GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 05:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhaka
I went to the dealer today, and my battery was replaced. Let us see how long this one lasts.
I presume you received a prorated charge based on warranty?
Old 01-27-20, 06:10 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Crazy coincidence. My car acted like a dead battery today. It turned out the negative terminal had loosened up.
Old 01-29-20, 08:01 AM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pvsmith
Last year I bought this battery for my 2011 GS350 to replace the original battery.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cca/sli24agmdp

Here are the specs:

Type: Standard
  • 60 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Pure lead technology delivers the performance of 2 batteries in 1: starting and deep cycle
  • 28X more vibration resistant than conventional batteries
  • 100% spill-proof and maintenance free AGM technology
  • 2011 Lexus GS350 V6 3.5L 585CCA Car and Truck battery
This is US-made with pure lead. Sure, at $309 it isn't cheap, but plenty of folks online said they can get 10 years of use out of it.
$309!! omg...they replace it with the panasonic CAOS battery here (Japan made) for $200.
Old 01-29-20, 09:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pvsmith
Last year I bought this battery for my 2011 GS350 to replace the original battery.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...cca/sli24agmdp

Here are the specs:

Type: Standard
  • 60 Month Free Replacement Warranty
  • Pure lead technology delivers the performance of 2 batteries in 1: starting and deep cycle
  • 28X more vibration resistant than conventional batteries
  • 100% spill-proof and maintenance free AGM technology
  • 2011 Lexus GS350 V6 3.5L 585CCA Car and Truck battery
This is US-made with pure lead. Sure, at $309 it isn't cheap, but plenty of folks online said they can get 10 years of use out of it.
This MAY be a good battery. But, I don't know if it's advertising statements are true. Hard to disprove. As far as lasting 10 years, I'd need to know that this battery has been in production for at least ten years for that to be true. In a previous post I recommended a standard flooded battery. marine grade combination starting/deep cycle battery. In my personal experience of hard boating use (draining the battery 100 times a year with an electric trolling motor) and still starting the main engine, lasting 4 years average. This hard use in the super heat of FL (hot climates reduce battery life faster than cold climates according to research).
Old 01-29-20, 10:53 AM
jegyed
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Bosch AGM battery 4 year replacement warranty. Which I had to do, Pep Boys gave me one that had been on the shelf for to long. They gave me a new one no questions asked.
I read in this forum the original Lexus made in Japan batteries are not available in the USA. Mine lasted 8 years. Now you guys are saying that info was wrong. If you can get the original for a reasonable price that is the way to go
Old 01-29-20, 11:17 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^I had a Bosch AGM Battery in my ISF. I saw my old car last month at a Lexus "F" meet last month. It still has the Bosch AGM battery - Six years old and still going strong. And that's in the brutal summers in Southern Arizona, a climate that is hard on batteries. My OEM Lexus battery lasted 4 years.

The NAPA AGM battery (Bosch didn't have an AGM in the correct size) in my truck, also six years old is still in reliable service.

Whenever I buy a battery, I check the date. If, IMO, it's too old I reject it.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
imjohnphan (01-29-20)
Old 01-29-20, 07:00 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Great reminder to check the date of manufacture!!
Old 01-30-20, 04:29 PM
Jtweathers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont use aftermarket battery

Originally Posted by GsLex02
2014 GS350 AWD. You guys use aftermarket batteries, or stick with Lexus? Time to replace mine
dont do it. Get a lexus battery. I changed mine everything matched Amps And was recommended by Autozone. Clock ran fast 20 mins everyday. Swapped clock it ran slow 20 mins. Clock worked perfect until I put in the aftermarket battery. I promised to sell the car over a clock if lexus did not make it right. “I Sold the 2014 Gs350 last week”.this is a true story...
Old 12-21-22, 09:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by M3to4GS
100%. Money is money and its as simple as that. I want to keep more of it.
If you are that damn cheap then you should consider dropping your internet service, sell your smart phone and use pubic transportation or buy a bicycle...
Old 12-21-22, 09:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtweathers
dont do it. Get a lexus battery. I changed mine everything matched Amps And was recommended by Autozone. Clock ran fast 20 mins everyday. Swapped clock it ran slow 20 mins. Clock worked perfect until I put in the aftermarket battery. I promised to sell the car over a clock if lexus did not make it right. “I Sold the 2014 Gs350 last week”.this is a true story...
The car battery has nothing to do with the Lexus clock not keeping time. There is a gear and a magnet inside the clock that are suppose to be glued together, but over time they separate. Clock can be fixed by super gluing those parts back together. There are multiple threads on this. This will eventually happen to every 2013-2015 clock, there are multiple threads on this. I fixed my original clock.

I went aftermarket since the original 450h battery from the dealership is $450, not only that I up-sized the battery, and modified the battery tray to fit. It doesn't matter what 12v battery you install as long as it has at minimum the same CCA and fit's the battery tray.
Old 12-21-22, 09:54 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jtweathers
Oh man, that's funny! I guess Lexus wasn't too threatened by your promise to sell the out of warranty car! So, you sold the car and the new owner will have a clock that doesn't work? Shame! I bet you didn't change the oil or do a drain 'n fill for the transmission either before you sold it. Probably had less than half a tank of gas too...
Old 12-21-22, 10:12 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

Haven't read thru all this thread but, is anyone here using a memory saver when they change their GS battery? Mine is 5 years old and lives 99% of its life on a Battery Tender. I figure I'll replace it next spring and do it myself just because the dealers are too careless with my cars.
Old 12-21-22, 11:21 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Haven't read thru all this thread but, is anyone here using a memory saver when they change their GS battery? Mine is 5 years old and lives 99% of its life on a Battery Tender. I figure I'll replace it next spring and do it myself just because the dealers are too careless with my cars.
I did for my battery swap but I also had disconnected the battery for a steering wheel swap and could not use a memory saver. I had no issues for both procedures. Either way, make sure to let the car sit off for at least 10 minutes before disconnecting the battery and the same before turning on the ignition switch once the battery is reconnected.

Then, in the ignition ON position, give it a few minutes to boot up after that before starting the engine. I am willing to bet that most issues related to battery changes are as a result of disconnecting too quickly or starting up and driving without letting everything reset after a battery change.
Old 12-22-22, 07:47 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

My 2013 Panasonic battery gave up this week. I am not certain if it was the original battery or replaced sometime prior to my purchase in 2017.

Typical failure: first really cold morning after weeks of sitting idle: no crank, only clicks. I put my battery charger on it overnight, and it complained that the battery was bad. I disconnected and reconnected it, and it eventually said it was charged. I ran an errand, and it started with a notably slower crank. All symptoms of a battery in need of replacing.

I bought the rebranded Interstate battery from the dealer.
00544-MF240-575 for $172 net of core for the old battery.
Comes w 84-month warranty.

I turned the car on without starting it and watched the system do its preloading w the progress bar, waited until everything was on, and then started.
All is well.
Old 12-23-22, 10:51 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BMGS
I did for my battery swap but I also had disconnected the battery for a steering wheel swap and could not use a memory saver. I had no issues for both procedures. Either way, make sure to let the car sit off for at least 10 minutes before disconnecting the battery and the same before turning on the ignition switch once the battery is reconnected.

Then, in the ignition ON position, give it a few minutes to boot up after that before starting the engine. I am willing to bet that most issues related to battery changes are as a result of disconnecting too quickly or starting up and driving without letting everything reset after a battery change.
I've never used a memory saver when changing the battery or working on something where I need the battery disconnected.

I do recall that on the first time trying to start the car after installing the battery that mine will crank for a second or two and then stop. When I first encountered this I thought something was broken but with a second push of the button it started up. This has happened every time. I'm not sure why it does it but it scared me a couple of times.