GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Vibration question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-20, 04:36 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Vibration question

I have something that I've never quite experienced before. I recently purchased a 2013 GS 350 F Sport with 100K on it. I had new tires put on, new brakes and rotors and about to install new front struts. About a 2K ago I began noticing a vibration coming from the front right wheel area only when the steering wheel was slightly tilted to the right. It really isn't noticeable until you are going highway speeds, low speed in town gives no real feedback or noise.

If the road was straight, no issues, if the road crown had the wheel tilted to the left smooth as glass but once I had to tilt the steering wheel to the right I could feel and vibration and hear it from what felt like the front left suspension. I had a shop replace the front wheel bearing and it made zero difference. So now I am wondering if the right wheel bearing is the culprit and the vibration is transferring? I am taking the car back to the shop as apparently they replaced a perfectly fine bearing but I have never had such a situation where the slightest movement of the steering wheel to the right has caused this feedback.

I'm baffled.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-20, 04:52 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,272 Likes on 984 Posts

Did you diagnose the issue and tell the shop to replace only the left bearing? That's what your post says. Why not let the shop put the car on a lift to check all the front suspension components for wear and wiggle? It could also be a steering component.
Old 02-09-20, 05:05 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,151 Likes on 849 Posts

Have the shop check the wheels to see if they are out of round - they might need to be trued.
Old 02-09-20, 05:09 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

I told them the symptoms, the lead mechanic said it sounded like a wheel bearing which I left up to him to diagnose the real issue. That is why I am expecting some credit toward the real need from that unnecessary repair. I have tested the suspension pieces myself when I replaced the brakes and rotors and couldn't find anything loose. My strut should arrive today and I will install those and have them perform the alignment.

They have done quite a bit of work for me over the years on all our vehicles so I am not anticipating any real issues getting a fair resolution. IMHO, once he took off the wheel he should have confirmed the need for the bearing as I just didn't say "replace the wheel bearing". If they did that, which I do think is what happened. It's on them.

I've just never had an issue where the break of the vibration was so well defined like this. No noise, grind, etc moving the wheel lock to lock at slow speeds or sitting so I don't think it'si the steering rack. I just had the car four-wheel aligned at Lexus and they had zero concerns.
Old 02-09-20, 05:12 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

Brand new tires on stock rims with none bent. Brand new rotors and brakes as well and the same issue and the brand new front left wheel bearing.
Old 02-09-20, 05:14 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

They are good, as mentioned earlier. The tires have only been on the car about 3K. I am wondering if one of the tires is the culprit and will have a quick rotate to see if the issue moves to the other side as the GS 350 F Sport can only rotate side to side.
Old 02-09-20, 05:44 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

First, I never said "it's the wheel bearing" he did. As I stated I told them what the symptoms where. Did he test drive it? I don't know but I will find out in the morning.

I certainly do not agree with your opinion regarding how a good client should be managed. I do understand the error but if I go to a doctor and tell them something hurts and give them my opinion I really don't think he's going to just go with what I say nor should he. Right?
Old 02-09-20, 06:19 PM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
If you took his advice that "it's the wheel bearing" and you didn't ask him why he thinks that is the problem...and don't know whether he even drove the car to make that analysis, then both of you are lacking in good logic.
First, your opinions regarding a conversation that you weren't part of with a repair shop that has been servicing my family's cars for years have zero bearings on the vibration issue. I pretty much classify those comments as classic social media asshat syndrome. So unless you actually might have experience regarding the vibration I don't need your input as to conversation you were NOT part of. Understood? Move along if you haven't anything of value to add to the original question or go waste the night fighting over political disagreements on Facebook or something else to pass your time.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kwoojhawk:
Im2bz2p345 (02-10-20), OUT FOX EM (02-09-20), signdetres (02-11-20)
Old 02-10-20, 02:49 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

why not just go bak to the shop and let them know it didnt fix the problem. most of the time they will not charge u again for misdiagnosed
Old 02-10-20, 07:56 AM
Kwoojhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by richard203
why not just go bak to the shop and let them know it didnt fix the problem. most of the time they will not charge u again for misdiagnosed
Richard, I had mentioned that I was going back today, which I did this morning.

The tech did not drive the car at high speed before or after the installation of the wheel bearing even when told (he was part of the original conversation). Now they feel it's the wheel bearing on the passenger side is the culprit and will replace it tomorrow for free. Contrary to what some overly opinionated folks think on here the conversation was open and honest with a firm that I have come to trust and they did the right thing and my service advisor made sure I was taken care of.
Old 02-10-20, 08:14 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwoojhawk
I have something that I've never quite experienced before. I recently purchased a 2013 GS 350 F Sport with 100K on it. I had new tires put on, new brakes and rotors and about to install new front struts. About a 2K ago I began noticing a vibration coming from the front right wheel area only when the steering wheel was slightly tilted to the right. It really isn't noticeable until you are going highway speeds, low speed in town gives no real feedback or noise.

If the road was straight, no issues, if the road crown had the wheel tilted to the left smooth as glass but once I had to tilt the steering wheel to the right I could feel and vibration and hear it from what felt like the front left suspension. I had a shop replace the front wheel bearing and it made zero difference. So now I am wondering if the right wheel bearing is the culprit and the vibration is transferring? I am taking the car back to the shop as apparently they replaced a perfectly fine bearing but I have never had such a situation where the slightest movement of the steering wheel to the right has caused this feedback.

I'm baffled.

Thanks.
With 100K miles on the car it has to have a worn front suspension part causing your issue.
Old 02-10-20, 11:41 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

It sucks when mechanics change something and it doesn't fit the issue. Unless the mechanic made a massive error of judgement I don't think they owe the customer anything, it's just the way it goes. They're not psychics but the good ones will either try and return/resell the item or at least not mark it up...
Old 02-11-20, 10:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
It sucks when mechanics change something and it doesn't fit the issue. Unless the mechanic made a massive error of judgement I don't think they owe the customer anything, it's just the way it goes. They're not psychics but the good ones will either try and return/resell the item or at least not mark it up...
Facts:
The mechanic decided what the problem was based solely on what the owner verbally described to him.
The mechanic never drove the car to analyze the problem - before or after the repair!
The owner took the mechanic's 'psychic' advice and agreed to the repair.
Now that the repair did not fix the problem the owner expects some credit toward the next attempt to fix the problem.

Questions:
Did the mechanic properly analyze what the problem was? I say No!
Does the mechanic owe the owner a credit for the repair that didn't fix the problem? I say No!
Did the mechanic or owner use good logic? I say No!

Old 02-11-20, 02:06 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Questions:
Does the mechanic owe the owner a credit for the repair that didn't fix the problem? I say No!
A fair conclusion but at least they're doing the other hub for free. A bit of a mess of a thread bit after rereading, this is something that can only be sorted out by the OP and the mechanic. Ask them what you have asked here. Wheel hubs for our car are bloody expensive, maybe they can't just return them? Make sure you keep the OK one to sell it on.

Few of our cars are old enough to have symptoms, maybe the 3gs forum will yield more answers. I know they're different but it may offer the best advice from strangers who've never seen the car...
Old 02-11-20, 02:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Facts:
The mechanic decided what the problem was based solely on what the owner verbally described to him.
The mechanic never drove the car to analyze the problem - before or after the repair!
The owner took the mechanic's 'psychic' advice and agreed to the repair.
Now that the repair did not fix the problem the owner expects some credit toward the next attempt to fix the problem.

Questions:
Originally Posted by Cwang
A fair conclusion but at least they're doing the other hub for free. A bit of a mess of a thread bit after rereading, this is something that can only be sorted out by the OP and the mechanic. Ask them what you have asked here. Wheel hubs for our car are bloody expensive, maybe they can't just return them? Make sure you keep the OK one to sell it on.

Few of our cars are old enough to have symptoms, maybe the 3gs forum will yield more answers. I know they're different but it may offer the best advice from strangers who've never seen the car...
In my opinion (as I told the OP which upset him) neither the owner or the mechanic used good logic the first go-around. If they continue trying to solve the problem in the same unreliable and irresponsible manner both the owner and the mechanic are in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-12-20 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Vibration question