GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Changed my foglights to LED. Detailed photos of the process

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20, 09:26 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Interesting. I thought for sure I saw pictures of the fog lights being in foam protection. When I opened them last night, there were some specks of dust on the lens. I was able to wipe off, but I was disappointed as I thought at first they were inside the lens or worse a slight scratch on the inside/outside. It just seems odd that these are being shipped and tossed around, and they are basically in bubble wrap with no other protection in the box. Maybe I was expecting an "Apple product" box opening, where everything seems so logically placed and packed within the box.
One downside is the Morimoto has a plastic lens and the OEM is glass.
Old 01-28-20, 11:45 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

I remember reading that our OEM fog lights are glass. Believe it or not, I haven't really tapped on them when washing the car. Must be heavy duty glass if Lexus is going to put glass on lights that are so close to the ground. I just figure it is a stone flying away from breaking, though I have not heard anyone saying this happened. The Amazon vendor said that the lenses do come shipped in bubble wrap, so I can't wait to install them. Figured I would take some before and after pictures. Glad I shouldn't have to jack up the car and take off wheels. I am getting too old to be getting the wheels back on the studs. There is just no easy way to put a wheel back on the stud since you need to pick it up an inch or two, and it has to be vertical, and the holes have to line up exactly while you are holding it slightly off the ground. I usually end up sitting on the ground, putting the wheel on my legs, then schooch forward to get it on. Old men should not have to do that since they may not get back up.
Old 01-28-20, 11:53 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Old men should not have to do that since they may not get back up.
The following users liked this post:
Hues10 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20, 12:07 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I remember reading that our OEM fog lights are glass. Believe it or not, I haven't really tapped on them when washing the car. Must be heavy duty glass if Lexus is going to put glass on lights that are so close to the ground. I just figure it is a stone flying away from breaking, though I have not heard anyone saying this happened. The Amazon vendor said that the lenses do come shipped in bubble wrap, so I can't wait to install them. Figured I would take some before and after pictures. Glad I shouldn't have to jack up the car and take off wheels. I am getting too old to be getting the wheels back on the studs. There is just no easy way to put a wheel back on the stud since you need to pick it up an inch or two, and it has to be vertical, and the holes have to line up exactly while you are holding it slightly off the ground. I usually end up sitting on the ground, putting the wheel on my legs, then schooch forward to get it on. Old men should not have to do that since they may not get back up.
I have taken mine out, it is glass, it's thick, and very durable. No I have not heard of any every breaking.
My last car, Honda Civic also has glass fog lights.

The fogs get hit with rocks all the time and they don't crack, only very minor micro chips like the windshield gets over time, but I think between the circle shape, the curve, and the thickness, the glass is super strong with impacts.
Old 01-29-20, 05:41 AM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

...Glad I shouldn't have to jack up the car and take off wheels. I am getting too old to be getting the wheels back on the studs. There is just no easy way to put a wheel back on the stud since you need to pick it up an inch or two, and it has to be vertical, and the holes have to line up exactly while you are holding it slightly off the ground. I usually end up sitting on the ground, putting the wheel on my legs, then schooch forward to get it on. Old men should not have to do that since they may not get back up.
The Lexus wheels are large so anyone can struggle. I prefer to sit on a low garden work chair and work like a monkey with my feet under the wheel on each side and my hands on the sides. Works well.
This one works as a knee stand with hand supports if you turn it upside down.

Old 01-29-20, 05:54 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by arosnes
The Lexus wheels are large so anyone can struggle. I prefer to sit on a low garden work chair and work like a monkey with my feet under the wheel on each side and my hands on the sides. Works well.
This one works as a knee stand with hand supports if you turn it upside down.

Reminds me of something a senior citizen would use. Like a seat for taking a shower.
Old 01-29-20, 06:35 AM
PhilAtio
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 2014 GS with Luxury Package

My 2014 GS with Luxury Package came with LED fogs.

My only question is....It that Co Pilot on the dash Tux?
Old 01-30-20, 01:35 PM
arosnes
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Reminds me of something a senior citizen would use. Like a seat for taking a shower.
LOL. It is a garden tool. It is great for car work since it works as a knee padding with supports when upside down. Great for polishing etc.