GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 02:07 PM
tangierc
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jpdata do you plan on resurfacing your rotors first? I have one piece rotors, not sure which brand. Though I have Akebonos but mine are ACP1118 which are super noisy. I can't wait to get this resolved. I am going to call around and see where I can find some pads? Question again - are shims always separate from the brake kit? They're not typically part of the brake kit?

Last edited by tangierc; 02-14-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 02:16 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by tangierc
jpdata do yo uplan on resurfacing your rotors first? I have one piece rotors, not sure which brand. Though I have Akebonos but mine are ACP1118 which are super noisy. I can't wait to get this resolved. I am going to call around and see where I can find some pads? Question again - are shims always separate from the brake kit? They're not typically part of the brake kit?
I don't think I can resurface my drilled/slotted StopTech rotors. But they're fairly new. Had them installed just last year but I only have driven about 1.5K miles on them.
Shims were included with the Akebono and Centric pads. I suspect Lexus is not including them on their pads to make a profit.
If you're running all OEM rotors/pads, you should have no more squeals. Good Luck!
Old 02-14-20, 02:19 PM
tangierc
Driver

Yep. It seems the closer you are in to metro LA, the worse it is in price and each dealer has different pricing for the same part. I just called Southbay, Santa Monica, and Jim Faulk Beverly Hills, and they all start in the $150s just for the pads.
Old 02-14-20, 02:41 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Take a drive to Longo it's worth $50 savings. Plus you can demo all the free stuff. It's a nice dealership.
Old 02-15-20, 08:23 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Update:

I washed the car this morning. I noticed that there was very little brake dust if any at all. I know this because I use Sonax wheel cleaner, and saw very little color change from the wheel cleaner. It was just dirty, I mistook it for brake dust. If these pad continue to be quiet and have minimal brake dust like this, I think we've got a winner.

Oh yeah, 500 miles on these pads, still no squeal.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 09:28 AM
tangierc
Driver

Hey folks. Need some quick advice. I ordered the pads and shims yesterday and Gabriel from that dealer (listed on the another user’s invoice above) just called me that he checked my VIN and said they won’t work on my car. After all we’ve discussed on this thread based on that TSB at the top what are your thoughts? They didn’t want to ship out equipment that won’t work.

I have a 2013 GS350 FSport (2WD). If it’s it AWF that’d be news to me. I ordered the same parts as the invoice above on this thread and per the TSB.

When I run my vin on any random vin check site it only says GS350 never and FSport model of course, but the FSport is what I have.

Talk to me folks. This was not expected for me to hear. Waiting to hear from you before I call them back.
Old 02-15-20, 09:36 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by tangierc
Hey folks. Need some quick advice. I ordered the pads and shims yesterday and Gabriel from that dealer (listed on the another user’s invoice above) just called me that he checked my VIN and said they won’t work on my car. After all we’ve discussed on this thread based on that TSB at the top what are your thoughts? They didn’t want to ship out equipment that won’t work.

I have a 2013 GS350 FSport (2WD). If it’s it AWF that’d be news to me. I ordered the same parts as the invoice above on this thread and per the TSB.

When I run my vin on any random vin check site it only says GS350 never and FSport model of course, but the FSport is what I have.

Talk to me folks. This was not expected for me to hear. Waiting to hear from you before I call them back.

Post some pictures of your car & calipers, we'll know for sure.
Old 02-15-20, 10:06 AM
tangierc
Driver

May sound like a stupid question, but with the wheel off or a view of them through wheel? I need to take the wheel off first if so. Otherwise I can go grab a pic really quick.
Old 02-15-20, 10:23 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

That's odd, because my dealer ran my VIN and said these are the correct ones for my car.

2015 Gs350 Fsport RWD.
Old 02-15-20, 10:23 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Picture through wheel is fine. So did you go here to see your vehicle specifications: https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs

Here's a description of mine clearing stating I have F Sport Package. The important piece of info is Two-Piece Front-Brake Rotors, w/Four- Piston Calipers

Old 02-15-20, 10:33 AM
tangierc
Driver

OK, here's the deal folks for a little clarification. I just called Lexus of Santa Monica. I gave them the TSB number and I was told it would work for my vehicle. Their systems aren't even updated yet for the TSB. They weren't even aware of it yet. However with my VIN and the TSB number they were able to confirm that it should work. On the other hand, El Monte Lexus only had my VIN and (according to the phone call) not the TSB number so according to them it should not work on my vehicle. This was all explained to me by someone from Santa Monica's service department. It seems the disparity is whether or not they have the TSB info in their systems. However this begs the question for me now - why would El Monte have the part in stock at all if they weren't aware of the TSB? Santa Monica doesn't have the part, but is inclined to order it now that we talked even though they still have no knowledge of the TSB except for me telling them today. Additionally Santa Monica said the shims shouldn't need to be replaced - meaning you shouldn't have to order new shims with the new brakes.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-20, 10:39 AM
tangierc
Driver

Here's my calipers and info. I am going to proceed with my brake order.

Old 02-15-20, 10:40 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Get new shims man. They're $20 bucks. So much easier than cleaning off the old ones.
Old 02-15-20, 10:41 AM
tangierc
Driver

Agreed. I got the new shims too already.
Old 02-15-20, 01:38 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I just order the parts didn't even brought up TSB. I think the dealerships are confused which TSB this applies to. My car warranty is expired and I'm running all aftermarket stuff so TSB is no good for me anyways. @tangierc you definitely have F Sport.

Quick Reply: TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20