GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 12:26 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello all. OP here, back again to report on this case.
1. Because of the corona pandemic in 2020, I sendt the GS to my paintshop to repaint the roof that had dents because of a christmas tree, and while they were at it they were asked to cover the black spots as well as they could. The match was not perfect but not the worst but it did not last welll and kind of wore off quickly after the first wash.
Pictures below of the remains that stuck on to this day.

2. Last spring I had a drop in tyre shop replace the rubber on all 4 wheels, and the damn guy that were so nosy when I asked him to mind the orientation. "I do this all day" he snapped, before proceeding to wipe me a real curb rash on a second wheel with the tyre machine and even covered it up with lubricant so that I would not notice until next day. Have been nagging them for a year now to get some attention and had to threaten with newspapers. They insist on fixing one wheel will be ok, time will show...

My paintshop's attempt.

Last edited by arosnes; 07-10-23 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-08-23, 12:29 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Does not help how much you are careful when the professionals %/( it up.

My tire shop machine rash

Old 11-23-23, 01:21 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Hi. See this video, he has my exact rim on his desk:

Keywords: Hypersilver, Superchrome, Hyper Silver, Super Chrome
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (11-23-23)
Old 11-25-23, 06:51 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by arosnes
OK, I asked a wheel repair expert. There is nobody in Norway that can do this. Lexus Oslo had tried some guy at some point but had complaints about peeling and recommended repainting.
You're kidding right?
There's no other expensive performance cars in Norway but Lexus??? Go To Every Luxury Dealer Anywhere Near You and ask them.
There's only 1 wheel guy in the whole damn country is BS.
STOP screwing with it yourself. You are only spending time and money to make it worse.
Bruce in Fl
Old 11-26-23, 08:58 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BruceinFla
You're kidding right?
There's no other expensive performance cars in Norway but Lexus??? Go To Every Luxury Dealer Anywhere Near You and ask them.
There's only 1 wheel guy in the whole damn country is BS.
STOP screwing with it yourself. You are only spending time and money to make it worse.
Bruce in Fl
I have asked one of the best rim centers (https://www.felgteknikk.no/), and they can not guarante a match, and recommend a full repaint of either 2 or 4 rims.

Mind you, this thread is about the maintenance of rims, not full repaint. All rims get scratches.
When I got my first small scrathes I tried to find the paintcode, which has been found to not exist - there is not paint code for chrome, it is a metal.
Now I have more scratches (because of an underpaid overworked pop-up wheel tent dude) so it is time to decide.

Alternatives are
a) Try to reproduce the original chrome effect with powder coating or spray chrome based paint (professionally) on 1 or 4 rims.
b) Powder coat all 4 with regular paint code (professionally)
c) Spray paint all 4 with regular paint code (professionally)
d) Buy new original rim from Lexus at EUR 600 + work.
e) Continue to search for a touch up technique that works good enough to postpone the expense.

The youtube video above show that it is possible to recreate this coating, but at what cost?

You still are left with rims that are impossible to maintain, and who knows when you scratch them again and
still has no option other than a professional full repaint.
The only thing you have gained is that the professional might be able to redo only one rim instead of 4 next time.

Also, I found this video below, someone actually does the chrome the real way with vacuum chamber chrome deposition!

Also, according to Aurora Aksnes,, screwing with yourself is healthy, so why not ?
Old 11-26-23, 12:36 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 545 Likes on 396 Posts

My bud had his done this summer, black chrome is the best version of black out there IMO.
Old 11-26-23, 12:45 PM
BruceinFla
Advanced

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Yup. If you didn't want aftermarket wheels, powder coat would be the next best way out. Relatively inexpensive and durable. Plus you can change the color if you wanted to. Bruce in Fl
​​​