GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS Build quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 03:11 PM
Zsikd
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default GS Build quality

Just added the UX as apart of his and hers collection and I must say, although the UX is considered an extra level model and what not, you get a lot of bang for your buck.

comparing both cars though - the GS was built with quality material. Everything feels a lot more premium in the GS (as there’s a decent price difference) but the UX has a bunch of cheap plastics. Nothing different than a Ford Escape except badged with Lexus...

there’s a reason why the GS has won so many awards and always comes up at least within the Top 5 most reliable and best resale valued vehicle.

what do you guys think?
Old 01-29-20, 03:23 PM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

I sat in a 2020 UX (didn’t drive it) while my car was being serviced. They also gave me a 2019 ES as a loaner. My GS is miles ahead of both in terms of fit and finish inside the car. Like you said, lots of cheap plastics abound, and I was very underwhelmed and disappointed how a car from 2013 could put a brand new car from the same brand to shame.

I really hope they make a new GS. And if they do, I hope they do it justice. The 4GS is a great car. It deserves a worthy successor.
Old 01-29-20, 03:33 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Last year when my wife and I were shopping for her RX350, they had a couple of new UX's (hybrid and UX200) in the showroom and for S&Gs we decided to test drive one and oh boy that was a terrible interior quality to our surprise.The overall design was nice looking but fit and finish was not what we'd expected from Lexus brand. Lots of cheap hard plastics and black glossy materials just didn't feel like a finished product even with the loaded one we test drove which had the tan or camel color interior and at initial looks seemed nice but then once inside was meh. They don't even offer real leather and uses that synthetic leather. It reminded us allot of the Toyota C-HR but with a Lexus badge and way more expensive. Also the UX is very very small, felt under powered and sounded like a go cart. I understand this is Lexus cheapest entry level model and a very popular segment but for the asking price and level of 'entry luxury" not worth the asking price.
Old 01-29-20, 03:51 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

I was going to get a UX when shopping for a car for my dad but couldn't get over the cheap feeling and underpowered powertrain and ended up settling for the ES Premium. The UX is not worth their asking price and it's kinda small. No offense against UX fans though!
Old 01-29-20, 04:50 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 939 Likes on 575 Posts

I got the chance to drive a UX for a few days last year, these were my impressions:

"BTW, the UX is not an unpleasant drive. Definitely way under-powered with that 169HP 4-banger but it's a comfortable ride and I've gotten 30 mpg with mixed driving around town. Actually felt bigger than I thought it would, at least from the driver's seat... and I really missed the remote touch and the cruise control stalk in the GS. But the interior is nicely done, seats and dash are fairly attractive, and the shape of the driver's seat is supportive and well-bolstered. Unfortunately my daughter's 17 Civic Hatchback is both significantly faster and roomier inside, and almost as comfortable... and costs $12K less."