GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

False "Full Tank" when pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 09:14 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
I don't think it's a problem with your car. I experience this with A LOT of pumps at my favorite gas station. So much that I've resorted to only using certain pumps that I know will work on my car.

There is a solution, however. Before you put the male filler into your gas receptacle, use two fingers on your free hand to pull back on the big O-sleeve that goes around the male filler. You know you are doing this right when you can actually "hear" the gasoline filling through the tank. This method tricks the pump into thinking that everything is OK, and will continue to fill your tank until you are really full. I don't really know how to explain this in more detail. Another way is that you can use a pen instead of your fingers to hold the O-sleeve back. Trust me, your fingers will get tired!

I worked at a gas station during my teens and this is what we did during premature pump stops. Still works today. Gas station pumping machines haven't changed that much over the last few decades, I suppose.
Are you talking about the things that prevent fumes escaping? Pumps in Arizona don't have these anymore that I've seen. Costco doesn't have them, just a nozzle.
Old 01-22-20, 10:20 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

This happens on my GS and my ES330, but not consistently..... one of the stations I use, the pumps are pretty fierce. 99% of the time it's resolved by simply starting the fill with the clicker one step down, if available... it's pretty strange and erratic. Most stations don't cause this problem, though.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
bhuebs (01-23-20)
Old 01-22-20, 10:56 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,050 Likes on 664 Posts

The other day I saw a guy in a Ferrari California next to me having the same problem at Costco. The dude was there for a while trying to fill up his tank and that made me feel a lot better.
bhuebs (01-23-20)
Old 01-23-20, 07:52 AM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
I don't think it's a problem with your car. I experience this with A LOT of pumps at my favorite gas station. So much that I've resorted to only using certain pumps that I know will work on my car.

There is a solution, however. Before you put the male filler into your gas receptacle, use two fingers on your free hand to pull back on the big O-sleeve that goes around the male filler. You know you are doing this right when you can actually "hear" the gasoline filling through the tank. This method tricks the pump into thinking that everything is OK, and will continue to fill your tank until you are really full. I don't really know how to explain this in more detail. Another way is that you can use a pen instead of your fingers to hold the O-sleeve back. Trust me, your fingers will get tired!

I worked at a gas station during my teens and this is what we did during premature pump stops. Still works today. Gas station pumping machines haven't changed that much over the last few decades, I suppose.
I've thought about trying that, but now I certainly will! It sounds like this is a California problem with our strict emission rules. As aggravating as it is, its reassuring to hear I'm not the only one having the issue.
Old 01-27-20, 12:26 PM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

I used the pen trick described by azipod and it worked!
swfla (01-28-20)
Old 01-27-20, 01:31 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuebs
I used the pen trick described by azipod and it worked!
That's great. Your post reminded me to put a new plastic pen in my car. haha
The following 2 users liked this post by azipod:
bhuebs (01-27-20), swfla (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 08:49 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Pull dis part back right?

The old skool ones don't have that.

Old 01-28-20, 09:22 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Uncircumcised vs circumcised. Men know what to do. LOL
ItzFilyO (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 09:39 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Pull dis part back right?

The old skool ones don't have that.
That's it. You pull it back. I don't think I've seen the old school ones before --- most aren't like that.
Just keep a plastic pen in your door side pocket. Jam that into the receptable and the sleeve.
Use a softer cheap plastic pen so it doesn't damage your paint.
Old 01-28-20, 10:08 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Uncircumcised vs circumcised. Men know what to do. LOL
Fill ‘er up?
praetor (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I don't know how many states use that Cali style fuel pump handle that must be compressed before fuel can flow, but it's no wonder people have trouble when using it.

Here is Texas (and most states I believe) we use a 'normal' fuel pump handle with the spring visible and splash guard. You can pull the handle's tube out as far as you wish while still pumping gas.

Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:34 AM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I don't know how many states use that Cali style fuel pump handle that must be compressed before fuel can flow, but it's no wonder people have trouble when using it.

Here is Texas (and most states I believe) we use a 'normal' fuel pump handle with the spring visible and splash guard. You can pull the handle's tube out as far as you wish while still pumping gas.

Its the worst. With our Jeep, sometimes it won't even latch up because they can be hard to even push in. Even when its in, if you breathe on it wrong the damn thing pops out.
Old 01-28-20, 10:35 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Everything is compressed here in Cali, especially my wallet.
NickMayer (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 10:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Everything is compressed here in Cali, especially my wallet.
Thousands of Californians are coming to Texas...we just hope they don't come here and try to change us to what they left.
Old 01-28-20, 10:40 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bhuebs
Its the worst. With our Jeep, sometimes it won't even latch up because they can be hard to even push in. Even when its in, if you breathe on it wrong the damn thing pops out.
I bet filling a portable gas can is difficult with that Cali fuel pump handle.
Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20)

Quick Reply: False "Full Tank" when pumping gas