GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 01:41 PM
tangierc
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a notice that said mine are on back order unfortunately. I am not sure what you mean by TSB is no good. The parts will still work on our vehicles even if we have all aftermarket parts currently. TSB isn't a guarantee of the dealer replacing them even if it was all OEM right? I thought only recalls do that.
Old 02-17-20, 07:47 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Update:

Washed the wheels early Saturday morning, it squealed loudly with the first initial braking, then that was it. That was expected with the rotors getting wet during wash. Drove around all weekend. No squeals at all. And an added bonus, there was very little brake dust. I'll update again once I get another 500 miles on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by kennyD:
CAKETOWN (02-18-20), tangierc (02-17-20)
Old 02-18-20, 08:43 AM
tangierc
Driver

jpdata have you put your brakes on yet and if so what's your experience with them?
Old 02-18-20, 09:39 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by tangierc
jpdata have you put your brakes on yet and if so what's your experience with them?
Not yet. I'm deciding if I should invest in some tools to do this myself or let my mechanic swap the pads.
Old 02-19-20, 12:41 PM
bhuebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bhuebs
Just my Luck, I was in the same position as you, tired of the Akebano ProACT ceramic shreeeeek!!! I had them for 3-4 months and I installed some new OEM Pads about two weeks ago with the same shims you received. However, it looks like I got the old breaks (30491)… For the most part it is night and day difference. I hear the squeal once or twice in the cold on my morning commute, sometimes never. The important thing is that it’s nowhere near as noticeable as it was before and I honestly might only be hearing it because that all I have listed for while breaking, the last 4 months of my life. Also the Bite is much better, I feel like I kind of had to re-learn my brakes!

All in all I’m just seconding what kennyD has already told you. Switch back to OEM, deal with the dirty wheels and enjoy the quiet/better bite. You won’t regret the $80-$100 you spent.
Reporting in on my set up described above. Though I do not have the "new" pads from the TSB (missed it by a few weeks) I did get the same Shims as kennyD. Since I wrote my last post, any squeals have I mentioned have gone away. The dust is back :| but no god awful squeal. Just throwing this out here because I think the biggest difference in the sound department is the fact that kennyD and I switched from ceramic back to OEM semi-metallic. Maybe the shims too.
Old 02-19-20, 12:59 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Reporting in on my set up described above. Though I do not have the "new" pads from the TSB (missed it by a few weeks) I did get the same Shims as kennyD. Since I wrote my last post, any squeals have I mentioned have gone away. The dust is back :| but no god awful squeal. Just throwing this out here because I think the biggest difference in the sound department is the fact that kennyD and I switched from ceramic back to OEM semi-metallic. Maybe the shims too.
Maybe look into ceramic coating the wheels as to make the dust easier to clean off, glad it's no longer squeaking for you though.
Old 02-19-20, 01:44 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

You guys are giving new hope. Just setup an appt with my boy Tommy this weekend to swap out these pads. I don't care if these pad produces more brake dust, I'll just wash the wheels more often.
Old 02-19-20, 07:58 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Did you get your rotors resurfaced as well? I suspect that this played a role in the whole process for me.

Btw. The new pads haven't been dusting nearly as much as I remember the original OEM ones. It rained all day in dallas/fort worth today, so I have dirty wheels again. So this week won't be a good one to check on brake dust for me. But I'm glad that you've gotten a fix for the squeal. Please keep us updated on your brakes in the upcoming days to as to if it is a long term fix.
Old 02-19-20, 08:02 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Maybe look into ceramic coating the wheels as to make the dust easier to clean off, glad it's no longer squeaking for you though.
FWIW, my wheels are coated with Gtechniq Wheel Armor. I don't find it easier to clean, just easier to dry with a blower once they're thoroughly rinsed. What does work really well for me on removing brake dust is Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. I have this in a 3L jug because I love it so much.
Old 02-20-20, 11:01 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyD
FWIW, my wheels are coated with Gtechniq Wheel Armor. I don't find it easier to clean, just easier to dry with a blower once they're thoroughly rinsed. What does work really well for me on removing brake dust is Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus. I have this in a 3L jug because I love it so much.
Yea i got the Sonax wheel cleaner big jug also, i plan on coating my wheels both summers and winters with Tacsystem Magic Plus once spring/summer hits here. Heat resistant to 800C.

Last edited by CAKETOWN; 02-20-20 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-20-20, 11:08 AM
tangierc
Driver

My brakes and shims (from the TSB) just arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll get them put on this weekend. I spoke to my mechanic though already and he said that it will not be necessary to resurface the rotors. I explained the reasons why per this discussion here. My rotors aren't very old. He feels a this point it won't make a difference and I'll be sacrificing some life of my rotors. He'll do it of course if I want him to.

I could always just have the brakes put on. See how it goes and if I get the incessant shreek, then I just go back and have the rotors resurfaced.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-20-20, 11:51 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 526 Likes on 359 Posts

My brakes and shims (from the TSB) just arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll get them put on this weekend. I spoke to my mechanic though already and he said that it will not be necessary to resurface the rotors. I explained the reasons why per this discussion here. My rotors aren't very old. He feels a this point it won't make a difference and I'll be sacrificing some life of my rotors. He'll do it of course if I want him to.

I could always just have the brakes put on. See how it goes and if I get the incessant shreek, then I just go back and have the rotors resurfaced.

Your thoughts?
I would resurface the rotors. Just a slight skim cleanup.
Do it once, do it right. Don't fools around.
Good luck.
Old 02-20-20, 12:50 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default kennyd:

am i wrong or is your diagram showing double shims for each pad?
Old 02-20-20, 01:19 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Your thoughts?
Sounds like a plan chief! Tell your mechanic if it squeals again with the new pads, then he shouldn't charge you to resurface the rotors. Lol

I will add that if you decide to resurface, our rotors are just a tad larger than many lathes can handle. Make sure your mechanic has the right brake lathe that can accommodate our larger rotor diameter.

Last edited by kennyD; 02-20-20 at 01:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tangierc (02-20-20)
Old 02-20-20, 01:25 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by daddiojigg
am i wrong or is your diagram showing double shims for each pad?
Yeah it does show double shims. Which I think is not correct. Because if you you look at the way they're designed, they really can't be layered, the retainer hole would not line up correctly. The bent portion wouldn't sit correct on top of another shim. I pulled that diagram directly from a Lexus parts site. These shims are thick, they have a layer of rubber (at least I think it's rubber) on the side that makes contact with the pad.

Quick Reply: TSB For Brake Squeal: L-SB-0001-20