GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 10:46 AM
Neez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the new brake pads necessary to remove squeal? I had just replaced the pads 500miles ago with Advics and was wondering if the Lexus (04945-30340) Anti-Squeal Shim Kit would be enough to remove the squealing of my brakes. If not I guess I'll just take my loss on the fairly new pads and purchase the Pads Set 04465-30540 .
Old 03-26-20, 04:53 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrasbg5
I purchased a used 2016 GS F Sport. It came with OEM 2-piece. No squealing with the OEM setup. The pads were about to go so I bought the Centric basic/commuter rotors and pads (semi-metallic). This is because I don't drive aggressively or track. Squealed after a few days. I tried different greases and shims, even the Lexus shims with the rubberized lining. Was good for another few days. I must've worked on my brakes at least 7 times trying to figure out the squealing. Finally decided to change to Akebonos with the Centric rotors. Still squealed. Put the 2-piece OEMs (unturned/didn't resurface) back on with Akebonos. No squeal. Been two weeks. It was the rotors!
How is this doing now? Akebonos were squealing like mad for me on OEM rotors. Took them a couple of weeks to start, but once they started squealing it was unbearable. Note, we put about 400-500 miles a week on our GS.

Now I'm using OEM rotors with OEM pads, and no squeal.
Old 03-26-20, 04:57 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Neez
Are the new brake pads necessary to remove squeal? I had just replaced the pads 500miles ago with Advics and was wondering if the Lexus (04945-30340) Anti-Squeal Shim Kit would be enough to remove the squealing of my brakes. If not I guess I'll just take my loss on the fairly new pads and purchase the Pads Set 04465-30540 .
What rotors are you using, OEM or aftermarket? It seems like this is a dice toss. People are seeing a little bit of varying results with different set ups. Some say OEM is the fix. In my case, OEM was the key to getting rid of the squeal. Some say they're running OEM rotors + Akebonos with no problem, some say they're running aftermarket rotors with OEM pads with no problem.

You'll probably end up getting your brakes worked on 2-3 times before you find a combination that works for you. I did my brakes 4 times.
Old 03-26-20, 08:00 AM
ultrasbg5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
How is this doing now? Akebonos were squealing like mad for me on OEM rotors. Took them a couple of weeks to start, but once they started squealing it was unbearable. Note, we put about 400-500 miles a week on our GS.

Now I'm using OEM rotors with OEM pads, and no squeal.
Still no noise. I didn't even grease the back of the pads! It's been about a month now. I don't get it either. I thought it was my Centric rotors being glazed up by breaking in my Centric pads.

I do LOVE that there is virtually no brake dust from the Ceramic Akebonos. The Semi-metallics did brake better with initial bite. I only commute so I'm fine with the smoother braking of the Akebonos. It's still really good due to the big *** 14-inch rotors. No complaints at all with this setup.
Old 03-26-20, 09:13 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ultrasbg5
Still no noise. I didn't even grease the back of the pads! It's been about a month now. I don't get it either. I thought it was my Centric rotors being glazed up by breaking in my Centric pads.

I do LOVE that there is virtually no brake dust from the Ceramic Akebonos. The Semi-metallics did brake better with initial bite. I only commute so I'm fine with the smoother braking of the Akebonos. It's still really good due to the big *** 14-inch rotors. No complaints at all with this setup.
I agree. Going form the original brakes on the car to Ceramics was day and night. For those weeks I had the Akebonos on the front wheels looked so much better. The new updated OEM pads are almost as good as the ceramics in terms of brake dust. I feel lucky that I was able to find a fix.
Old 03-26-20, 10:56 AM
Neez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kennyD
What rotors are you using, OEM or aftermarket? It seems like this is a dice toss. People are seeing a little bit of varying results with different set ups. Some say OEM is the fix. In my case, OEM was the key to getting rid of the squeal. Some say they're running OEM rotors + Akebonos with no problem, some say they're running aftermarket rotors with OEM pads with no problem.

You'll probably end up getting your brakes worked on 2-3 times before you find a combination that works for you. I did my brakes 4 times.
I'm using OEM rotors. I guess I'll just take the loss and purchase both the shim + oem pad set. Im tired of this squealing ugh
Old 04-03-20, 08:35 AM
Osiris26
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New to forum, but just wanted to chim in. Dealt with the same problem when I first purchased my 2015 GS 350 F sport (2 piece rotor) at a Toyota dealership in 2018. Following day, after purchase the dreaded squeal started. After 2 attempts at the dealership to get the issue fixed, Toyota ended up coughing up the money and getting a lexus tech to install a new set of 2 piece rotors and pads. Some how problem solved. Fast forward to a couple days ago, getting the oil change to find out I need new pads. Decided to do the install myself seeing how easy it is compared to other cars, but dreaded the idea of having to deal with the squeal after. Until I saw this post, so decided to try the new pads (04465-30540) and shim kit (04945-30340) and no I didn't have the rotors resurfaced. Install went well and did add brake lube to shims and contact points on retaining clip. Test drove no issues or squeal and about 100 miles later still no issues. I will post if that changes. Hope this helps for anyone that is on the fence.
The following 2 users liked this post by Osiris26:
JeffKeryk (04-03-20), kennyD (04-04-20)
Old 04-04-20, 07:14 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Osiris26
New to forum, but just wanted to chim in. Dealt with the same problem when I first purchased my 2015 GS 350 F sport (2 piece rotor) at a Toyota dealership in 2018. Following day, after purchase the dreaded squeal started. After 2 attempts at the dealership to get the issue fixed, Toyota ended up coughing up the money and getting a lexus tech to install a new set of 2 piece rotors and pads. Some how problem solved. Fast forward to a couple days ago, getting the oil change to find out I need new pads. Decided to do the install myself seeing how easy it is compared to other cars, but dreaded the idea of having to deal with the squeal after. Until I saw this post, so decided to try the new pads (04465-30540) and shim kit (04945-30340) and no I didn't have the rotors resurfaced. Install went well and did add brake lube to shims and contact points on retaining clip. Test drove no issues or squeal and about 100 miles later still no issues. I will post if that changes. Hope this helps for anyone that is on the fence.
I'm over 3000 miles on these pads with no squeal. I can say that these updated pads have very low dusting. And i still have no squeal at this point.

Last edited by kennyD; 04-04-20 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-04-20, 03:47 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech here, just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents.

For ALL F-sport brake pads, there IS a left and right orientation, and if the positioning of the brake pads are incorrect, they will cause a horrendous squeal that you will not be able to get rid of. If you look at the brake pads, there will be a big chamfer on one side of the pads, this should always be facing the downward position as that's the edge that 'bites' into the rotor while stopping.

As for the TSB brake pads, from my understanding and with talking to other techs, the composition should be the same. However, the biggest difference we've noticed is the groove running through the center of the brake pads as well as differently shaped chamfers on the top and bottom edges of the brake pads.

FInally, for those of you who want a 'fix all' solution, non F-sport brake pads WITH the non F-sport shims will fit and work. We've used this combination and have quite a bit of success at eliminating brake squeal for extra sensitive customers

Hope this helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mocchan:
CAKETOWN (04-11-20), jdpdata (04-04-20), TheWizard (04-23-20)
Old 04-04-20, 06:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan

For ALL F-sport brake pads, there IS a left and right orientation, and if the positioning of the brake pads are incorrect, they will cause a horrendous squeal that you will not be able to get rid of. If you look at the brake pads, there will be a big chamfer on one side of the pads, this should always be facing the downward position as that's the edge that 'bites' into the rotor while stopping.

As for the TSB brake pads, from my understanding and with talking to other techs, the composition should be the same. However, the biggest difference we've noticed is the groove running through the center of the brake pads as well as differently shaped chamfers on the top and bottom edges of the brake pads.

FInally, for those of you who want a 'fix all' solution, non F-sport brake pads WITH the non F-sport shims will fit and work. We've used this combination and have quite a bit of success at eliminating brake squeal for extra sensitive customers

Hope this helps!

Old 04-10-20, 01:45 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If I got my pads replaced at a shop other than the delarship would they cover me under the squeal? Rotors are aftermarket I believe and I got them resurfaced.
Old 04-11-20, 07:44 AM
HUSKERnKS
Lead Lap

Received 108 Likes on 66 Posts

Just adding additional examples here. Got my front brakes done today. I have an AWD Fsport.

Resurfaced Rotors
New pads and shims

Part Numbers used on April 11th, 2020:

04465-30510 - Pad Kit
04945 - 30360 - Shim kit, Anti SQ

We shall see if the squeal is gone (mine was only the first couple brakes of the day).

Old 04-23-20, 04:29 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mocchan

Hope this helps!
Looking at the brake pad in post #78, the chamfer seems the same on both sides. How are we supposed to know which pad goes where?
Old 04-29-20, 02:57 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump. Still looking for answers.
Old 04-29-20, 03:02 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheWizard
Bump. Still looking for answers.
I agree. I wondered the same, but didn't have enough motivation to ask. Lol.

Quick Reply: TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20