GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Disappointed of OV Tune ECU upgrade Lexus GS F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 06:15 PM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I believe that a <10% increase is unnoticeable to the average driver.
A 10% torque increase between 2000 and 4000 RPMs very noticeable. Of course it depends on how heavy your foot is.
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (02-05-20)
Old 02-04-20, 06:42 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
The GS350 is a 6s 0 -100 car, it should be even quicker to 60. Measure it again, something isn't right...unless you don't have a 350 you would be doing 6s.
Either way, they advertised miniscule gains, I'm afraid your expectations were unreasonable. I believe that a <10% increase is unnoticeable to the average driver.

The 350 makes 233kw from 3.5L NA. Impressive, especially in 2011 when it started production. If you want more power get a turbo, supercharger or buy the GS F. In all honesty you're mad not to buy the F, it sells new in the US for what we pay for a GS350
So our GS 350 can reach 100 MPH in about 6 seconds?

I've never really paid attention but I know it doesn't take much effort to go over 100 in this car.
Old 02-04-20, 07:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
So our GS 350 can reach 100 MPH in about 6 seconds?

I've never really paid attention but I know it doesn't take much effort to go over 100 in this car.
He most likely meant 100 kph, which is about 62 mph. He is located down-under in New South Wales, Australia.

The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (02-05-20)
Old 02-04-20, 07:59 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
he most likely meant 100 kph, which is about 62 mph. He is located down-under in new south wales, australia.

Old 02-05-20, 01:14 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by d3Performance
A 10% torque increase between 2000 and 4000 RPMs very noticeable. Of course it depends on how heavy your foot is.
From the chart above the average torque has increased by 5% which is great, however I don't think it's going to be all that noticeable in isolation - just my opinion. That said, I would guess the bulk of your work is on cars that have new intakes, headers and full exhausts etc - I have no doubt a tune would breathe new life. It certainly did to my last car.

The 0-100 thing, it's advertised here as a 6s car to 100kmh so it should translate to high 5s to 60mph, I think 60 must be slightly slower than 100. I keep forgetting to notate my units, I only have to do so when talking to folks over 80 (years) here 😂
Old 02-05-20, 01:21 AM
OUT FOX EM
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

From the chart above the average torque has increased by 5% which is great, however I don't think it's going to be all that noticeable in isolation - just my opinion. That said, I would guess the bulk of your work is on cars that have new intakes, headers and full exhausts etc - I have no doubt a tune would breathe new life. It certainly did to my last car.

The 0-100 thing, it's advertised here as a 6s car to 100kmh so it should translate to high 5s to 60mph, I think 60 must be slightly slower than 100. I keep forgetting to notate my units, I only have to do so when talking to folks over 80 (years) here 😂
100 kmh is equal to 62 mph, so 0-60 times will be a tick less than 0-100 times, though I wouldn't expect any more than 1/10th of a second at most. They should be equal for all intents and purposes.
Old 02-05-20, 01:33 AM
mkmckinley
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree this would be noticeable. 0-60 isn't everything. There's a difference in and perceived driveability depending on where and how much torque you're getting at various RPM. I daily drove an S2000 for 6 six years. I loved that car and miss it every time I see one on the road, but it didn't get most of its power until relatively high RPM. It felt like you have to drive hard and rev high to get the to feel fast and accelerate. My next car, a WRX, had HP in the same ballpark but the torque came on a lot earlier and it felt immensely more powerful than the S2000. Like, seat-of-pants dyno would have had me guess 50% more powerful when it was actually closer to 15%.

All this is just my personal experience and I'm no expert. Everyone's is different, but I think even a 5% improvement in low RPM torque would definitely be noticeable. Bonus if it's supported by programmable shift point mapping. I'm never going to track a GS 350 but for spirited driving the subjective "feel" means a lot to me. Suspension, throttle response, shifting makes me feel in control of the car and makes driving more enjoyable.

Last edited by mkmckinley; 02-05-20 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-05-20, 02:19 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mkmckinley
I think a 5% improvement in low RPM torque would definitely be noticeable Bonus if it's supported by programmable shift point mapping.
Here's hoping a regular forum contributor takes the plunge and does a writeup! I for one am not above 'cash (free maps) for comments' 🤣 In all seriousness I didn't come here to bag a product, I just don't like seeing a product being written off because a customer thought it would change their car. We forget how powerful forums are, anyone doing their due for a Lexus GS flash tune may see this on the first google page and cost someone business.

I wonder how the mail order flash numbers compare to a proper dyno tune? I got a custom tune for a previous car for the price of these mail order ones - however your local tuning shop probably doesn't have the IP to do it, leaving one no option.
Old 02-05-20, 02:21 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

We are talking about a 14 year old engine that still has not been properly tuned yet. I doubt we’ll ever see a tune for this engine that will improve its performance. I’d personally just go with the GS-F if money is not an issue or buy a supercharger.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 02-05-20 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-05-20, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The 13-15 GS350 has done 0-60 in 5.4 seconds in tests.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a easy or inexpensive way to get any more real noticeable power out of this engine, if a tune did not take a few tenths of a second off the 0-60 or quarter mile I would not spend any money on it, certainly not over $300-500.
Old 02-05-20, 12:10 PM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

We made excellent horsepower and torque gains with the 2GR-FSE tune. I anyone is interested in trying our the tune, bring their car to our shop and I'll flash it for free. Or PM me and we can work out something.
Old 02-05-20, 01:42 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

We made excellent horsepower and torque gains with the 2GR-FSE tune. I anyone is interested in trying our the tune, bring their car to our shop and I'll flash it for free. Or PM me and we can work out something.
Did you say free? I live in the same city .... lol
Old 02-05-20, 01:45 PM
d3Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes, then you can give others in the group your honest opinion based on your experience. PM me.
Old 02-05-20, 03:08 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

I'm a skeptic in believing any meaningful and noticeable improvement in performance is possible with a [so-called] 'tune' of the Lexus GS 350 engine. Unfortunately the GS 350 does not have a forced-fed (turbocharged or supercharged) engine where the boost could easily be turned-up, with modified fuel mapping and ignition timing that would add huge horsepower and torque gains (like the 4th Gen JZA80 Twin-Turbo Supra which had strong internals).

I am of the opinion that there is not much a 'tune' can do to increase the horsepower and torque of the stock GS 350 engine. And I do not consider altering an engine's ignition timing and fuel mapping for increased throttle-response in less than wide-open-throttle conditions to be anything more than a manipulative trick (gimmick) with the objective of making the driver feel-good that the vehicle has more power - something any vehicle with a 'Sport' mode button can duplicate.

Getting meaningful and noticeable increased performance from the 4GS engine with a 'tune' is like changing a tire on a moving vehicle.

Not that it can't be done, but...
Old 02-05-20, 03:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

If it gives u more HP and Torque then it should improve the 0-60 time right? Or am I missing something here? More power = quicker acceleration right? Especially if the weight remains the same.

Quick Reply: Disappointed of OV Tune ECU upgrade Lexus GS F-Sport