GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 02:05 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.

I have tried for some time to find the correct silver paint to fix scrathes on the rims of my GS. All the paintshops have refused to even try, claiming that this is a very special process.
One of the shops scanned the rims with a computer tool and gave me a touch-up spray can, but the result was horrible. I ordered a toyota original spray can with what appeared to be a common rim color code, but that was also horrible. I also tried some standard silver spray paint that I used on another car we have but that did not work either. For all the experiments, I sprayed clearcoat over to really double check the result. The paint and clearcoat came off with acetone quite easy in all cases.

Old 01-22-20, 02:13 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I finally got around to asking the local Lexus for the correct color code, and they found it as 11CR08.
They could not get the paint for me, again because of the special process. The local shop refused to try to blend
some silver paint that could match the tone. Finally I found this kit on amazon:

Amazon Amazon

"PAINT2FIX Silver Met 11CR08 Touch Up Paint Compatible with Toyota Prius - Paint Scratches and Chips Repair Kit - Color Match Guarantee"

Old 01-22-20, 02:20 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Experiments are currently ongoing, but the general tone of the paint seems to be spot on.
The shine of the touch up is not good and I have to try different applications methods and treatments
(wipe with the supplied alcohol, wetsand, polish etc)
Maybe even buy a paintbrush eventually

The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (01-23-20)
Old 01-22-20, 02:50 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

is ur rim the f sport rim color?
Old 01-22-20, 03:40 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Most dealers have a "wheel guy" that visit the dealership a few days a week that will fix those sorts of issues. No offense, but their work will look way better than that.
Old 01-22-20, 10:57 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

No, this is not F-sport, just regular rims. And I am sure the end result will match that wheel guy before I am finished
Old 01-23-20, 09:35 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Most dealers have a "wheel guy" that visit the dealership a few days a week that will fix those sorts of issues. No offense, but their work will look way better than that.
Agreed. My wife curbed my right rear F rim and they quoted me $90. They then realized I got one of the fancy wheel and tire insurance packages since I figured at some point the wheels would get some rash.

Either way the result was perfect.
Old 01-23-20, 09:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Looks like you have the 18" Superchrome wheel that was primarily on the premium pkg 2013-2015 GS's. For minor touch-ups its good to know we have a matching color that can be easily purchased for cheap!
Old 01-23-20, 11:21 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info. Seems to include 2013-2015 GS 350, 450h and 300h. Mine is a GS 300h executive.
Old 01-23-20, 02:39 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I will have to get myself an airbrush. I know metallic paints are horrible to apply by brush or in my case, needle because the metallic flakes are not going to align properly...
This is after wet-sanding with 2000 grit, and polishing.
Also, I think the proper color requires some degree of the black primer shining thru

Old 01-24-20, 10:04 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

This guy formulate my problem perfectly:

"This, however, means that the cost of refinishing hypersilver wheels is substantially more than a standard painted or machined wheel. The multistage process is quite expensive and the paint alone is three times the cost of standard paints. You obviously never want to damage your wheels, but you especially don't want to damage hypersilver wheels. On wheels with a black underlayer, any damage can become uniquely visible (and quite annoying) when picked out by a nice black outline."

https://www.liveabout.com/wheel-fini...silver-3234507
Old 01-24-20, 10:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by arosnes
I will have to get myself an airbrush. I know metallic paints are horrible to apply by brush or in my case, needle because the metallic flakes are not going to align properly...
This is after wet-sanding with 2000 grit, and polishing.
Also, I think the proper color requires some degree of the black primer shining thru
Finding someone who will tell you the exact color of your wheels is kind of like finding bigfoot. For some reason companies do not want to give people that information, I have contacted Lexus, OZ, the manufactures of the wheels to get the color/paint for the wheels and none have given me it, even wheel manufactures claim they don't know the color of their wheels and can't get that information which is BS. I would love to have the matching color that Lexus uses for their wheels.

From those pics it does not look like that color is close to matching, way too light plus the touchup was applied rough, it needs to be smooth or else it will stand out even if it is a good match. Having a raised blob is better then a rough finish. I would tape off the good areas and sand that down smooth with some more aggressive sand paper. See if a shop can put that paint you bought in a spray can and then try it on a spare piece of metal and see how close it is, if it is not close I would not use it.

I tried having a paint shop scan my wheel to match the paint but the spokes are not large enough/don't give enough surface area for the scanner to work. I went through a color chart and tried to match it as best I could by holding them up to the wheel. I have them mix a urethane spray, it was not perfect but close enough, you can't really tell where I tried my quick curb rash fix color wise unless you look/get close. You'll also want to spray a 2K clear over it too.
Old 01-24-20, 10:37 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

I found the correct description for my rims in the 2014 GS 450h sales brochure

Old 01-24-20, 11:06 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,176 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It looks like you probably have the 18" Split Five Spoke Alloy wheels with Superchrome finish (top right in the image below). I don't think the wheels are actually painted - I think they are a chrome type finish as the name implies. If this is correct there is no paint color per se to match the Superchrome finish. Wheel repair experts usually spray repaired wheels with a paint color that somewhat matches the original finish, but oftentimes the paint color they choose to use (especially when all four wheels are painted, or two wheels on one side are painted) can vary drastically from what the original finish looks like.

Also, here is a Lexus Technical Service Information Bulletin on Super Chrome Wheel Cleaning Best Practices

Last edited by bclexus; 01-24-20 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 02:08 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info BC.

Today I picked up a 40$ airbrush. Maybe that will make it possible to try out a really thin layer of paint over the black basecoat.

Quick Reply: Finally found correct paint to fix scratches on the rims.