GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Accident repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 10:42 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Why did they touch the headliner? Did it have to be removed to repair the bumper?
Old 01-23-20, 10:59 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Why did they touch the headliner? Did it have to be removed to repair the bumper?
they had to remove the rear window and the driver side quarter was replaced so some of it had to come off. It’s more the rear window panel and some of the headliner.. like this

Old 01-23-20, 11:58 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Zsikd
they had to remove the rear window and the driver side quarter was replaced so some of it had to come off. It’s more the rear window panel and some of the headliner.. like this

Yeah the resolve carpet cleaner would get rid of all the stains/marks. Someone with greasy hands removed it or installed it.
Old 01-23-20, 12:03 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah they definitely skimped on the quality part. I would keep bothering them to get them to do you right. They probably didn't have the car painted in a booth and incorporated dust to cause those bumps. Happened to me when I went to a cheaper body shop to do some repairs on my older car.
Old 01-23-20, 12:06 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Yeah they definitely skimped on the quality part. I would keep bothering them to get them to do you right. They probably didn't have the car painted in a booth and incorporated dust to cause those bumps. Happened to me when I went to a cheaper body shop to do some repairs on my older car.
Even in a paint booth this can happen, but usually not this bad. They usually call it trash in the paint, my car has some when they repainted the hood, but the body shop was able to wetsand and buff the entire hood. This made it perfectly smooth and no mark/spot left behind.
Old 01-23-20, 06:20 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Update for you guys - I reached out to the owner and he was actually very upset that the car left the shop with these quality problems. He said that the parts are OEM and will show proof of it, fix all the problems, and put me in a nice rental... We will see what happens next. Appreciate your help all
The following 2 users liked this post by Zsikd:
JDR76 (01-23-20), websurfer (01-24-20)
Old 01-23-20, 06:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Update for you guys - I reached out to the owner and he was actually very upset that the car left the shop with these quality problems. He said that the parts are OEM and will show proof of it, fix all the problems, and put me in a nice rental... We will see what happens next. Appreciate your help all
Good work! If you have the attention and the endorsement of the owner then you've done your part. I suspect you'll be happy with the results. Good luck and let us know...
Old 01-23-20, 06:31 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Good work! If you have the attention and the endorsement of the owner then you've done your part. I suspect you'll be happy with the results. Good luck and let us know...
Thanks for your help! I will keep this post updated after the repairs are fixed. I knew something wasn't adding up just because the owner is selling extremely luxurious and expensive cars, has amazing reviews for both his dealer and collision shop, something must have gone wrong. Hopefully, they fix it this time and I'm happy. Thank you
Old 01-23-20, 06:38 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

That’s great news. From having family members who own small businesses, I know that it is very hard to find workers who treat a business like the owner would, as far as doing a good job for the customers. Hopefully he will make things right for you.
Old 01-23-20, 06:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Thanks for your help! I will keep this post updated after the repairs are fixed. I knew something wasn't adding up just because the owner is selling extremely luxurious and expensive cars, has amazing reviews for both his dealer and collision shop, something must have gone wrong. Hopefully, they fix it this time and I'm happy. Thank you
Did he happen to mention (or did you ask) what will be done with reference to repainting the bumper (e.g. remove all previous paint), and also about matching the bumper to the car's OE paint color?
Old 01-23-20, 07:11 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by CottageChz
That’s great news. From having family members who own small businesses, I know that it is very hard to find workers who treat a business like the owner would, as far as doing a good job for the customers. Hopefully he will make things right for you.
As a business owner myself, no employee will grind hard like the owner would for the business. It’s hard and when you do come across the person who does grind like the owner, do whatever to keep them. The owner spent a decade or more building the shop and then became busy with the dealer, I understand it’s hard, but he’s a good guy so I’m certain he will handle it.

Originally Posted by bclexus
Did he happen to mention (or did you ask) what will be done with reference to repainting the bumper (e.g. remove all previous paint), and also about matching the bumper to the car's OE paint color?
Well, I had a conversation about all of this via text. The bubbles were present to the quarter panel but also mentioned I’m Unhappy about the color match. Once I meet him tomorrow, I’ll get all the details. I didn’t want to bombard him late at night with too much of a hassle.
Old 01-24-20, 02:50 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

As a business owner myself, no employee will grind hard like the owner would for the business. It’s hard and when you do come across the person who does grind like the owner, do whatever to keep them. The owner spent a decade or more building the shop and then became busy with the dealer, I understand it’s hard, but he’s a good guy so I’m certain he will handle it.

Well, I had a conversation about all of this via text. The bubbles were present to the quarter panel but also mentioned I’m Unhappy about the color match. Once I meet him tomorrow, I’ll get all the details. I didn’t want to bombard him late at night with too much of a hassle.
I'm interested in seeing how your color match turns out(repaint), liquid platinum is a hard color to butt match, without blending into the rear quarter panels. Blending into the quarter panel would be a big job. They would have to sand down the bumper, sand the entire quarter panel enough to scuff it up, paint the bumper, blend into the quarter panel, and clear coat the entire quarter panel and bumper.

When I say quarter panel it's not just the back quarter part that currently doesn't match the bumper, but the whole piece that goes to the front windshield. Only the rear section would get blended, rest is clear coated.

I doubt they will blend into the quarter panels and just try to butt match the existing paint again, hopefully it turns out better.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-24-20 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 04:22 AM
Zsikd
Driver

Originally Posted by peasodos
I'm interested in seeing how your color match turns out(repaint), liquid platinum is a hard color to butt match, without blending into the rear quarter panels. Blending into the quarter panel would be a big job. They would have to sand down the bumper, sand the entire quarter panel enough to scuff it up, paint the bumper, blend into the quarter panel, and clear coat the entire quarter panel and bumper.

When I say quarter panel it's not just the back quarter part that currently doesn't match the bumper, but the whole piece that goes to the front windshield. Only the rear section would get blended, rest is clear coated.

I doubt they will blend into the quarter panels and just try to butt match the existing paint again, hopefully it turns out better.
I’m curious to see what they do as well just because it should have been done accordingly in the first place but wasn’t. Now that I’m having to take it back, they’ll have to work with me here. I doubt that they’ll do the entire passenger quarter (extending to the windshield) but if they don’t blend into the rear quarter slightly, the bumper will always just look off and that will bother me a lot. I’ll even have my insurance adjuster pay for it, if they would, to fix it.

lets see what we’re able to do! At least the owner said he will fix it. Now, we wait and see. Haha
Old 02-10-20, 04:59 PM
Zsikd
Driver

For those who replied initially - The owner of the shop was more than accommodating and apologized for the inconvenience. Just got the car back and everything is completely fixed. Looks better than cars from the dealership. The passenger side quarter panel had to be blended in and the entire paint job was redone. The interior was fully detailed and now there are no more hand prints. Thank you all for the tips and etc!
The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 05:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

For those who replied initially - The owner of the shop was more than accommodating and apologized for the inconvenience. Just got the car back and everything is completely fixed. Looks better than cars from the dealership. The passenger side quarter panel had to be blended in and the entire paint job was redone. The interior was fully detailed and now there are no more hand prints. Thank you all for the tips and etc!

Please post pics when you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Accident repair