GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Very Slow tire leak and unexpected cross threaded nut/stud from tire shop.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 01:40 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default Very Slow tire leak and unexpected cross threaded nut/stud from tire shop.

I took my wheel off put Windex around the bead, around the valve stem, core, all over the tread and could not find anything bubbling. Also no nails or visible damage to the tire.
This all started after I added air in my tire a month ago. The leak was so slow I would loose about a psi every few days. Then I would notice a 5 psi difference from the other tires.

The only possibility I can think of for this very slow leak is the valve stem core, I guess so slow you won't see it bubble testing with the Windex right away.

Shout out to @ItzFilyO for the nice video on replacing the valve stem core. I swapped the core, but not sure how tight, so I ordered the tool that clicks at the correct torque.

After I took the wheel off I found out the tire shop that installed my 5mm spacers with extended studs last April, cross threaded one of the studs, so the first 3 threads on the one stud are chewed off from removing it.
I ordered this m12 x 1.5 die to clean/fix whats left of the the tread:
Amazon Amazon

I'll probably knock out and replace that stud later this year when the weather gets better. I also ordered a new lug nut on amazon since the cross threaded one is a bit messed up inside.
The following 3 users liked this post by peasodos:
DaveGS4 (01-21-20), drgrant (01-22-20), ItzFilyO (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 02:20 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yeah the new valve core fixed my slow leak on that car too. Much better than getting a screw on a tire like my current GS.
The following users liked this post:
peasodos (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 02:27 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Yeah the new valve core fixed my slow leak on that car too. Much better than getting a screw on a tire like my current GS.
Did you plug your tire? Slime has a kit and it uses rubber cement. Or are you taking it to a tire shop to have them patch plug it. I've read done properly a plug will last the rest of the life of the tire, but tire companies recommend the patch plug. Even though it's technically better I think it's meant to give the tire shop more business.
Old 01-21-20, 02:53 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
Did you plug your tire? Slime has a kit and it uses rubber cement. Or are you taking it to a tire shop to have them patch plug it. I've read done properly a plug will last the rest of the life of the tire, but tire companies recommend the patch plug. Even though it's technically better I think it's meant to give the tire shop more business.
I took it to a tire shop and they plugged it. They removed the tire and bent my pinch weld from their floor jack.
Old 01-21-20, 02:58 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I took it to a tire shop and they plugged it. They removed the tire and bent my pinch weld from their floor jack.
So they didn't patch the tire from the inside? You can probably bend the pinch weld back with pliers or vice grips. I bent mine once then I got the hockey puck with the slot in it for the floor jack.

Toyota has the stupidest flimsiest jack points I have ever encountered, I never had this problem with my Honda back in the day. I never used hockey pucks just floor jack to jack point before.
infojunky (01-22-20)
Old 01-21-20, 03:09 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

@peasodos its funny you mentioned this because this was happening to me between last summer and up until a few weeks ago. I would lose a few lbs of air but my car sits for days at a time between so I just attributed it to lack of use. However, I didn't use the car for a week during Christmas and one tire was about 12PSI lower than the rest.

Took it to a local tire shop and it turned out to be a bead seal leak (no nails in tire, no damage or punctures to the tire). They took it off, "cleaned" and buffed the rim, applied some tire glue and its been good to go since then. No leaks even after days in-between use.
Old 01-21-20, 03:12 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Discount Tire patches tires free-of-charge, regardless whether you are a customer, or not. The tire will be removed from the rim and properly patched from the inside, and then re-balanced and remounted.
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Discount Tire (01-22-20), praetor (01-22-20)
Old 01-21-20, 03:23 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@peasodos its funny you mentioned this because this was happening to me between last summer and up until a few weeks ago. I would lose a few lbs of air but my car sits for days at a time between so I just attributed it to lack of use. However, I didn't use the car for a week during Christmas and one tire was about 12PSI lower than the rest.

Took it to a local tire shop and it turned out to be a bead seal leak (no nails in tire, no damage or punctures to the tire). They took it off, "cleaned" and buffed the rim, applied some tire glue and its been good to go since then. No leaks even after days in-between use.
Yeah your leak was much worst than mine. Mine is like a 1 psi drop after a couple days. I also drove the car a lot too the last couple weeks. Windex or soapy water is a good way to find leaks in the bead or the tread. If there is nothing to be found then most likely the valve stem core is the culprit.
Old 01-21-20, 03:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

This all started after I added air in my tire a month ago.
I'm guessing you think you somehow damaged the valve stem core when you last added air?
Old 01-21-20, 03:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm guessing you think you somehow damaged the valve stem core when you last added air?
Possibly or probably just loosens over time. Maybe the angle I put my tire pressure gauge into the valve stem was enough to damage it. If I just loosened it and re-torque, it might be fine, but they are so cheap to just replace. I added air to all 4 wheels the same way like I've always done. My die tool to fix my stud threads comes in tomorrow. Then I can put the wheel back on the car and report back in several days. It's good to know at least one other member had the same exact issue.
Old 01-21-20, 04:07 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

A basic plug can cause the tire to seperate. IF the tire hole is so big it needs a patch plug that is the best option.
Old 01-21-20, 04:11 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
A basic plug can cause the tire to seperate. IF the tire hole is so big it needs a patch plug that is the best option.
Just reaming the hole for the plug makes it bigger. Patch plug they usually drill out a smaller hole.
Old 01-21-20, 04:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Discount Tire Proper Tire Repair
Discount Tire (01-22-20)
Old 01-21-20, 05:52 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is plugged and patched from the inside.
Old 01-21-20, 05:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is plugged and patched from the inside.
Huh, your wife told me how your tire was patched!

Quick Reply: Very Slow tire leak and unexpected cross threaded nut/stud from tire shop.