GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission stuck in one of the gears and not shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 05:13 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Even though no transmission fluid was changed in this case. Note to forum members: transmission failure due to debris at 52k miles. A good example of why transmission flush is a bad idea at any mileage. Drain and fill only. Thankfully the powertrain warranty covered you.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
Parrokeete (02-01-22), Sherl (06-25-23)
Old 02-01-20, 05:37 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Even though no transmission fluid was changed in this case. Note to forum members: transmission failure due to debris at 52k miles. A good example of why transmission flush is a bad idea at any mileage. Drain and fill only. Thankfully the powertrain warranty covered you.
Debris in the transmission fluid was almost certainly not the reason the OP's transmission had a problem. It only had 53k miles. The problem was almost certain to be a failed shift solenoid as was indicated by the Trouble Code. The service write-up is very misleading - otherwise there are many millions of Toyota and Lexus vehicles on the road with only 50k miles or so that have problem-causing debris in the transmission fluid. Common sense tells us that is not true!
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
jonathancl (02-03-20), mrplesh (02-04-20), Parrokeete (02-01-22)
Old 02-20-20, 12:15 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

im not sure if its the correct thread here, but recently i just had a dead battery when i got a new one installed, for some reason when shifting to third(on drive) around 1-2k rpm there was a jerk, i made sure to warm up the car just to make sure its not too cold, but the problem only happen right after that battery problem.
Old 02-20-20, 12:27 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrcrz
im not sure if its the correct thread here, but recently i just had a dead battery when i got a new one installed, for some reason when shifting to third(on drive) around 1-2k rpm there was a jerk, i made sure to warm up the car just to make sure its not too cold, but the problem only happen right after that battery problem.
Replacing battery causing transmission problems, not that's a stretch, probably just a coincidence. The car does have to relearn if the battery was out of the car for any significant time, but jerking transmission sounds odd.

Do you have any aftermarket throttle controllers?
Old 02-20-20, 05:45 AM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Replacing battery causing transmission problems, not that's a stretch, probably just a coincidence. The car does have to relearn if the battery was out of the car for any significant time, but jerking transmission sounds odd.

Do you have any aftermarket throttle controllers?
the car is pretty much stock, the only thing i added was a steering wheel and thats about it, im not sure why but everytime it tried to get to third gear, it will kinda jerk, normally its very smooth before when you just put it in drive, but now you kinda expect a jerk between second and third. Any ideas ?
Old 02-01-22, 11:41 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gth181a
2014 GS F Sport with 53k miles.

Seeing if anyone has had this issue and what the cause may be before I have it towed to dealer tomorrow. Car starts fine and I'm able to put the car into drive. No check engine lights, etc.

The transmission feels like it's slipping (press gas, engine revs, but there is a delay before transmission engages and car moves), and when it does start to move, it stays in that one gear. It feels like it's starting in the 3rd or 4th gear because when I got home from work today, I stopped on my very slight incline drive way, and it had a very difficult time engaging in the gear for me to pull into the garage. Additionally, when I put it into drive, I hear a "clunk" noise. Anyone experience this before?
My 2007 ls460 just started this a couple weeks ago and I have a code scan tool (FIXD) that I plugged into the scan port under the dash and it gave codes for the transmission solenoids. The scan tool has an option to clear the codes and I did. The transmission changed normally as I drove the car but the VSC and check engine light and traction warning lights came on and the problem came back. My mechanic said he would install the new solenoids. Only thing is it might fix the problem or maybe the transmission will need to be replaced, thing is the transmission is strong and gears shift perfectly when the codes are cleared.

Last edited by Parrokeete; 02-01-22 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 12:05 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gth181a
No issues what so ever before and never had any transmission work done on it, including ATF change. It just happened this evening coming home from work. It drove perfectly fine this morning going to work and this past weekend.
It sounds like transmission solenoids problem, mine just started a few weeks ago. My code scan tool says it’s solenoids. Does anyone have any idea if replacing the solenoids work or does the transmission needs to be replaced. I’ve read different results from changing the transmission oil and if solenoids are replaced I’m sure some oil will need to be replaced and gasket too.

Last edited by Parrokeete; 02-01-22 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-01-22, 12:32 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

There use to be Transmission ECU fues on Lexus. Does the GS350 have a Trans ECU Fuse?
Old 02-01-22, 11:34 PM
aaguilar11
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Response

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
It sounds like transmission solenoids problem, mine just started a few weeks ago. My code scan tool says it’s solenoids. Does anyone have any idea if replacing the solenoids work or does the transmission needs to be replaced. I’ve read different results from changing the transmission oil and if solenoids are replaced I’m sure some oil will need to be replaced and gasket too.
Yes it works. See my responses and or post regarding this issue. I had the repair done at a dealer ship (I posted the invoice to the repair on a previous post). The dealer will tell you you need a new transmission that will cost you $6000. It's not work it. Just get the solenoids replaced. After watching a couple videos on youtube the repair does not look that hard although I was not willing to take the risk of trying. Just look up my name and you'll find invoice and trouble codes. I have had no problems since the repair.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (02-02-22)
Old 02-02-22, 06:18 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by aaguilar11
Yes it works. See my responses and or post regarding this issue. I had the repair done at a dealer ship (I posted the invoice to the repair on a previous post). The dealer will tell you you need a new transmission that will cost you $6000. It's not work it. Just get the solenoids replaced. After watching a couple videos on youtube the repair does not look that hard although I was not willing to take the risk of trying. Just look up my name and you'll find invoice and trouble codes. I have had no problems since the repair.
Thanks, that’s great.
Old 06-29-23, 04:39 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Code P0071 is the Ambient Temperature Sensor - which helps the engine control module (PCM) to determine how much fuel to use on startup, which is not directly related to anything with the transmission, but is related to the PCM - see Code P2714 below.

Code P0796 is the Pressure Control Solenoid - Most likely this code was thrown because the Shift Solenoid Valve SR failed which threw Code P0985. Code P2714 was also thrown because it detected a problem with the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid.

► Code P0985 is the Shift Solenoid Valve SR - Faulty valve which was the root cause of the transmission problem

Code P2714 was thrown because the
Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detected a problem with the Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid

The
Shift Solenoid Valve SR is #1 in the image below with the green plug. Part # is: 35240-50090 Cost: ~$200 Labor to replace: ~1.5 hours maximum

Do you have any idea whether the dealer replaced your transmission with another transmission or repaired (replaced the defective part) in your OE transmission?

When you get all the codes, do you replace the SR solenoid or the other two too? I have three codes here