Squeaky Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-20, 07:03 AM
iamsammy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Breaks

Hey guys!

I recently replaced my rotor at a shop using non oem rotors. After couple weeks it started to squeak like crazy. The shop said that because its non-oem they will squeak. To me that made no sense. I then went to a different shop to get my tires replaced and the worker said your rotors are on backwards. The left should be on the right and the right should be on the left. My rotors has directional vanes. I provided and image on here and wanted to know if this is how the rotors should on correctly?

The way the shop put the rotors on, they did it the opposite way. But they kept arguing to me that they installed it correctly. I told them they are most likely warped and they tried to resurface the rotors and put them on the way the picture is placed. However it is squeaking even more. Is it because most likely the rotors are warped? They are going to replace it under warranty but want to make sure that the image above is correct? Or could it be because it is cheap non-oem parts? thanks guys!
Old 02-10-20, 08:01 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by iamsammy84
Hey guys!

I recently replaced my rotor at a shop using non oem rotors. After couple weeks it started to squeak like crazy. The shop said that because its non-oem they will squeak. To me that made no sense. I then went to a different shop to get my tires replaced and the worker said your rotors are on backwards. The left should be on the right and the right should be on the left. My rotors has directional vanes. I provided and image on here and wanted to know if this is how the rotors should on correctly?

The way the shop put the rotors on, they did it the opposite way. But they kept arguing to me that they installed it correctly. I told them they are most likely warped and they tried to resurface the rotors and put them on the way the picture is placed. However it is squeaking even more. Is it because most likely the rotors are warped? They are going to replace it under warranty but want to make sure that the image above is correct? Or could it be because it is cheap non-oem parts? thanks guys!
If you have an F Sport, the prevailing opinion (it's pretty much a fact) is that non-oem rotors will squeak. Nothing to do about it expect getting OEM rotors. Now I think with a non fsport you have more options. I still went oem rotors, but was able to get aftermarket pads.

I can't speak to what one shop did or did not do, but you would think a reputable place would not install rotors wrong...
Old 02-10-20, 08:20 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I don't think the squeaking has anything to do with having the rotors on backwards. The problem is caused between the contact of the pad to the rotor, not the fins inside the rotor. With the fins(inside rotor) pointed the wrong way the only thing that it should affect is the airflow through the rotor for cooling. The shop is correct about the non-oem causing squeaking. Many on here with the f-sport who had squeaking resolved it with oem one piece rotors and oem pads.

Also there is an updated part number for the oem pads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0001-20-a.html

Also don't forget to install the oem shims.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-10-20 at 08:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (02-10-20)
Old 02-10-20, 08:40 AM
iamsammy84
Driver School Candidate

I assumed because the rotors werent getting cooled correctly because they were on wrong would warp the rotors?
Old 02-10-20, 08:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I assumed because the rotors werent getting cooled correctly because they were on wrong would warp the rotors?
Unless your tracking the car(constant heavy braking) I doubt you would warp the rotors. The rotors simply don't get hot enough from normal street use. Not to mention all the holes in your rotors are supposed to help with cooling. If your rotors were warped you would feel vibrations when you brake.

If the rotors are on backwards I would want them to correct that, but I don't think that will resolve your squeaking issue.
Old 02-10-20, 08:53 AM
iamsammy84
Driver School Candidate

got it. so my only option is getting OEM front rotors with OEM brake pads? no other options?
Old 02-10-20, 08:58 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

got it. so my only option is getting OEM front rotors with OEM brake pads? no other options?
That's the only for sure way I know of, but search the threads there are several on the squeaking issue. If you were doing the work yourself I would say try the updated part number for the oem pads with the oem shims first since that costs much less than changing the rotors.
Old 02-10-20, 09:00 AM
iamsammy84
Driver School Candidate

is there any other places to buy OEM rotors for a cheaper price than go through Lexus? thank you!
Old 02-10-20, 09:06 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

is there any other places to buy OEM rotors for a cheaper price than go through Lexus? thank you!
https://parts.lexusofwestkendall.com/ has some of the best prices for parts online with shipping for a usa based lexus dealer, much cheaper than paying full price at your local dealer.

Old 02-10-20, 09:42 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Are those the StopTech rotors? I have the same rotors, they squeals like crazy. Pretty sure my installer put them on correctly. I've tried multiple brands (Akebono, Centric) of ceramic pads, it still squeals. Only option now is to go back to OEM 2pc rotors and pads. I will try the new pad P/N 04465-30540. If you do try the new pads, would you please post back if it rid of the squeal for you? You're the only other member that I know of that is running same StopTech rotors as me. I'd rather keep the StopTech rotors if it does work with the new pads.
Old 02-10-20, 09:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Are those the StopTech rotors? I have the same rotors, they squeals like crazy. Pretty sure my installer put them on correctly. I've tried multiple brands (Akebono, Centric) of ceramic pads, it still squeals. Only option now is to go back to OEM 2pc rotors and pads. I will try the new pad P/N 04465-30540. If you do try the new pads, would you please post back if it rid of the squeal for you? You're the only other member that I know of that is running same StopTech rotors as me. I'd rather keep the StopTech rotors if it does work with the new pads.
You can also go with oem 1 piece rotors. there was a TSB for clicking 2-piece rotors and the fix was to swap for the one piece. The one piece also costs considerably less than the two piece. But your correct the updated part number for the new pads might resolve the issue, otherwise the only way is to change the rotor also.
Old 02-10-20, 10:01 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
You can also go with oem 1 piece rotors. there was a TSB for clicking 2-piece rotors and the fix was to swap for the one piece. The one piece also costs considerably less than the two piece. But your correct the updated part number for the new pads might resolve the issue, otherwise the only way is to change the rotor also.
Yeah, I know I can go OEM 1pc rotor. My original OEM 2pc are still in good shape. I took them off at 18K miles, they had very little wear on them. So if all else failed, I'll just swap back my OEM rotors and try the new pads.
Old 02-10-20, 10:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Yeah, I know I can go OEM 1pc rotor. My original OEM 2pc are still in good shape. I took them off at 18K miles, they had very little wear on them. So if all else failed, I'll just swap back my OEM rotors and try the new pads.
Agree, 18k on rotors is nothing, still practically a virgin. My car still has the original rotors about 100k miles.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-10-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-20, 01:45 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Did you say you were an F Sport? Because if not you can go non-OEM pads, if you wanted.

And I got the best prices on OEM on lexuspartsnow.com