GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking at 2018 CPO - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-20, 07:53 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking at 2018 CPO - your thoughts?

Looking at a CPO 2018 F-Sport with 17K miles (warranty to 11/2023). In looking at Service history at Lexus website I saw the following update at the 15K Service (sorry for the caps as I did a cut/paste):

1) BOTH REAR TIRES WORN TO 3/32
2) (1) WHEEL; LEFT FRONT WHEEL HAS CURB SCUFFS; REC. REPAIRS. PREMIUM MACHINED WHEEL ~|~ ~|~,CUSTOMER DECLINED SERVICE -NO REASON STATEDREPAIR
3) NEED MORE INFORMATION ON MIDDLE SCREEN GOING BLANK; UNABLE TO DUPLICATE; NO CODES FOUND FOR CONCERN

I haven’t seen the car in person yet, as I just came across this. Being CPO would these things give you pause? Maybe bad tires but seems like tires wore down quickly for only 15K miles, plus the wheel rash. Maybe no big deal but makes me question how hard the driver was on the car. Lastly, not sure how common the center screen resets on these, but initially concerned about the fact they couldn’t reproduce and therefore it isn’t resolved. Price seems to be a bit on higher end, but haven’t even gone down that thought process yet based on thinking through these other things.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Last edited by tdub4; 02-05-20 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-05-20, 10:42 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 175 Likes on 135 Posts

Rear wheel drive so probably doing burn outs with it Can they do burn outs if you turn off traction control. As far as the screen, you are protected until 11/2023 so don't let that worry you. Did they also do the 5k and 10k complimentary service? If you like the color combination, go for it. Just make sure this is the car you want. My 2 cents.
Old 02-05-20, 12:49 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I think the sweet spot for the GS is when its around 3 or 4 years old, under 45k miles and CPO. You get the best overall value with mileage, cost, wear and tear. There isn't much difference between 2016, 2017 or 2018+ F Sports so you can save some coin by considering something a little bit older with just a touch more mileage.

If you have to spend money to get wheels/tires/curb rash fixed and they won't do it for you as part of the sale price, i wouldn't go for that deal. Mainly because it will cost another $500+ on top to get new tires mounted/balanced/aligned and get the curb rash fixed up yourself.

If it has CPO, you shouldn't worry about the Nav as it will be covered under warranty and likely was a one time glitch.

You should be able to find a CPO 2016 in the $30k - $32k range.
Old 02-05-20, 01:00 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. This one is listed at $44.9k, which does seem high - especially if I back off the year to a 2017 (or '16). As I have read more about the F-Sport I understand that you cannot rotate front to back, so that explains some (if not all) of the quick tread wear. Have also been reading up on the pre-2018 Luxury packages and now my mind is spinning. Really like some of the adds for the F-Sport design but seems the Luxury package has its own additions that would be nice as well. Initial pass through for the local area doesn't show any available yet though
Old 02-05-20, 01:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by tdub4
Thanks for the replies. This one is listed at $44.9k, which does seem high - especially if I back off the year to a 2017 (or '16). As I have read more about the F-Sport I understand that you cannot rotate front to back, so that explains some (if not all) of the quick tread wear. Have also been reading up on the pre-2018 Luxury packages and now my mind is spinning. Really like some of the adds for the F-Sport design but seems the Luxury package has its own additions that would be nice as well. Initial pass through for the local area doesn't show any available yet though
Only RWD F-Sports have staggered wheels/tires where tire rotation could be a concern - are you looking at a RWD F-Sport?

Luxury packages on the GS were discontinued after 2017. See this thread/post for some good recent info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10725380
Old 02-05-20, 03:25 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

https://www.hendricklexusnorthlake.c...93a1c09523.htm not the same as what you're looking at but its a unicorn as its a 16 with lux packaged and rear heated seats. if thats not your cup of tea i'd happily switch out my fsport seats and door panels if you prefer black over this interior =D
Old 02-05-20, 05:12 PM
Tspinning
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple months ago I picked a 2018 FSport w/ 31k miles, no CPO (just factory remaining warranty) for $38k out the door. New tires and rims look new/refinished. Bought the wheel tire care so for the life of my loan (5 years?!) I get free resurfacing of the rims... cause it happens. Wish the miles were lower, but only in view of resale, overall I love the car. Gas mileage is however abysmal in the city but I knew that going in and am happy.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (02-05-20)
Old 02-05-20, 06:27 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I picked my 18 gs350 fsport for 37k out the door with 11k miles. Not CPO either
Old 02-06-20, 05:54 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2018 CPO GS350 AWD. I would not be to concerned with that service history at least due to the approximate 4 year remaining CPO warranty. I’m 8 months my screen has gone black 4 times and it comes back on in less than a minute. Lexus service has not been able to duplicate the problem.
Old 02-06-20, 05:56 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Price is a bit high
Old 02-07-20, 01:26 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Yea I am thinking price too high as well. They also have a 2017 AWD with HUD that I would like, but interior is Flaxen and not sure about that as I prefer black interior and debating on AWD. I do like the option of ability to rotate tires with AWD but would need to drive it to see how that would feel compared to RWD. That one is a 2017 CPO for $41.9k with 16k miles
Old 02-07-20, 01:48 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought my wife's GS Fsport RWD CPO. And though I knew I was paying more for it than I would have otherwise, but there were a couple of factors that made it a satisfactory purchase after all.

Some of the factors were: We got brand new Michelin PS4S tires at time of purchase. These tires alone are at least $1,100 bucks. We're also buying a very reputable Lexus dealer (Park Place Lexus Grapevine). And CPO warranty until 2021 for unlimited miles. For us that was about 4 years left, and we drive about 25K miles a year. Where else are you going to get 100K miles of coverage?

After the purchase, we got the front brakes and rotors replaced, new battery, and just last week new front shock absorber replaced. All covered under CPO. I've worked with the same service adviser the whole time of ownership and he's been awesome. I've gotten about $3,000 worth of replacements for this car to date. I was always given a loaner each time I had to leave it. I would do it again without a doubt. Lexus CPO is just about the best warranty for a used car you can get. So with the service history you posted, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Buy what you like. If the problem show up, they'll take care of it. If it's a problem down the road, get rid of it before CPO Warranty goes out.
Old 02-07-20, 02:00 PM
knbnguyen
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I was in the struggle trying to figure out which to get, RWD or AWD. I ended with RWD because there's more selection out there. Also, because I live in GA, I am not driving in the snow so AWD is pointless for me.
Old 02-07-20, 02:13 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knbnguyen
I was in the struggle trying to figure out which to get, RWD or AWD. I ended with RWD because there's more selection out there. Also, because I live in GA, I am not driving in the snow so AWD is pointless for me.
Yes, I am in Texas and AWD wouldn't serve me from a weather standpoint as much as it would for tire rotation and the VERY occasional winter event that comes once a year (at best). I do like the HUD though and so far is the only one I have seen listed that I would be potentially open to as far as specs. I need to just go see it I guess.
Old 02-07-20, 02:14 PM
tdub4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kennyD
I bought my wife's GS Fsport RWD CPO. And though I knew I was paying more for it than I would have otherwise, but there were a couple of factors that made it a satisfactory purchase after all.

Some of the factors were: We got brand new Michelin PS4S tires at time of purchase. These tires alone are at least $1,100 bucks. We're also buying a very reputable Lexus dealer (Park Place Lexus Grapevine). And CPO warranty until 2021 for unlimited miles. For us that was about 4 years left, and we drive about 25K miles a year. Where else are you going to get 100K miles of coverage?

After the purchase, we got the front brakes and rotors replaced, new battery, and just last week new front shock absorber replaced. All covered under CPO. I've worked with the same service adviser the whole time of ownership and he's been awesome. I've gotten about $3,000 worth of replacements for this car to date. I was always given a loaner each time I had to leave it. I would do it again without a doubt. Lexus CPO is just about the best warranty for a used car you can get. So with the service history you posted, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Buy what you like. If the problem show up, they'll take care of it. If it's a problem down the road, get rid of it before CPO Warranty goes out.
Thanks for the reply. I am a Park Place (Plano) guy myself. They do good work and have always taken care of me through my previous GS cars (2001 and 2010)

Quick Reply: Looking at 2018 CPO - your thoughts?