GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Please help me figure out what I can afford (struggling)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 03:52 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please help me figure out what I can afford (struggling)

Hello guys,

I am looking to buy my next car. I am 40yrs old and at this point in my life I want a plush ride that still looks modern (not dated), but I only have 10k CASH to buy a car.
I may be in the wrong forum, but I thought I'd ask you guys if it would be possible to find a GS (not sure which cylinder power), but for 10k cash and in good shape.
I am not into perfomace vehicles, and if I can get better gas mileage I am down for a smaller engine.
I was hoping for a GS 2013 since apparently it is the date they did the facelift for the older models. It looks awesom. Love the looks.

But would I be able to buy one at all. If not what would you buy if you were advising a friend.? I am looking at maybe the ES , but what year so it doesn't looks so boring. Or just a G37 2012 which is not as plush a ride, but looks good too and I can find these for uder 10k.

Sorry if this post irritates people since I am sure it gets asked 100 times.
But I appreciat any strategy for buyin, and what vehicle could actually work for me.
Looking for at most 10yrs old, paying cash, hast to be super reliable and prefer a plush rid and less engine (not anemic) to save on gas.

Thanks again!!!!

Best Jay
Old 01-20-20, 04:03 PM
Greekjim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t think you’ll be able to find a 2013 for $10,000 and under
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-26-20)
Old 01-20-20, 04:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Maybe a 3rd gen GS could be found at that price. 3rd gen is 2006-2011. Good luck!
Im2bz2p345 (01-26-20)
Old 01-20-20, 04:08 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Greekjim
I don’t think you’ll be able to find a 2013 for $10,000 and under
true. What is the minimum I need for a 150k miles in good shape? I can always try and negotiate down with cash. Let's say a private party who sells it for 13k? Dealer ,even maybe?
if not is the ES acceptable and what year would be updated from the older models and within the 10k range? NO love for the g37?
Old 01-20-20, 04:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Something like this work for you?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9653/overview/
NickMayer (01-23-20)
Old 01-20-20, 04:18 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDR76
that car looks amazing. I guess I am trying to buy the updated facelift for the older models so I don't look so outdated in 10 more years, which is what I tend to keep cars for.
But reality is what matters. I was just hoping there was a way to do this for the updated front.
What about another car? I know you guys into lexus may not be fond of Infinitis .. what about another infiniti other than the g37? any insight on that. Sorry if I am a pain, just want to choose wisely this time around. thanks
Old 01-20-20, 05:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There are other cars with much less miles you can get for 10K like a Honda Accord, Civic, Mazda 6, Mustangs, TSX, 3rd Gen TL, Acura RL, G35/M35, 2nd gen IS350, 3rd Gen GS, etc. Why is your budget only 10K, why would you shoot for a newish lux car if you only have 10K to spend, and why would you want to buy a new car to you with well over 100K just to get a certain luxury car? For your daily driver I would not recommend getting a car with well over 100K miles just to fit a 10 budget on a luxury car. If your struggling you shouldn't be buying a 4th Gen GS or any luxury car especially that you will need to have well over 100K miles, older, bad condition to fit your budget. Either wait longer to you have a bigger budget 16-20K for a used luxury car or better yet get a less expensive car with much less miles like a Honda Accord or Mazda 6.
Im2bz2p345 (01-26-20)
Old 01-20-20, 05:48 PM
M3to4GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ As harsh or to the point as that sounds. I wholeheartedly agree. Any car with 100k+ miles will have rattles here and there and maybe an interior that is less cared for. You could get super lucky, but most examples at that high of mileage (to warrant a price of $10k or less) might look a little rough on the inside. Maybe investigate an older camry or accord? IIRC, Mazda 6's are an excellent value...
Old 01-20-20, 06:01 PM
1flossedm3
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3rd Gen GS can be had for 10k
Old 01-20-20, 06:03 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Look guys, these are valid points you make. I could spend more on the car, but not much more. Let's say 14k at the most.
I do want a Lexus or an infiniti.
A lexus GS or Es is supposed be well built and incredibly reliable even at higher miles. I understand if most of you guys are capable of buying 40k cars with low miles or brand new, but there's a lot of people like me who are not very well off, but would love to have a little luxury in their lives to make up for the other sucky things we may be going through, like just becoming single again and needing a decent looking ride to take a girl on a date? I do own my own home, by the way, I just have been super frugal on the cars, but now I feel I need something classy at my age that rides smooth, looks great and has prestige and reliability. You can have your own way of looking at things, but I guess I am going through a mid life crisis to be honest. Sorry for the honesty on a car forum, but all I am asking is for some help fiinding a car that would make me happy and for the amount of money I can spend, it will have to have high mileage. I don't care for a toyota or a honda. I might have to foget the GS and maybe look for an ES or the G37 which is still a cool car but I am older now and thought a GS or ES would be a better fit for me.
If you guys want to ask me questions about whatever, I am happy to explain, but if you want to help me focus on what I could buy or lead me in the direction of a forum with people who may be less well off like me and still appreciate luxury cars like a Lexus, please, I am all ears and will move on.
Thanks for the replies. I am all ears, or eyes for suggestions on cars that may fit the bill.
Best Jay
Old 01-20-20, 06:14 PM
Astrokat
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is financing the car out of the question? You could use that money as a down payment, get something relatively newer and have reasonable monthly payments. I am not sure of your financial situation, but keep in mind the GS takes premium gas. For that reason the ES might be more appealing.
Old 01-20-20, 06:18 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Astrokat
Is financing the car out of the question? You could use that money as a down payment, get something relatively newer and have reasonable monthly payments. I am not sure of your financial situation, but keep in mind the GS takes premium gas. For that reason the ES might be more appealing.
I would prefer not to have a payment whatsoever. I have saved the cash and would like to do with that.
Which ES is good? did they get the new interior in 2013? that might do the trick too. I am also interested in infiniti cars if there is one you think could give me more bang for the buck other than the g37.

Thanks
Old 01-20-20, 06:32 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

found this one ES 350 2013 https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=261107718

Is this an acceptable ride?
Old 01-20-20, 06:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

When you get through the selection of Lexus vehicles we can bring in another team of experts and tackle Infiniti next, and then move to either BMW or Mercedes-Benz with Range Rover after that.
Old 01-20-20, 06:48 PM
CasualLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
When you get through the selection of Lexus vehicles we can bring in another team of experts and tackle Infiniti next, and then move to either BMW or Mercedes-Benz with Range Rover after that.
I thing I narrow it down to lexus or infiniti for reliability. I am not rich like you maybe to consider the high cost of maintenance of a BMW or Mercedez. Although I like Audis. Still prefer reliable.
I like your sense of humor, if well intended though.. hard to tell from a forum and being new and probably already getting on your nerves for dreaming a little bit without a big wallet? All in good fun i hope.

Quick Reply: Please help me figure out what I can afford (struggling)