so that maintenance is important.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 07:45 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

Hey that's good to know! I've never done it before and didn't know the car behaves that way with the key in the trunk. This car is sooooooo smart!
Old 01-17-20, 07:56 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I've done it too. Out of town, motel parking lot, car doors locked and had a oh ****** moment. I had changed out of my slacks and into shorts for the drive home and left my keys and wallet in my pants which I placed in the trunk and closed.. I don't recall it beeping, but thankfully it opened when I pushed the outside trunk button.
Old 01-17-20, 08:15 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

uhh..i have the 2012...i've left them in there....and trunk closes....and Taxi Home, and Taxi back with spare key.

Chain of event:
Key in Bag, Doors locked...walking towards car.
Get to Car, open trunk using outside button.
Place bag into trunk, press trunk button to close trunk.
Trunk Closes.
Head to driver side door, and touch the door...it doesn't open....
Frantic search in pant pockets, coat pockets, floor.....
then remember it is in the bag.
Taxi Arrives...
45 minutes drive to home....ask taxi to wait.
pick up wife's set of keys....taxi back to car...
Get to car, doors open but trunk stuck as something keeping latch from opening...
Use physical key to unlatch, and push trunk open - bag handle.
get my key, and swear to myself never to do this again.
Old 01-17-20, 09:08 AM
DAVEB1980
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Don't you have 2 sets of keys? 1 set of keys would make me paranoid considering I have lost, broke or thrown keys out in the past.
Old 01-17-20, 10:03 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts

My wife leaves her keys in her purse in the truck of the car when we drive together, I have a '15. touch unlock does not work if you lock the car with you keys it in, you have to press the unlock or lock button. If you try to lock the car with 1 set of keys in the car using touch the car won't lock. its pretty hard to lock your keys in the car with this vehicle , and basically impossible if you have the enform app as well....
Im2bz2p345 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When I went on vacation I took both sets of keys with me just in case I happened to lose one pair, I always keep the normal keys in my pocket and I had the spare set in a bag in my car, when I stopped to get something to eat I tried locking the door and it started beeping, then tried it again, beeps, not locking. I was like great, the car is giving me problems on a long road trip but then I released I had the extra key in the car and it must have a system that won't allow you to lock your keys in the car/trunk. Same thing happened with my dad in his Acura TLX, a little confusion at first but then you realize the car is saving your rear end from a terrible situation, I am surprised cars don't have systems that shut off lights/power when the battery gets too low, that I have done several times leaving lights on during the day in a rain storm when I was in a hurry to come back to a dead battery. I have never locked my keys in any car in my lifetime, don't think my parents have ever done it either, I always keep my keys either in my pocket or inserted into key start.
Old 01-17-20, 10:22 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, the car knows.

If I lock the car, then leave a key in the trunk, the car beeps a long, constant and loud beep at me when I close the trunk. The trunk doesn't lock and the beeping continues until you open the trunk back up. So you should be fine.
I would prefer it if the trunk would pop back open. We had a Mercedes that wouldn't let you shut the trunk with the car locked and key in the trunk. It would just pop back open every single time you shut it until you removed the key. The first time this happened to me in the GS and the trunk stayed shut my heart sunk a little, but like you said, it stays unlocked and beeps until you open the trunk.
Old 01-17-20, 10:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

At least with the power trunk, I like the beeping, unless the key in the trunk disabled the power trunk feature. Reason is that I hit the "close" button and walk away, and don't always look back or wait to make sure it closes (I should be better about this). So if I push the button then walk away, and it pops back open, I may miss that. The beeping would catch my attention to turn back and see what's up.
Old 01-17-20, 10:27 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
At least with the power trunk, I like the beeping, unless the key in the trunk disabled the power trunk feature. Reason is that I hit the "close" button and walk away, and don't always look back or wait to make sure it closes (I should be better about this). So if I push the button then walk away, and it pops back open, I may miss that. The beeping would catch my attention to turn back and see what's up.
That's a good point. I probably would too. I try to look back as I'm walking away to make sure it closed, but every now and then I don't. Didn't think about that. The Mercedes I was referencing didn't have a power trunk so it didn't cross my mind.
JDR76 (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 10:40 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

My Enform app is sending me notification to my phone and watch if I left a door or all doors unlocked like every 5 mins until I lock them.
Old 01-17-20, 10:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
The first time this happened to me in the GS and the trunk stayed shut my heart sunk a little, but like you said, it stays unlocked and beeps until you open the trunk.
I'm guessing there are situations where the beep is either not heard, or the driver doesn't understand why it's beeping and must leave the car beeping for an extended period of time [like to catch a flight he's already late checking-in for]. This makes me wonder how long the beep actually lasts - minutes, hours, days, weeks? Enough to run the car battery down? Enough to run the key fob's battery down?
Old 01-17-20, 10:53 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm guessing there are situations where the beep is either not heard, or the driver doesn't understand why it's beeping and must leave the car beeping for an extended period of time [like to catch a flight he's already late checking-in for]. This makes me wonder how long the beep actually lasts - minutes, hours, days, weeks? Enough to run the car battery down? Enough to run the key fob's battery down?
Some say his car is still beeping until now.
signdetres (01-17-20)

Quick Reply: Keys in trunk?