GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 10:40 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I doubt that will match at all, end up like the last vinyl repair attempt, not to mention all the dirt that will eventually build on the edge of the vinyl that will highlight your fix later on, probably worst than the original damage.

With all the money you blew of trying to fix this you could have bought a good used rim, swapped it, and sold the original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS350-GS450H-2013-15-18-X8-HYPER-SILVER-OEM-FACTORY-WHEEL-4261A30271-74269/293349843485?hash=item444d03621d:gFEAAOSwCSpd3VzT

Or take the rim to a professional wheel repair shop or pro paint shop and get it fixed/touched up there.
As I said, I live in a kingdom far far away. "Shipping: Does not ship to Norway"
Old 02-24-20, 10:44 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by peasodos
Your first repair was the best attempt, should have stopped after that.
Mid April we can do a vote, and the winner fix will be sealed down with 2K clearcoat and the wheels will go on the car again for summer.
Old 02-24-20, 11:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

eBay UK and other euro eBay sites that ship to you have the rims in good condition less that what they sell for in the USA.
Old 02-25-20, 12:29 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

This guy is going to do what he wants with his wheels and never refinish them properly. He keeps asking for opinions and disregards everyones advice.
Old 02-25-20, 10:29 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by charley95
This guy is going to do what he wants with his wheels and never refinish them properly. He keeps asking for opinions and disregards everyones advice.
Sharing experiment, yes. Asking for opinions, not.
My alternatives other than finding a patch-up are
a) have a paintshop paint them/powder coat all 4 rims and loose the chrome effect.
b) Import used ones in better condition from ebay (shipping rates),
c) Import resurfaced one or two from ebay (shipping rates) and hope they actually match.
d) buy new rims from Lexus at approx $600 each if still available.
e) ship the rims to US or Germany to redo the superchrome process.

I will eventually discuss alternative d) with my insurance.
Old 02-25-20, 11:09 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I am learning more and more about the different finishes. SuperChrome vs Hyper Silver for example.

http://www.originalwheels.com/blog/2...r-wheel-paint/

Old 02-26-20, 10:20 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by arosnes
Sharing experiment, yes. Asking for opinions, not.

Okay......
Old 04-02-20, 03:27 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
This thread is the train wreck that just keeps on giving.

Vinyl wrap? lol WTF

Just plasti-dip at this point and call it a day.
I googled plasti-dip, an the result was not convincing...

Old 04-02-20, 03:46 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I had my stock silver 18" rims plastidipped Black for 1.5 years If you spray enough layers and make the last couple heavy it creates a smooth finish. People thought my rims were painted. The drawback is plastidip is a rubber based product so dirt sticks to it easier, but I would clean and put tire shine or wax on them every once in a while. The plastidip when layered this was strong, lasted two winters and all sorts of road condition and still looked good. Just extra cleaning involved. It's a good temporary solution until you get the rims you want.

I eventually got the rims I wanted and powered coated them gloss black.

Old 04-29-20, 12:37 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

This was my old setup oem rims plastidipped Black. This is what plastidip looks like done right.

Old 05-04-20, 08:40 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes thats a good example of a proper plasti-dip job
Old 04-30-21, 05:28 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Agggghhhhh! I took my 2013 GSH to Tennessee from Florida. Besides having to go offroad on gravel for 2 miles each way for one of the hikes (grandma in a walker could have passed me), wife wanted to stop at some pottery shop, and I ended up backing into a curb by trying to get to close. So yes, a slight case of wheel rash on the rim. Reading this thread does not give me much hope of trying to correct. It is literally on the edge that meets the tire so no one would care except me. What do I do gents? Ignore it, it is an 8 year old car and will not be the last blemish that occurs, or did anyone come up with a somewhat acceptable fix. I saw Peasodos black rim job and it seemed intriguing. Though never trying such a thing, I know I would mess it up. Thanks all.
Old 04-30-21, 09:01 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Agggghhhhh! I took my 2013 GSH to Tennessee from Florida. Besides having to go offroad on gravel for 2 miles each way for one of the hikes (grandma in a walker could have passed me), wife wanted to stop at some pottery shop, and I ended up backing into a curb by trying to get to close. So yes, a slight case of wheel rash on the rim. Reading this thread does not give me much hope of trying to correct. It is literally on the edge that meets the tire so no one would care except me. What do I do gents? Ignore it, it is an 8 year old car and will not be the last blemish that occurs, or did anyone come up with a somewhat acceptable fix. I saw Peasodos black rim job and it seemed intriguing. Though never trying such a thing, I know I would mess it up. Thanks all.
@Hues10 I feel your pain...I had my wheels refinished when I bought my '13 back in 2015. They stayed perfect for about 1year. After that, curb rash, road debris, car washes, and everything else that could affect the finish has made them probably the worst "looking" part of my GS.

Not to mention recently that my Lexus dealership scratched the inner wheel well while putting on wheel weights during balancing on all four wheels (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11015536).

Sometimes the tire/wheel/rim repair places have decent prices to refinish your wheel but i've heard stories of peeling paint, incorrect color matching, etc. and understand your DIY intentions. At this point with my GS being 9yrs old, i've learned to not care about the blemishes as much unless it impacts the safety and function of the wheel. I never even followed up with the dealership who scratched my wheels because it seemed like too much hassle and back/forth.
The following users liked this post:
Hues10 (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 10:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I will eventually have to spray match my wheel to match the rest of my wheels on my 2014 Lux and fix some curb rash/scratches on the wheel I bought. Finding the exact wheel color is next to impossible for these or other Lexus wheels, hyper silver color is not something you can just find a can of. I went to a paint shop and looked at some samples from his books and found a color that looked pretty close after holding them up to my wheel, Bavarian Silver Met. I will probably go with that color, since I am spraying the whole wheel it should work out and it will likely be impossible to tell the difference if there is one since the wheels will be so far apart and there won't be contrast from just fixing curb rash.
Old 04-30-21, 11:28 AM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Is it a better way is to strip all the paint and repaint a whole wheel?

Quick Reply: Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.