GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 02:33 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

the truestart battery that toyota sell is made by interstate, i just went to costco to buy the interstate battery. costco have 3 years warranty.
Old 01-25-20, 03:06 PM
ch0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did my 45k maintenance service checkup on the 15th and didn’t realize they checked my battery. The technician just left this in my cup holder, and I thought it was just a regular receipt.

Should I be worried about my State of Charge %? Original battery on my 2015.

Old 01-25-20, 04:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by ch0n
Just did my 45k maintenance service checkup on the 15th and didn’t realize they checked my battery. The technician just left this in my cup holder, and I thought it was just a regular receipt.

Should I be worried about my State of Charge %? Original battery on my 2015.
No, your battery load tested about what one would expect for its age. You should be good for at least another year baring something unexpected like a shorted cell.

It is recommended that once a battery is two years old it should be load tested once a year to determine the battery's health, so about a year from now you should have it load tested again.
The following users liked this post:
ch0n (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 04:43 PM
ch0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
No, your battery load tested about what one would expect for its age. You should be good for at least another year baring something unexpected like a shorted cell.

It is recommended that once a battery is two years old it should be load tested once a year to determine the battery's health, so about a year from now you should have it load tested again.
Thanks bclexus! ...appreciate the info.
Old 01-25-20, 11:02 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

If you have a Lexus GS 350 the #00544-MF240-575 battery is the Lexus recommended replacement.

Battery: Lexus (Interstate) 00544-MF240-575 (575CCA 130RC) 84 Month

0 to 24 Months - Free Exchange • 25 to 48 Months - Proration is 50% MSRP • 49 to 84 Months - Proration is 25% of MSRP

Yeah, this is what the dealer had. I picked one up today and installed it after cleaning up all the leaked acid from my old battery. I paid pretty much list price in your picture.

One tip if you're going to replace your battery is to remove the top connection of your hood strut and lay it down as it really gets in the way when you want to install/remove the battery. Make sure you get something to prop the hood up as the other strut was not strong enough to hold the hood.

One other item, anyone ever dealt with the little pre-filter for the cabin air intake that is sitting just above the battery in the engine bay? As I was cleaning things up I was brushing that filter and white powded was falling out and I thought it had captured some dust but soon dawned on me that it was coming from inside the filter and perhaps it's baking soda? My pre filter is not attached on the bottom and that powder/baking soda is falling out of the bottom. Is this something that can be changed? Is there a part number for it? Not sure it needs to be changed, just curious.
Old 01-25-20, 11:24 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Yeah, this is what the dealer had. I picked one up today and installed it after cleaning up all the leaked acid from my old battery. I paid pretty much list price in your picture.

One tip if you're going to replace your battery is to remove the top connection of your hood strut and lay it down as it really gets in the way when you want to install/remove the battery. Make sure you get something to prop the hood up as the other strut was not strong enough to hold the hood.

One other item, anyone ever dealt with the little pre-filter for the cabin air intake that is sitting just above the battery in the engine bay? As I was cleaning things up I was brushing that filter and white powded was falling out and I thought it had captured some dust but soon dawned on me that it was coming from inside the filter and perhaps it's baking soda? My pre filter is not attached on the bottom and that powder/baking soda is falling out of the bottom. Is this something that can be changed? Is there a part number for it? Not sure it needs to be changed, just curious.
Are you talking about this mesh on the cowl?
That is actually part of the cowl plastic cover and ment to block larger debris, not something you change, just clean up.

Here is the back side of it:

Old 01-26-20, 12:49 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Are you talking about this mesh on the cowl?
That is actually part of the cowl plastic cover and ment to block larger debris, not something you change, just clean up.

Here is the back side of it:

No, on the firewall, above the battery, under that cowl in your picture. The filter is some kind of fabric. What year is that from? I'm not sure my cowl below the wipers looks like yours. I'll have to take a look in the morning.
Old 01-26-20, 01:17 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

No, on the firewall, above the battery, under that cowl in your picture. The filter is some kind of fabric. What year is that from? I'm not sure my cowl below the wipers looks like yours. I'll have to take a look in the morning.
I got that pic of the cowl from eBay, as far as I know there is no filter in that location, just insulation, maybe that's what your seeing. Only filter should be the cabin air filter behind the glove box and the intake filter.
Old 01-26-20, 01:34 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I got that pic of the cowl from eBay, as far as I know there is no filter in that location, just insulation, maybe that's what your seeing. Only filter should be the cabin air filter behind the glove box and the intake filter.
Look at this picture http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....-gs-350-fd.jpg
On the firewall above the battery below where the weather seal bumps up is where I'm talking about. It's a thin black fabric and it seems to be glued to the bulkhead but the bottom is loose and there appears to be a layer of white powder behind it.
Old 01-26-20, 05:54 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The outside temperature today was in the lows 50s, My 2017 RX with 40,500 would not turn over, so I called Lexus Roadside. After 1 hr and 20 minutes, AAA showed up and gave me a jump but also told me that the battery had 11 percent longevity. My! That is way too few miles for a battery to die. My wife and I have owned at least 20 vehicles. Of which, 4 of them have been Lexuses. Two are still in use. This is the first time the battery has failed so early in any of my cars.
Old 01-26-20, 06:11 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhaka
The outside temperature today was in the lows 50s, My 2017 RX with 40,500 would not turn over, so I called Lexus Roadside. After 1 hr and 20 minutes, AAA showed up and gave me a jump but also told me that the battery had 11 percent longevity. My! That is way too few miles for a battery to die. My wife and I have owned at least 20 vehicles. Of which, 4 of them have been Lexuses. Two are still in use. This is the first time the battery has failed so early in any of my cars.
Have you ever bought a box of lamps (light bulbs) and had to replace one of them not long after installing it? That's kinda what batteries are like. On average they last beyond their warranty, however some last much longer and some don't last very long at all. Unfortunately you were dealt one that didn't last very long at all. Don't be too shocked - that is why you were given an 84 month warranty on your battery!
Old 01-26-20, 06:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Battery life is in years and not miles. I agree that yours died prematurely. It's almost always a surprise and inconvenient. There's a good chance the tow driver had a money incentive to suggest a new battery. I believe the best way to check a battery is to give it a full charge overnight and then test it. If you've already replaced it, then you're good for another 5 years or so. The wait time of 1 hour 20 minutes isn't uncommon no matter who you have coverage with. That's why I shudder when someone says they are not going to repair of replace something that they know to be near failure with the reasoning of "I've got roadside coverage". I keep jumper cables in my trunk that I've used for decades and getting a jump start from someone is usually much quicker than waiting for a tow.
Old 01-27-20, 01:46 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Look at this picture http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....-gs-350-fd.jpg
On the firewall above the battery below where the weather seal bumps up is where I'm talking about. It's a thin black fabric and it seems to be glued to the bulkhead but the bottom is loose and there appears to be a layer of white powder behind it.
If there is anything there it's not a filter you change, probably like the cowl picture I sent before, a mesh or sound insulation.
Old 01-27-20, 03:59 AM
pvsmith
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Last year I bought this battery for my 2011 GS350 to replace the original battery.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cca/sli24agmdp

Here are the specs:

Type: Standard
  • 60 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Pure lead technology delivers the performance of 2 batteries in 1: starting and deep cycle
  • 28X more vibration resistant than conventional batteries
  • 100% spill-proof and maintenance free AGM technology
  • 2011 Lexus GS350 V6 3.5L 585CCA Car and Truck battery
This is US-made with pure lead. Sure, at $309 it isn't cheap, but plenty of folks online said they can get 10 years of use out of it.
Old 01-27-20, 05:32 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Battery life is in years and not miles. I agree that yours died prematurely. It's almost always a surprise and inconvenient. There's a good chance the tow driver had a money incentive to suggest a new battery. I believe the best way to check a battery is to give it a full charge overnight and then test it. If you've already replaced it, then you're good for another 5 years or so. The wait time of 1 hour 20 minutes isn't uncommon no matter who you have coverage with. That's why I shudder when someone says they are not going to repair of replace something that they know to be near failure with the reasoning of "I've got roadside coverage". I keep jumper cables in my trunk that I've used for decades and getting a jump start from someone is usually much quicker than waiting for a tow.
Have you ever bought a box of lamps (light bulbs) and had to replace one of them not long after installing it? That's kinda what batteries are like. On average they last beyond their warranty, however some last much longer and some don't last very long at all. Unfortunately you were dealt one that didn't last very long at all. Don't be too shocked - that is why you were given an 84 month warranty on your battery!
I went to the dealer today, and my battery was replaced. Let us see how long this one lasts.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement