GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 GS350 fog lights don't match headlight color

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 09:17 PM
Dondante
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GS350 fog lights don't match headlight color

We just purchased our very first Lexus. I'm blown away. I already want another Lexus. IS maybe? Lol. I feel like I'm in a club. Excited. It's an amazing car.

Can someone point to what I need? I want them to match the headlights. I don't like the yellow tint of the fog lights.

Do I need a new bulb or fog light assy?

Any amazon links would be great. Sorry I'm not lazy. I just have no idea what I'm doing. Lol

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-20, 12:15 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

@Dondante congrats on you first Lexus purchase! The fog lights on the GS are a standard halogen bulb which emits a fairly dull yellow/orange hue, but has good usable light. If you plan to change the bulb itself, you will need an H11 bulb.

I personally opted for halogen H11 yellow bulbs which work amazing for rain/foggy/snowy conditions: http://www.piaa.com/store/p/42-H11-P...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Most folks have gone with an aftermarket LED bulb which has a more white/blue finish: https://www.vleds.com/shop-applicati...11-6-xte2.html

Interestingly, Lexus made an OEM factory LED bulb/assembly for their Lux pkg equipped GS's (which are very rare). These will fit on any GS and match a bit closer to the Headlamps:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS350...-/132815139993
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS350...1/132815148608
The following users liked this post:
Dondante (01-18-20)
Old 01-18-20, 12:31 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Interestingly, Lexus made an OEM factory LED bulb/assembly for their Lux pkg equipped GS's (which are very rare).
What years? I'm guessing prior to 2016, as none of the 2016+ GS models have fog lights.
Old 01-18-20, 05:04 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

When I had my 15, I used these... $20 for the pair on Amazon.

Before and after.

The following users liked this post:
Dondante (01-18-20)
Old 01-18-20, 10:58 AM
Dondante
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinee
When I had my 15, I used these... $20 for the pair on Amazon.

Before and after.

Is this the one?
Old 01-18-20, 11:23 AM
chinee
Racer

Yes those are the ones I installed. But I seem to remember I wasn’t sure the 30w was appropriate for the fogs. Unfortunately I totaled the GS before I had a chance to properly research.... the color was a good match, but I wasn’t sure if 30W was too high...
Old 01-18-20, 03:00 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OUT FOX EM
What years? I'm guessing prior to 2016, as none of the 2016+ GS models have fog lights.
@OUT FOX EM Lexus made OEM LED fogs for the 2014 and 2015 GS's that had the Lux package (see screenshot below from the brochure):

I believe these same OEM LEDs can be retrofitted on any 4GS without Fogs with the correct housing, bezels, wiring and effort!
Old 01-18-20, 03:16 PM
Dondante
Driver School Candidate

Yes. 2014.
Old 01-19-20, 04:23 AM
CelicaJerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Or look at this set of posts on how to swap them out with legit Toyota parts that are plug and play- "4GS - Toyota LED Projector Fog Light Upgrade"
Old 01-23-20, 06:33 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Wow, you guys are going to make me look at my 2013 GS 450H fog lights closer. I have noticed that at night, the light dispersion from the normal headlights seems a little narrow and not as far as I would like. However, I do not know if it is my imagination or not. Question, I have not turned on my fog lights since I thought they are only relevant if it is foggy or a blizzard is happening. I live in Florida, so Blizzard not going to happen, and foggy is a rare occurrence. Do you all use your fog lights for normal driving at night? Why would I want to change my fog lights from the factory ones? I like to make upgrades to cars because they enhance them, not just for the sake of doing them. I figured I have fog lights anyway, they do not look yellow, but I only turned them on last night for the first time in the driveway. Remember, I am nearly a boomer, so fog lights to me mean use in fog. Thanks.
Old 01-23-20, 06:58 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hues10
Wow, you guys are going to make me look at my 2013 GS 450H fog lights closer. I have noticed that at night, the light dispersion from the normal headlights seems a little narrow and not as far as I would like. However, I do not know if it is my imagination or not. Question, I have not turned on my fog lights since I thought they are only relevant if it is foggy or a blizzard is happening. I live in Florida, so Blizzard not going to happen, and foggy is a rare occurrence. Do you all use your fog lights for normal driving at night? Why would I want to change my fog lights from the factory ones? I like to make upgrades to cars because they enhance them, not just for the sake of doing them. I figured I have fog lights anyway, they do not look yellow, but I only turned them on last night for the first time in the driveway. Remember, I am nearly a boomer, so fog lights to me mean use in fog. Thanks.
@hues10 in many instances, its just for looks. However, fog lights definitely help you see whats ahead in snowy/foggy/downpour type weather - they also help other drivers see your vehicle as a secondary source of lights at the front of your car. Keep in mind that Lexus removed US-spec fog lamps citing that the '13-15 HID headlamps and newer '16+ LED headlamps were more than enough to see the road ahead.

Although the standard halogen fog bulb in the GS puts out great usable light with wide illumination angles, it looks dull/drab compared to the rest of the exterior lighting. Newer LEDs draw less power, last a long time (but so do halogens!), are brighter and are now catching up with better overall light distribution.

In your case, it would just be a stylish upgrade...maybe not worth the time/effort if you're good with the stock bulbs and the way it all looks OEM.
Old 01-23-20, 07:14 AM
chinee
Racer

I’m in FL as well and changed the fogs on my 15 for two reasons, (1) aesthetic purposes, so the colors of the fogs and headlights would be closer, and (2) I enjoy working on my cars. Sometimes there’s nothing truly wrong but I will find a small “enhancement“ so I can have an excuse to dig into them.

Old 01-23-20, 07:15 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Thank AJAlex19. Can I ask why did you put yellow fogs in versus white? I do not really know what PIAA stands for, but were those just the led bulbs, or the whole fog light assembly. I may try to put in LED light bulbs to see how they look. I know this thread showed an Amazon product rated at 30W, but with a question if these were 100% compatible. Can anyone confirm if 30W are correct, or any other suggestions for replacement led bulbs? I know Peasodos put in the triple beam headlights, but that is way too much of an upgrade. Has anyone put it LED bulbs in the headlights as well? Thanks again. I am toying with maybe doing the F-sport grille and bottom part as well, but may wait until the CPO period is up.
Old 01-23-20, 08:20 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hues10
Thank AJAlex19. Can I ask why did you put yellow fogs in versus white? I do not really know what PIAA stands for, but were those just the led bulbs, or the whole fog light assembly. I may try to put in LED light bulbs to see how they look. I know this thread showed an Amazon product rated at 30W, but with a question if these were 100% compatible. Can anyone confirm if 30W are correct, or any other suggestions for replacement led bulbs? I know Peasodos put in the triple beam headlights, but that is way too much of an upgrade. Has anyone put it LED bulbs in the headlights as well? Thanks again. I am toying with maybe doing the F-sport grille and bottom part as well, but may wait until the CPO period is up.
@Hues10 For fogs: yellow because it reflects better to my eyes, scattering excellent usable light across the road particularly in inclement weather - but its unique to everyone as each person's eyes, preferences tolerances are different. PIAA is just a brand that produces high quality bulbs - they've been doing so for years now actually. The PIAA bulbs i put in are actually regular halogen bulbs, similar to the current bulb that is already supplied by Lexus. Any H11 bulb (halogen or LED) will fit the fog lights as plug/play.

This night shot was a few years back with an older phone which couldn't really capture the light very well but it gives you the idea of how my car's lights look up front:

Here's how it looks during the day:

Old 01-23-20, 08:57 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Stock H11 bulbs are 55W I think.

Quick Reply: 2014 GS350 fog lights don't match headlight color