Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 09:02 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by d3Performance

2018 Camry on 93 Octane

2018 Camry on 87 Octane

2017 Tacoma on 87 Octane. Good torque gains.
So basically this tune gives close to the performance of 93 octane out of 87 octane. That's great for Tacoma and Camry.

What about on the GS? Can you squeeze additional juice out of it provided most of us already fill with either 91 or 93(where available)?
Old 02-03-20, 09:12 AM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

We were able to make good gains on 93 octane with the stock airbox and great gains with a cold air intake. The Camry has the same motor that is in the 2016+ GS350. We have a local test vehicle coming in for a tune later this month. We will know much more after that time.
Old 02-03-20, 10:29 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Fairly certain no one has ever hacked the Toyota/Lexus ECU. Good luck though.
Old 02-03-20, 10:42 AM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

Several different companies have hacked it. We hacked it over 1 year ago.
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (02-04-20)
Old 02-03-20, 11:17 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by d3Performance
Several different companies have hacked it. We hacked it over 1 year ago.
Photos or it didn't happen.
Old 02-03-20, 11:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Photos or it didn't happen.
Here is all the info they have on the website:
https://d3performance.net/index.php/...ormance-tuner/

$600

Overview

The nGauge is a powerful OBD2 programmer that can load tunes, display important engine information, and read and clear DTCs all in one thin, compact device. The nGauge was carefully designed to fit into most standard-sized gauge pods. The nGauge has a programmable shift light and can datalog many important engine parameters. The nGauge comes with a SD card that can be used to transfer tunes to the device and download data logging information.

Tuning

D3 Performance Custom Tune Options:

• 93 Octane Performance Tune
    • Gained 18.3 hp and 15.9 lb-ft of Torque
  • 93 Octane Cold Air Intake Performance Tune
    • Gained 30 hp and 21.3 lb-ft of Torque
  • 87 Octane Performance Tune
    • Gained 7.6 hp and 11.6 lb-ft of Torque
  • 87 Octane Cold Air Intake Performance Tune
    • Gained 23.8 hp and 12 lb-ft of Torque

Hardware Features

Touch Screen: The nGauge has a full color, 2.40-inch, 320 x 240 LCD resistive touch screen display.

Load Tune: Easily change between preinstalled and custom tunes. Tunes load in only a minute.

Return to Stock: Quickly return your ECU to the stock calibration.

Diagnostic Tool: Take advantage of built in diagnostics to monitor your engine and other systems.

Trouble Codes: Read engine trouble codes to diagnose issues.

Clear Codes: Clear DTCs when resolved. Prevent expensive trips to the dealership.

Multiple Gauges: Choose from three different gauge screens with data logging. Display up to 6 gauges at a time.

PID Selection: Select from many included PIDs to display and log your engine’s performance.

Auto Wake/Sleep: Configure the nGauge to wake and sleep automatically.

What’s in the Box

• nGauge
  • MicroSD Memory Card
  • MicroSD Card Adapter
  • Stylus
  • Adapter Ring
  • OBD2 Cable
  • Suction Cup Windshield Mount

Here are the tune results from an IS350
$550
https://d3performance.net/index.php/...-ngauge-tuner/

Tuning

D3 Performance Custom Tune Options:

• 93 Octane Performance Tune: +4 horsepower and +22 lb-ft of torque.
  • 93 Octane Cold Air Intake Performance Tune: +25 horsepower and +26 lb-ft of torque.

2GR-FSE Dyno Results

Old 02-03-20, 11:37 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Can someone pls tell me if this tune or any tunes out there can improve the 0-60 time? I can see that it makes more power on the dyno sheets but does it actually improve performance in real world driving? Quicker acceleration?

Or Lexus engineers still know what's best for their cars?
Dreamcast (02-04-20)
Old 02-03-20, 12:14 PM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

Toyota/Lexus play a balance between fuel economy, emissions and performance when the build calibrations for their engines. When we tune these engines, we are looking to maximize torque and horse power. These increases are felt when driving the vehicle. In some cases like the Tacoma down shift tables, their shift points were obviously meant for fuel economy and not performance. We spend time refining what they produced as opposed to trying to reinvent what they produced.
mkmckinley (02-04-20)
Old 02-03-20, 12:54 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

It is interesting to see that the CAI really does seem to push your numbers up. A lot of people on here say that's fool's gold.
Icetrai350 (10-09-21)
Old 02-03-20, 12:58 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
Does these tunes improve the 0-60 time? If not then what are these tunes really for?
Doubt it, or they would have attempted to test it under controlled conditions. I believe it's done in an attempt to improve driveability. It's just like how S and S+ make the car feel faster but don't improve the 0-100 time given you're flat footed the whole time anyways....
The modest improvement in torque may shave off a split second, am keen to see numbers
Old 02-03-20, 01:06 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

They should do a drag race of a tuned with CAI GS 350 vs. a stock GS 350. IF it can beat the stock car then it's worth getting it done.

This stock ISF vs. a full bolt-on ISF with a tune shows that a stock car pulls harder or about the same as the modded one. I'm sure the modded one costs a lot $$$ but it doesn't seem to perform any better than stock. Yea probably it has a bit worse reaction time but still, it should be able to beat the stock car easily.

Im2bz2p345 (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 08:59 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

If this works out I can see getting it for the shift points alone. A few extra HP, hey, what's not to like? I'm super interested to see the results when they get the test car.
Old 02-04-20, 09:18 AM
Plohish24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I appreciate your response and everything you said makes sense. I was not talking “trash”, and the company itself with owner do really good thing. They correct and adjust that has not been done by manufacture.

BUT!!! Way the articles say and what they actually advertise is different in reality.
My vehicle maintained better then most of the vehicles on the market and it’s 6.7sec to 60 with lunch and traction off as of now.

Before I wrote this article I took another same vehicle, test drove it and it was no.... absolutely no difference.
if you can suggest any modifications that will make a difference I will appreciate it.
best regards

Originally Posted by Cwang
I'm going to pull you up here.

Here's the thing - your car doesn't have an L98 or an LS3 with a free 50 kW and 70Nm to be gained with a run on the dyno. OVR on their website claim an unmodified RC gains 7kW@ the wheels and 18Nm. I've had cars tuned before and it's **** all but to be fair they fairly advertised the modest numbers.

In my opinion the 3-5% increase is going to go unnoticed on our vehicles. I can't speak for the other improvements they claim but if you were expecting a noticeable improvement from that alone, I think you had unrealistic expectations.

The car is advertised as being a 6 second car. Is yours not 6 seconds? You can test it yourself. Maybe needs some maintenance?

​​​​​​Compared to a DSG I grant you it's slower but it should shift swiftly compared to slushboxes 10 years ago. I've heard the 8sp isn't up to par but I don't believe they would have tuned it anyways.

Before you continue talking trash about the company, why don't you tell us whether you actually had it done to your car?
What stage did you go to? Completely stock? New air intake with catback or new downpipes and full exhaust? What was promised? What was their response to your disappointment?

​​​​​​
Old 02-04-20, 11:16 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

So no difference in 0-60. Better save the money and buy a GSF then.
Old 02-04-20, 04:37 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Plohish24
My vehicle maintained better then most of the vehicles on the market and it’s 6.7sec to 60 with lunch and traction off as of now.
The GS350 is a 6s 0 -100 car, it should be even quicker to 60. Measure it again, something isn't right...unless you don't have a 350 you would be doing 6s.
Either way, they advertised miniscule gains, I'm afraid your expectations were unreasonable. I believe that a <10% increase is unnoticeable to the average driver.

Originally Posted by Plohish24
if you can suggest any modifications that will make a difference I will appreciate it.
best regards
The 350 makes 233kw from 3.5L NA. Impressive, especially in 2011 when it started production. If you want more power get a turbo, supercharger or buy the GS F. In all honesty you're mad not to buy the F, it sells new in the US for what we pay for a GS350

Quick Reply: Disappointed of OV Tune ECU upgrade Lexus GS F-Sport