GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 02:12 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Finding someone who will tell you the exact color of your wheels is kind of like finding bigfoot. For some reason companies do not want to give people that information, I have contacted Lexus, OZ, the manufactures of the wheels to get the color/paint for the wheels and none have given me it, even wheel manufactures claim they don't know the color of their wheels and can't get that information which is BS. I would love to have the matching color that Lexus uses for their wheels.

From those pics it does not look like that color is close to matching, way too light plus the touchup was applied rough, it needs to be smooth or else it will stand out even if it is a good match. Having a raised blob is better then a rough finish. I would tape off the good areas and sand that down smooth with some more aggressive sand paper. See if a shop can put that paint you bought in a spray can and then try it on a spare piece of metal and see how close it is, if it is not close I would not use it.

I tried having a paint shop scan my wheel to match the paint but the spokes are not large enough/don't give enough surface area for the scanner to work. I went through a color chart and tried to match it as best I could by holding them up to the wheel. I have them mix a urethane spray, it was not perfect but close enough, you can't really tell where I tried my quick curb rash fix color wise unless you look/get close. You'll also want to spray a 2K clear over it too.
Hi. I did get a successful scan of the rim, but the color came out completely wrong. It is the darkest of the examples in my first post.
The coating according to the internet is a 3 layer chrome finish that is electrially deposited over a black base. It is so thin that the black base can be seen thru the coating.
Old 01-24-20, 02:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,178 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by arosnes
Thanks for the info BC.

Today I picked up a 40$ airbrush. Maybe that will make it possible to try out a really thin layer of paint over the black basecoat.
Glad to help. You may want to see if you can learn what the wheel repair experts do when they're faced with repairing a Super Chrome Lexus wheel that needs refinishing painting after the repair. I'm sure they have some application and paint tricks. Call your local Lexus dealership and ask the used car sales manager who they use to repair wheels. It may be the same people they use for dent repair, interior work and detailing.
Old 01-25-20, 08:44 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Found a small can of quick setting 2 component clear.

Old 01-25-20, 12:48 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I need to find a paint thinner that works with the paint in order to use it in the paintbrush.
So I tried mixing in some acetone in a sample and while at it, I brushed a very thin layer with a brush.
This seem to confirm that the paint color is spot on if applied correctly:

Old 01-28-20, 09:23 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

The pictures show the result after airbrushing a thin coat of paint, and covering with clear from a touch-up stick.
The result is kind of ... OK, better than the black spots at least, but it ... sucks...

Old 01-28-20, 10:46 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

That looks terrible! It would be totally unacceptable if that was the final repair results given to a customer.

As I suggested before - You may want to see if you can learn what the wheel repair experts do when they're faced with repairing a Super Chrome Lexus wheel that needs refinishing painting after the repair. I'm sure they have some application and paint tricks. Call your local Lexus dealership and ask the used car sales manager who they use to repair wheels. It may be the same people they use for dent repair, interior work and detailing.
Old 01-28-20, 10:50 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
That looks terrible! It would be totally unacceptable if that was the final repair results given to a customer.

As I suggested before - You may want to see if you can learn what the wheel repair experts do when they're faced with repairing a Super Chrome Lexus wheel that needs refinishing painting after the repair. I'm sure they have some application and paint tricks. Call your local Lexus dealership and ask the used car sales manager who they use to repair wheels. It may be the same people they use for dent repair, interior work and detailing.
After all that effort he might have made it look worse than just the chip.
Old 01-28-20, 11:07 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
After all that effort he might have made it look worse than just the chip.
That's true!
Old 01-28-20, 12:55 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

That's true!
Lets remind all how it looked

Old 01-28-20, 12:57 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

But I agree, the quickest fix is probably to grind down to bare metal, because anything is better than the black basecoat.

Old 01-28-20, 01:05 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

The next step will be to experiment with real chrome paint.
This link is really inspiring:
https://superchrome.ca/DIY-superchrome.php
Old 01-28-20, 01:15 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

This can of medium silver metallic (a standard pallette color from SprayMax) seem to be just as good a color match as the paint from amazon.

Old 01-28-20, 01:18 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I used the medium silver metallic last winter to repaint two out of four rims for my wife's Lancia, and the resul was so good that you
could mix repainted and original wheels and mistake the repainted ones for the originals.

Old 01-28-20, 01:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you not wanting to talk with a wheel repair expert to see what they do after repairing a Super Chrome Lexus wheel?
Old 01-30-20, 01:37 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Why are you not wanting to talk with a wheel repair expert to see what they do after repairing a Super Chrome Lexus wheel?
OK, I asked a wheel repair expert. There is nobody in Norway that can do this. Lexus Oslo had tried some guy at some point but had complaints about peeling and recommended repainting.

Quick Reply: Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.