GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Automobile Mag - 2020 GS350 Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-20 | 11:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Default Automobile Mag - 2020 GS350 Review

A pretty inaccurate piece of writing here...

Full article here. I've pasted some excerpts and my comments. Automobile Magazine should do better than this...

Maybe we've become desensitized, but the spindle grille doesn't look quite as objectionable as it once did to our eyes, and the rest of the GS design, while no standout, is fairly tidy. Sit yourself inside and things look more dated. That atrocious joystick-style display controller is still to be found on the center console (and is still among the worst interfaces on the market), the navigation and audio display graphics are a far cry from the newest high-resolution systems, and the sheer volume of buttons just about everywhere takes you back to the days before large, vertical touch screen interfaces became just about the only occupant interface.
Don't they usually complain about not enough buttons? About too much in the screens? And when did large, vertically mounted touchscreens "become just about the only occupant interface"? I can only think of a couple cars with them.

Material quality is premium, but barely so, with too much uninspiring plastic and leather that looks and feels average. Still, we were immediately able to get comfortable behind the wheel of the GS 350 F Sport, with plenty of interior space in both the front and rear seats. Despite the roominess, it doesn't feel oversized driving around town-very good for a sporting four-door.
I still like the interior layout and materials, but...opinions...

The rear-drive GS is also over 100 lbs lighter, slower to accelerate, and has a lower top speed by some 13 mph.
Uh, no... The only thing they got right here is that the RWD GS is lighter. Top speed? Not that it matters, but the RWD is 143 and AWD is 130, so the RWD does NOT have a lower top speed.

And here comes my favorite (I'll bold):

While the six-speed auto doesn't have any particularly bad habits, it's not quite able to make the most of the limited power on tap. The 3.5-liter V-6 produces 311 hp and 280 lb-ft, enough to make passing slower traffic a fairly simple task even in this portly, near-5,000-lb sedan. Of course, even a V-6 Camry has 301 hp these days-and an eight-speed transmission. In other words, the GS 350 doesn't exactly wow anyone when you floor the throttle, but nevertheless the car is still located on the fun-to-drive end of the specturm.
5000lbs? LOL... I first wrote this off as a typo until I saw that they repeat this in the "stats" section:
WEIGHT 4,960 lb
Okay, rant over...
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20 | 12:01 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Geez thats some real hate for the GS for some reason - maybe if the facts were correct we could at least call it "constructive"? This misrepresentation of facts seems almost political lol
Old 01-28-20 | 12:06 PM
PlPete
Driver

You read one .... you read them all. It really seems like these people just regurgitate the same misinformation over and over until people start to believe it. Even though it's not a GS350, I really enjoyed the one take Matt Farrah did on the GSF. Look it up on YouTube. Very well balanced review which actually makes sense.
Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20 | 12:11 PM
praetor
Racer

Mag racing is just that. The GS is a 4,000+ lb vehicle dry weight. I'm certain the 5,000 lb number is a wet weight, full tank of gas, all fluids, weight of driver, ...etc. Japanese luxury cars have never gotten the respect of the Germans.
Old 01-28-20 | 12:12 PM
praetor
Racer

I will agree though the infotainment center can use a revamp.
Old 01-28-20 | 12:22 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Thanks JDR! Interesting read and the article somewhat reminds me of the national media.
Old 01-28-20 | 12:35 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by praetor
Mag racing is just that. The GS is a 4,000+ lb vehicle dry weight. I'm certain the 5,000 lb number is a wet weight, full tank of gas, all fluids, weight of driver, ...etc. Japanese luxury cars have never gotten the respect of the Germans.
GS350 AWD is 3,891 lbs curb weight. Curb weight includes all fluids and a full tank of gasoline. I'll have to check the sticker on mine, but I think the weight that they quoted is the max allowable weight/gross vehicle weight rating - in other words, the limit for car plus passengers and luggage.
Old 01-28-20 | 12:40 PM
praetor
Racer

Interesting. Then they are bias as hell!
Old 01-28-20 | 01:17 PM
PlPete
Driver

I never understood the point of even taking about dry weight. You need all the fluids and gas for the car to operate, otherwise you got a chunk of fancy metal sitting there.
Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20 | 01:38 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

I really hope Lexus just kills of the GS and sends it off to the sunset on a peaceful death. GS is no longer needed in their lineup today, hell even a nicely loaded Hyundai/Kia/Genesis interior nowadays is much nicer than a GS. The GS has become the step brother of their entire lineup, yeah he is a cool older bro, but he's out of touch with today's technology, his inner circle of friends have gone on and made millions while he still works at his 9-5 office job complaining how much he hates his job but doesn't do anything about it and blames society for all his problems and now has dad bod. Sure he can clean up nicely when needed but in the end has no game and everyone else has passed him by and only true loyal friend is his dog.
Old 01-28-20 | 04:31 PM
charley95
Pole Position

I sat in the Kia's & the Genesis at our local auto show a few weeks ago. They have very nice interiors but, they are not night and day difference from the GS. I hope they don't kill the GS and just give us a revamp. There are little things I don't care for on mine but not enough to ditch the car. I think half the guys on this forum should just ditch theirs and go onto another brand.
The following 4 users liked this post by charley95:
AJLex19 (01-28-20), Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20), NickMayer (01-29-20), signdetres (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20 | 04:39 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PlPete
I never understood the point of even taking about dry weight. You need all the fluids and gas for the car to operate, otherwise you got a chunk of fancy metal sitting there.
It’s useful in some conversations, mainly for comparing apples to apples across vehicles. And you don’t actually *need* a full tank of gas to drive the car. You don’t *need* full wiper fluid to operate the car. I do agree that a dry weight is somewhat useless in terms of actually using the vehicle, but it does allow you to compare, say, a steel frame F-150 to the aluminum frame version without having to look at fuel tank capacity and such.
Old 01-28-20 | 05:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by charley95
I sat in the Kia's & the Genesis at our local auto show a few weeks ago. They have very nice interiors but, they are not night and day difference from the GS. I hope they don't kill the GS and just give us a revamp. There are little things I don't care for on mine but not enough to ditch the car. I think half the guys on this forum should just ditch theirs and go onto another brand.
My neighbor just bought a new G80. It really is gorgeous, and it definitely has features that my GS does not, but I still like my GS better.

And no car is perfect, and I surely wouldn't argue that the GS is dated, but man, I love it. There will always be something with more power, more room, more features, etc. And maybe it's just that I'm finally growing up and getting past the phase of wanting the latest thing, but the GS ticks the right boxes for me. I will have had it for a year this coming weekend, and I still love it, and still love driving it. I got my first GS in December of 2015. Never have I been so satisfied. Over 4 years of basically the same car and I don't want to trade. That's very unlike me.

I don't expect any magazine to give a very positive review of the GS at this stage, and I'm okay with that. The reviewers have different goals than I do. But I do expect them to have accurate information, and this article really just fails. I am a big car magazine guy and maybe I am more sensitive to this one because I have a GS, but in the 30 or so years I've been reading these magazines, I never remember seeing an article that was so sloppy and full of errors. That's disappointing.
The following 3 users liked this post by JDR76:
Im2bz2p345 (01-28-20), NickMayer (01-29-20), signdetres (01-28-20)
Old 01-28-20 | 05:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I posted on their Facebook page and they fixed some of the errors, but still not the weight.
Old 01-28-20 | 05:42 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
My neighbor just bought a new G80. It really is gorgeous, and it definitely has features that my GS does not, but I still like my GS better.

And no car is perfect, and I surely wouldn't argue that the GS is dated, but man, I love it. There will always be something with more power, more room, more features, etc. And maybe it's just that I'm finally growing up and getting past the phase of wanting the latest thing, but the GS ticks the right boxes for me. I will have had it for a year this coming weekend, and I still love it, and still love driving it. I got my first GS in December of 2015. Never have I been so satisfied. Over 4 years of basically the same car and I don't want to trade. That's very unlike me.

I don't expect any magazine to give a very positive review of the GS at this stage, and I'm okay with that. The reviewers have different goals than I do. But I do expect them to have accurate information, and this article really just fails. I am a big car magazine guy and maybe I am more sensitive to this one because I have a GS, but in the 30 or so years I've been reading these magazines, I never remember seeing an article that was so sloppy and full of errors. That's disappointing.
You nailed it JDR! I just love mine and will love it even more next time I drive it. It is so true, not one car can check all boxes.

Quick Reply: Automobile Mag - 2020 GS350 Review