GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Please help me figure out what I can afford (struggling)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 10:35 AM
CasualLex
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
I love white, especially since you can then get carbon fiber accents that look amazing! (true for other colors as well). And the 13 and 14 will be pretty similar, but that question is better left for he ES section.
Good points. Sorry I reply to the email notifications and didn't pay attention which forum I was replying to.
Old 01-23-20, 10:57 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CasualLex
Good points. Sorry I reply to the email notifications and didn't pay attention which forum I was replying to.
No worries! I had a 2010 ES, then a 2016 ES. Great cars. But they are the experts over there if you want to dive into the finer details/differences.
Old 01-23-20, 12:49 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

So the 2014 es 350 is drastically better? I have seen a few and they are around 16k.
I am looking at colors now. I like white for some reason, but isn't that too female like? What colors are you guys into. I know it may sound frivolous but I'm sure to some it makes a huge difference. Black is a no go for me due to getting dirty too easy and heat trap. Love blue and silver.
I'm scoping the field again. Thanks for the great suggestions.

I would pick the latest model that fits your budget. I wouldn't be too concerned about what color vs. finding the best condition ES considering your budget IMO.
Old 01-23-20, 12:50 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

So the 2014 es 350 is drastically better? I have seen a few and they are around 16k.
I am looking at colors now. I like white for some reason, but isn't that too female like? What colors are you guys into. I know it may sound frivolous but I'm sure to some it makes a huge difference. Black is a no go for me due to getting dirty too easy and heat trap. Love blue and silver.
I'm scoping the field again. Thanks for the great suggestions.
If you have pushed your budget to the 16K mark that puts you in the GS350 range. That is also 60% higher than your original budget.
Old 01-23-20, 12:52 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 551 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
That 3rd gen posted actually looks pretty sweet, lol.

^This, as someone that came from 2 ES's and got a GS, you definitely sound like the ES is your best choice. In a couple/few years if you want somethign fun to drive and want to spend a bit more, a GS would be perfect. ES is for comfort and GS is about being fun to drive (for me).

And I get it with looks, woman or not, you are looked at a bit differently, in professional and social situations, when you pull up in a Camry as opposed to *any* lexus. ES or GS. It's a thing, no doubt about it. And for most, they have NO idea the difference between an ES or GS. The ES will turn heads and is worth it, imho
I used to drive this to black tie affairs and would get more looks than the people with BMW's...

Old 01-23-20, 01:15 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
I used to drive this to black tie affairs and would get more looks than the people with BMW's...
Duh, that's a classic! I went to my prom in one of those and thought I was hot ****
Old 01-24-20, 04:06 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...LNX=DRMEDFBAIA
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 05:08 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice find on a low priced GS350. According to the carfax, it's been bouncing around the NYC/New Jersey area. It's a double leased car. It means there is no real 'ownership' of the car. If you dont own it, you may not take good care of it or skimp on the services it needs. I would run, not walk, away from it.
Old 01-24-20, 05:20 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
Nice find on a low priced GS350. According to the carfax, it's been bouncing around the NYC/New Jersey area. It's a double leased car. It means there is no real 'ownership' of the car. If you dont own it, you may not take good care of it or skimp on the services it needs. I would run, not walk, away from it.
Agreed. It was leased as a L Certified but per the service history, the car has been serviced intermittently at different shops. I’m usually conscious of where I take my car but that’s just me. Now, that’s partially probably why the price is low. I wouldn’t run from it but would I consider my first choice? No, lol. Especially since it’s been bounced around New York, not that I have anything against NYC, but vehicles are driven aggressive down there.
Old 01-24-20, 07:23 AM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Zsikd
Agreed. It was leased as a L Certified but per the service history, the car has been serviced intermittently at different shops. I’m usually conscious of where I take my car but that’s just me. Now, that’s partially probably why the price is low. I wouldn’t run from it but would I consider my first choice? No, lol. Especially since it’s been bounced around New York, not that I have anything against NYC, but vehicles are driven aggressive down there.
If its got regular service records and also the car appears to be in good condition and you like it go for it. Theyre good reliable cars.
Old 01-24-20, 09:29 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
If its got regular service records and also the car appears to be in good condition and you like it go for it. Theyre good reliable cars.
If the car runs and drives well and overall in good condition I would not hesitate to buy it with or without service records. When I buy my used cars I immediately do oil change, air filter change, would do spark plugs for this car. Then you know the service is done and everything is good to go. I actually don't keep any service logs for my cars, I just set the reminder in the infotainment system and do the service on my own when the car reminds me.
Old 01-24-20, 11:39 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
If the car runs and drives well and overall in good condition I would not hesitate to buy it with or without service records. When I buy my used cars I immediately do oil change, air filter change, would do spark plugs for this car. Then you know the service is done and everything is good to go. I actually don't keep any service logs for my cars, I just set the reminder in the infotainment system and do the service on my own when the car reminds me.
You may not find service records to be important, and that's your personal preference, but an older car with records/documentation is a better buy than without for most folks.
Old 01-24-20, 12:09 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

60k miles, way under budget... a steal!

praetor (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 01:31 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

82 Buick Century was my Dad's first car ever and I sorta got to drive it once or twice. We had to carry bricks around because even in Park, it was like the car was in Neutral. hahahahahaa
NickMayer (01-24-20)